Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,430,483 times

Advertisements

The middle class should not just be "income" based. it isn't enough to say the average salary is about 97k a year (dual income).

That allows people from the "working class" to be technically in the middle class. It puts a wrong view on the middle class. . .i.e. that its in decline, when reality it is the working class that may be in decline when their skills/labor does not equal the global wage.

So to be middle class you should need not only a specific salary, but also a specific education level. I..e Middle class requires at least a 2 year technical degree, or a 4 year bachelors.

I want to focus our energy on people who are doing the minimum required to compete globally. I really don't care if people with no education and low skills aren't getting jobs. Those people will be less and less relevant (and normally don't vote anyway).

From Wikipedia - The middle class is a class of people in the middle of a societal hierarchy. In Weberian socio-economic terms, the middle class is the broad group of people in contemporary society who fall socio-economically between the working class and upper class. The common measures of what constitutes middle class vary significantly among cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,640,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The middle class should not just be "income" based. it isn't enough to say the average salary is about 97k a year (dual income).

That allows people from the "working class" to be technically in the middle class. It puts a wrong view on the middle class. . .i.e. that its in decline, when reality it is the working class that may be in decline when their skills/labor does not equal the global wage.

So to be middle class you should need not only a specific salary, but also a specific education level. I..e Middle class requires at least a 2 year technical degree, or a 4 year bachelors.

I want to focus our energy on people who are doing the minimum required to compete globally. I really don't care if people with no education and low skills aren't getting jobs. Those people will be less and less relevant (and normally don't vote anyway).

From Wikipedia - The middle class is a class of people in the middle of a societal hierarchy. In Weberian socio-economic terms, the middle class is the broad group of people in contemporary society who fall socio-economically between the working class and upper class. The common measures of what constitutes middle class vary significantly among cultures.
I must be missing your point, because to me even if you have a PhD but have a low income, that makes you poor. In reality, not just because of some measurement criteria. And if someone has a high school education, but manages to make a high income, then they are wealthy. The level of education doesn't always correlate with income.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM

33,524 posts, read 18,119,846 times
We still have a middle class?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM

563 posts, read 806,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We still have a middle class?
Yes, it exists. Take your head out of doom-and-gloom websites and wake up to the world outside.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,511,820 times
Quote:

So Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg would not rise to the level of middle class according to your definition.

I sure as hell I wish I was as poor as them. This middle class stuff sucks.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,602,926 times
income/weath are the only ways you can measure class, since upper and lower class are defined by income/wealth as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,810,844 times
I just wish they would adjust it by region. By zip code would be even better.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,134,386 times
Quote:

I really don't care if people with no education and low skills aren't getting jobs.

How do you propose those people eat?

Congratulations on your new tax bill. (You don't make enough money to pay it, BTW, but at least no one will lump you in with the peons. )

Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,602,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I just wish they would adjust it by region. By zip code would be even better.
zip code goes too far IMO. then you could end up with weird scenarios, like two guys working for the same company in cupertino making identical salaries, one living in cupertino and the other commuting from gilroy, one being considered middle class, the other lower class.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,668,813 times
Quote:

The term "middle class" is old European and Marxist, so you must be a Marxist or a European. We do not have a class system in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies