Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So how do you feel when you put in a full days work knowing that a welfare queen got paid the same as you to do nothing.
If people on welfare are making as much as you, then the problem is not welfare, but the job you are holding. Stop being such a whiny sniveling wingnut and blaming people on welfare since you do not have the skills to hold down a decent job. Gosh, you people look for anyone to blame, except yourselves.

What are you? An illegal Guatemalan dishwasher? Heck, even they earn more than people on welfare.

Quote:
Do you feel any richer since Obama got his tax increase on "all working" Americans including from the poor working class ...
That was due to Republicans. Obama gave us a payroll tax holiday that Republicans adamantly fought against, once again showing how twisted wingnuts are.

They first complain about the payroll tax holiday, then throw a fit when it expires, despite them fighting against it tooth and nail.

Quote:
Sorry but when you cheered and voted for Obama
But I didn't vote for Obama.

Quote:
when you thought Obama was only going after the rich you deserve the lesson. Hows that smaller paycheck working out for you?
Republicans raised my taxes since they were against the payroll tax holiday. Obama was for it.

Seriously, this is a practice in idiocy.

Last edited by A Common Anomaly; 03-18-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Reagan actually gave people a clue on how to lift themselves up -- by their own bootstraps -- and lo and behold, the wealth gap actually narrowed
Pure and utter BS.

Where did you get this information? This is delusional nonsense that simply cannot be demonstrated outside of la-la land. Once again, demonstrating that rwnj live in la-la land.

Last edited by A Common Anomaly; 03-18-2013 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Definitely - lets take it a bit further. Since Republicans hate public universities and public research and public investment in roads and environment etc, lets just move the Republicans to barren areas with no government investment and/or control. Lets also detach Republicans from any sort of public weather alerting system or alerts, and also let them clean their own drinking water and build pipelines from water sources. We can also remove any public police PDs and fire departments because Republicans can so damn well take care of themselves with the millions of guns they own - they dont need to damn gubmit! We can also restrict immigration of any sort to these republican areas so that its a nice homogeneous white society. This would be the ideal scenario for people who thrive on government hate.
Just because your post was shown to be foolish, you can't go strawmanning "Republicans hate this" and "Republicans hate that" in ridiculous exaggerations now in some attempt to save face.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the democrats are doing exactly what for the poor?

Giving people all kinds of big government handouts is only making them dependent, helpless, and lazy. The problem with pity is that it's a terrible emotion. The poor should not want to be forever pitied and looked down upon as incapable helpless people who can never be expected to do anything for themselves. That is downgrading, not uplifting.

Reagan actually gave people a clue on how to lift themselves up -- by their own bootstraps -- and lo and behold, the wealth gap actually narrowed, today it is widening. Promoting helplessness is not about helping people at all. Maybe democrats are actually afraid of having the poor out there working and building up themselves -- that might make them too equal.
A lot of the increased wealth gap was widened significantly by the financial sector/mortgage meltdown of 2008 before Obama took the oath of office for his first term. I saw an excellent fact based documentary about it. There was also extensive fraud associated with that mismanagement.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:14 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
I must say, this thread is filled with very compelling arguments regarding welfare, all of which I agree with surprisingly. I wasn't trying to play the blame game over why so many Americans have dropped out of the workforce and are perfectly contempt being poor as long as they have government assistance. I'm guessing 90% of those on welfare, especially those of which are unemployed, are capable of working. Look at a place like China where almost the entire population is working, you think their people are more capable of doing work than ours or is it that are people (not all of us, but a 'few' million) aren't willing to work? We need to stop making welfare look desirable. I know one person that was fired from his job for the lack of being able to sell, his unemployment is about half of what he use to make and it's weekly, and he hasn't decided to seriously apply for a job just yet because the job he use to have was high-stress and being out of work seems more desirable than working. I'm not for that type of life for my fellow Americans, especially those such as himself that are capable of working.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It was none other than Bill Clinton who brought in welfare reform (passed in 1994 or 1996) and set standards for that program that were long overdue. It was one of the few areas where he and Newt Gingrich agreed as I remember. You need to do better research.
From another post I made in this same thread:
Quote:
President Clinton and the Republicans joined together to reform welfare so that people would be encouraged not to stay on it all their lives. The reforms resulted in less people on welfare without the poverty level dropping, so therefore people were getting off welfare and getting jobs.
So take your condescending "You need to do better research" and apply it to yourself.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
If people on welfare are making as much as you, then the problem is not welfare, but the job you are holding. Stop being such a whiny sniveling wingnut and blaming people on welfare since you do not have the skills to hold down a decent job. Gosh, you people look for anyone to blame, except yourselves.

What are you? An illegal Guatemalan dishwasher? Heck, even they earn more than people on welfare.
The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for non-welfare recipients is $25 per hour but because they pay taxes, unlike welfare recipients, the wage is bumped down to $21 per hour.

"Poor" Households Getting $168 in Welfare Per Day from Taxpayers - Katie Pavlich

I don't think all do this well and it depends on the circumstances. Whats wrong Common Anomaly, do you feel I am threatening **** welfare?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Pure and utter BS. Only in your cracker jack box fantasy world.

Seriously, where do rwnj get their information?

This is absolutely purely delusional nonsense. Once again, demonstrating that rwnj live in la-la land. You people are so bereft from reality.
You're wrong. The wealth gap did narrow under Reagan, the black middle class grew. Many people moved out of poverty.

The wealth gap is widening under Obama, more people are living off government handouts than ever before. In many parts of the country now, more babies are born to welfare households than to working, taxpaying couples.

https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/02/27-8

The wealth gap between blacks and whites in the U.S. has drastically widened in the last 25 years, nearly tripling since the days of the Reagan administration, according to a new report from Brandeis University.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The Senate Budget Committee has released a report showing households living below the poverty line and receiving welfare payments are raking in the equivalent of $168 per day in benefits which come in the form of food stamps, housing, childcare, healthcare and more. The median household income in 2011 was $50,054, totaling $137.13 per day. Welfare payments are equivalent to making $30 per hour for 40 hours a week. The median wage for non-welfare recipients is $25 per hour but because they pay taxes, unlike welfare recipients, the wage is bumped down to $21 per hour.

"Poor" Households Getting $168 in Welfare Per Day from Taxpayers - Katie Pavlich

I don't think all do this well and it depends on the circumstances. Whats wrong Common Anomaly, do you feel I am threatening **** welfare?
Yawn...townhall.

Pass.

Next time use a valid source.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Welfare recipients take out cash at strip clubs, liquor stores and X-rated shops
EXCLUSIVE: Welfare recipients using EBT cards to get cash at strip clubs, X-rated video stores and bars - NYPOST.com

roughly 80 overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs that together represented the single largest budget item in 2011 — more than the nation spends on Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. The total amount spent on these federal programs, when taken together with approximately $280 billion in state contributions, amounted to roughly $1 trillion.”
Money spent on welfare recipients exceeds average U.S. income - BizPac Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies