Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 PM

84 posts, read 83,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are well aware that we have state and local governments in this country too that have a huge effect on your life? I think this would be a bad idea because most of our southern and Midwest states would suffer and I have no interest in punishing Americans cause I want my state to keep all of its tax dollars.
Tha't mighty generous of you (with other people's money). Have you, by chance, consulted with a substantial number of your fellow state residients?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah, they would much rather claim ownership of your or I's labor because it is easier than taking responsibility for their own lives.

Funny how these people purport to be against slavery, and like to make emotional arguments against states rights based on it.... Yet they literally think they own other peoples labor, they are entitled to it. Guess slavery is fine as long as it isn't racist.

If taking 100% of someone's labor is slavery, at what percentage does is stop being slavery? These folks will undoubtedly actually give me a percentage that they dictate as fair, without realizing that they are arguing about what degree of slavery is acceptable, not whether or not slavery is acceptable.
There is all kinds of Slavery, I know many a married person, usually the wife that will say they are slaves. You guys take a vary different take on slavery, not the one that's in the dictionary....So, correct me if I am wrong, You see any thing , person, Government, that mandates you pay anything in the form of earnings ( not Always cash) to them for privileges /services. Could be anything that is required of you to pay for, including things you ask for, like utilities as an example ? What I am trying to understand is wether you consider some things you get as free?, even the highways you drive on. .. You see where I am coming from, some things you can not avoid unless you become a hermit and live off the grid, have no car, ,nothing anyone pays for. I would include insurance companies, as most cases people are required to buy insurance by a government. Health insurance is the worst. People are intimidated into buying coverage even if you are not sick.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
I think there's a big push and a big trend to localize corruption as it is easier to buy local governments and have them kick up to the regional leaders.

This "states rights" movement is to push for a more Mexico-style government of local governments going unchecked.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There is all kinds of Slavery, I know many a married person, usually the wife that will say they are slaves. You guys take a vary different take on slavery, not the one that's in the dictionary....So, correct me if I am wrong, You see any thing , person, Government, that mandates you pay anything in the form of earnings ( not Always cash) to them for privileges /services. Could be anything that is required of you to pay for, including things you ask for, like utilities as an example ? What I am trying to understand is wether you consider some things you get as free?, even the highways you drive on. .. You see where I am coming from, some things you can not avoid unless you become a hermit and live off the grid, have no car, ,nothing anyone pays for. I would include insurance companies, as most cases people are required to buy insurance by a government. Health insurance is the worst. People are intimidated into buying coverage even if you are not sick.

Uh, no, I don't think of anything as free. You are the one trying to have your life subsidized by other people. I want to pay for EVERYTHING I use, and I want to pay market value for products and services. What I don't want is to be FORCED to pay for services I may not need or use, and if I am going to use a service, I want to choose the provider, not be forced into a government monopoly.

This includes roads and other infrastructure.

Seriously? Wives think they are slaves? You are kidding right?

I am going to ask you two questions, please answer them as you ignored my questions in my last post directed at you.

Do wives have their labor extracted from them under the threat of violence?

Is it slavery if you take 100% of the earnings from another human's labor?

Oh, and you are 100% wrong on the dictionary definition of slavery, dude. And we are 100% right:

Slavery
1. system based on enslaved labor: the practice of, or a system based on, using the enforced labor of other people

2. condition of being enslaved laborer: the state or condition of being held in involuntary servitude as the property of somebody else

Notice that the definition does not split hairs on what percentage of labor you take without my consent, the fact that you take it makes it slavery.

How in the hell can I be a free man, if other people can use violence to force me to pay for things I may not use or want?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I think there's a big push and a big trend to localize corruption as it is easier to buy local governments and have them kick up to the regional leaders.

This "states rights" movement is to push for a more Mexico-style government of local governments going unchecked.

Yeah, the biggest, most corrupt government to ever exist on earth is much more preferable.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Interesting, Mexico has the exact same structure of government as we do...

Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Yeah, the biggest, most corrupt government to ever exist on earth is much more preferable.
At least they are consistent and good at what they do.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Uh, no, I don't think of anything as free. You are the one trying to have your life subsidized by other people. I want to pay for EVERYTHING I use, and I want to pay market value for products and services. What I don't want is to be FORCED to pay for services I may not need or use, and if I am going to use a service, I want to choose the provider, not be forced into a government monopoly.

This includes roads and other infrastructure.

Seriously? Wives think they are slaves? You are kidding right?

I am going to ask you two questions, please answer them as you ignored my questions in my last post directed at you.

Do wives have their labor extracted from them under the threat of violence?

Is it slavery if you take 100% of the earnings from another human's labor?

Oh, and you are 100% wrong on the dictionary definition of slavery, dude. And we are 100% right:

Slavery
1. system based on enslaved labor: the practice of, or a system based on, using the enforced labor of other people

2. condition of being enslaved laborer: the state or condition of being held in involuntary servitude as the property of somebody else

Notice that the definition does not split hairs on what percentage of labor you take without my consent, the fact that you take it makes it slavery.

How in the hell can I be a free man, if other people can use violence to force me to pay for things I may not use or want?
Go back a few posts where you ref. that you were getting something free ? I am short of time, getting ready to go off the grid for the holiday, noon today or sooner which ever comes first.

I worked 55 years for this, paid in all those years, I dam sure will take advantage of it...only a fool would not, including Medicare, which you have little choice anyway. Since I turned 65 insurance costs have gone down a lot, including drugs. OK by me, so if I am taking things for free, well I am here to tell you it was NOT free all those years.

Yes it is slavery on both counts, except, some women have been dumped on so badly by not only some low life drunk, but they have been fighting the system as well, being treated as second class and in some cases considered no class at all, remember Women were once considered as property. It was not that long ago they finally got the right to vote, so soon so many forget...

its a stretch when you define slavery the way you do. I am here to tell you your thinking on that is not shared by most people.....No one can force you to do anything, if you do not like the system , leave, its that simple. In a small way I have done just that by leaving NC. when I did a few years ago now, I loved the mountains, but not the politics nor the power of the Evangelical church that ran so many peoples lives, some were friends of mine too.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Stop talking to me if you won't read my posts. I clearly said that I am not trying to link THE DEBT NUMBERS to state rights... it is right there, clear as day... seriously go read it again.
I've read all your posts. Several times.

I've gathered from reading your posts that to you, decentralizing the federal government does not mean its dissolution, but rather shifting power from the federal government to the states. I've asked you to tell us which powers you want the states to exercise that they currently aren't exercising, and which powers you want the federal government to stop exercising that it's currently exercising.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounds Complete View Post
Tha't mighty generous of you (with other people's money). Have you, by chance, consulted with a substantial number of your fellow state residients?
No, have you talked to your fellow state residents about not accepting those tax dollars that we blue states give your red states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies