Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

Joe Rogan: The American War Machine - YouTube
I think Joe Rogan has a very good point in this video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
After reading through this thread, is anyone seeing a commonality?

When politicians continue, over and over, to tell their people about mushroom clouds, dirty bombs, terrorists, and "WMD's", can we all finally wake the **** and and realize it is nothing more than hollow rhetoric the build the preface for special interest wars?

One day the US will not be a superpower and will not be able to defend itself against an invasion from foreign superpowers, and we, the American people, will feel like the poor, helpless civilians in countries around the world who, for decades, sat back helpless and watched their countries fall to pieces after the "nation builders" invaded.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM

And I'll say this until I'm blue in the face:

Why would any sound-mounded American support giving up any bit of their second amendment when we live under a government capable of such tyranny?

On one hand, gun control advocates clearly see the type of tyranny our government is capable of, and, on the other, want civilians to give up their arsenals.

I don't get it.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post

When politicians continue, over and over, to tell their people about mushroom clouds, dirty bombs, terrorists, and "WMD's", can we all finally wake the **** and and realize it is nothing more than hollow rhetoric the build the preface for special interest wars?

One day the US will not be a superpower and will not be able to defend itself against an invasion from foreign superpowers, and we, the American people, will feel like the poor, helpless civilians in countries around the world who, for decades, sat back helpless and watched their countries fall to pieces after the "nation builders" invaded.
Empires rise and fall. I personally believe that we'll fall from within, rather than some foreign invasion.

Quote:

Why would any sound-mounded American support giving up any bit of their second amendment when we live under a government capable of such tyranny?

On one hand, gun control advocates clearly see the type of tyranny our government is capable of, and, on the other, want civilians to give up their arsenals.

I don't get it.

I don't get it either. You are preaching to the choir. Given that on this thread that there are those on both sides of the aisle who agree that action in Iraq was a bad idea should serve as even more of a wake up call to stop voting for the 2 main political parties. They've proven time and again that they don't care about the general public, and instead only keeping their pockets lined.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I get very, VERY wary when our government starts beating the war drums these days.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:

Looks what is going on in Syria right now. Same gameplan being played .

Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I believe this with all my heart.

I believe that from the moment W. took the oath of office, we were destined to go into Iraq one way or another.

9/11 was just a convenient (and false) catalyst.
Couldnt have said it better.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:

I don't get it.
I think Thomas Sowell had it right when he theorized that conservatives see humans as inherently flawed and liberals see humans as perfectable. That theory would lead to the liberal to say that as the government gets more liberal, the government will get more perfect. The abuses of government are precisely because the government doesn't have enough power. If the government had the power it needs, it wouldn't go rampaging around the world trying to get more power. So we can create a more perfect government by ceding over more power to an imperfect government. I don't pretend to be as brilliant as Sowell, but that is what I get from his philosophy on the essential nature of liberal vs conservative. The conservative says the government is inherently corrupt, so limit its power as much as possible. The liberal says the government is capable of being benevolent, so give it the power it needs to be benevolent.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ten years ago today, the US invaded Iraq. We're mostly gone, can we say mission accomplished? The majority of Americans (around 70%) supported the decision to go to war at the time. I'm sure many posters here are among them. How'd you feel? If you were a supporter, what made you change your mind? As for myself, among other reasons, I was in favor of the war because it could make good television. There were other reasons, but I can't remember them anymore*. Edmund Burke said, "A conscientious man would be cautious how he dealt in blood." Wonder if our leaders followed that idea.

*Ah remember one. We need to fight them there so we don't fight them here. Since we haven't had a successful terrorist attack since the Iraq War, that worked out well. Though, more Americans died in Iraq than September 11, but perhaps the next terrorist would have been bigger.
I was against the Iraq War from the beginning.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I think Thomas Sowell had it right when he theorized that conservatives see humans as inherently flawed and liberals see humans as perfectable. That theory would lead to the liberal to say that as the government gets more liberal, the government will get more perfect. The abuses of government are precisely because the government doesn't have enough power. If the government had the power it needs, it wouldn't go rampaging around the world trying to get more power. So we can create a more perfect government by ceding over more power to an imperfect government. I don't pretend to be as brilliant as Sowell, but that is what I get from his philosophy on the essential nature of liberal vs conservative. The conservative says the government is inherently corrupt, so limit its power as much as possible. The liberal says the government is capable of being benevolent, so give it the power it needs to be benevolent.
I'm not sure how to feel about that. I am immediately suspicious of any American who staunchly sides with one political ideology or another.

We all know right from wrong but, instead, we've put our conscious in our back pockets in favor of "choosing a side"

We've all failed to realize that this "divide and conquer" strategy our federal government has used for decades not only demoralizes the American public, but it undermines the power of the people. We've lost control of our country, and nobody should be surprised if they wake up one day to find that our country, in essence, has been dictated by a small group of individuals - in a system designed to elect them regardless of the will of the people.

In summary, each and every American needs to abandon this system we've been given, whatever means necessary. It will be a struggle, but the end may justify the means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies