Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, a soda cup size limitation should be done on a local level.
And under what criteria do you determine this?

Quote:
Actually the welfare that goes to our poorer states is to help all Americans, but some of us here only like our own kind it seems.
Okay.

And where is that exactly in the bill of rights?

If you support the soda law, does this "help all Americans" and if so, why should that not be federal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The State movements to secede from the Union show an increasing dissatisfaction with the central control of America by Washington DC.

We are seeing increasing defiance and dissatisfaction of a government people feel is no longer representative of their needs or in touch with reality.
It is my opinion that this is due to the centralization of power in Washington which is direct contrast to the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

Every usurpation of power by the Federal Government, is a breach of the agreement between the people and the government, and adds to the disenfranchisement of the citizens.
It is also causing a division in the citizens that is now so visceral and full of hatred and mistrust that we no longer see ourselves as a united country.
The only way I see to address these issues is a concerted effort to decentralize America and to return the powers illegally usurped by the Federal Government to the States.

We need to resist the people who would impose their view of America on everyone else. What works for people is cities, does not necessarily work for people in rural America and vice versa. What works for one State does not necessarily work for another, and yet we have a micro representation of people in Washington with questionable knowledge and ethics deciding blanket policies for everyone as if there are one single solution for every problem. It is insanity, and it is going to cause increasing amounts of hate and mistrust in our people.

Did you know when the CSA wrote their constitution, they expressly forbade the states the right to secede? Strange that a movement for state's rights and secession would forbid the thing they claimed the loudest...

History, it's a *****.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is no strong secession movement. The current movement is less a increasing dissatisfaction with the central control of America but is instead dissatisfaction from people who are pissed off that the black president won re-election.
Well that's original. Call them racist.

And the OP's sentiments would be shared by a much larger group of people than just secessionists.

Quote:
The government isn't any more central than it had been under Bush -- but the right-wing was quite then.
The government isn't any more central than it was under Bush? That's interesting, I could have sworn we just passed a massive health care bill. I must have been confused.

Even were that not the case, dissatisfaction takes time to grow.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And under what criteria do you determine this?

Okay.

And where is that exactly in the bill of rights?

If you support the soda law, does this "help all Americans" and if so, why should that not be federal?
Never said the soda law should be imposed on a federal level, unless almost all local and state levels already enforced it.

Alright, I am off to work, I am sure this thread will be up to 20+ pages by this evening.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules
They should eliminate the direct election of Senators and the federal income tax.

This limits the power of the feds enough that can no longer steal power.

It wouldn't hurt if they got rid of the Federal Reserve also.
You really don't care about democracy and would rather trust politicians in the states to pick U.S. Senators instead of the voters? The reason is clear, you favor this because most state legislatures are gerrymandered to favor Republicans. So, instead of Republicans winning because they have better ideas, you just want to change the rules to get Republican rule. The founding fathers would be proud -- not.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Never said the soda law should be imposed on a federal level, unless almost all local and state levels already enforced it.
I never said you did. I asked you, under what criteria do you determine this?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yawn.

That's the dopiest thing I ever read on C-D.
Thank you for your in-depth analysis. Coming from someone that thinks that the people shouldn't elected Senators, and instead they should be picked by state hacks, I wear you comment as a badge of honor.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
I am not talking on an individual level, I am talking on a State level. I think it is very important for people who are making less to keep more of their money to support themselves.
The feds get their money from the States, or the people.

You support taking money from individuals when you support the federal government meddling in all kinds of poppycock they don't belong in.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
You really don't care about democracy and would rather trust politicians in the states to pick U.S. Senators instead of the voters? The reason is clear, you favor this because most state legislatures are gerrymandered to favor Republicans. So, instead of Republicans winning because they have better ideas, you just want to change the rules to get Republican rule. The founding fathers would be proud -- not.

Apparently what you don't realize is that the founding fathers set the system up in such a way, and it remained as such until 1913, long after they were gone.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The feds get their money from the States, or the people.

You support taking money from individuals when you support the federal government meddling in all kinds of poppycock they don't belong in.
Please detail which "poppycock," in detail, that you object?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies