U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM

43,623 posts, read 24,215,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes. And unlike you I don't believe women would go to the trouble of doing that unless they had actually been threatened.
Wow, just show how out of touch you really are with the world...

Woman Admits That She Falsely Accused Convicted High School Student of Rape After He Serves His Time In Jail . . . Woman Keeps $1.5 Million Award As Rape Victim | JONATHAN TURLEY

Another falsely accused man beaten

'Wicked' women jailed for accusing man of rape after he showed police pictures of their consensual threesome | Mail Online
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM

14,370 posts, read 9,305,996 times
Quote:
It's mentioned right in the article! I quoted the NRA.
Again you refuse to see the forrest for the trees... in this case shrubs.

The beauty of having a bill of rights is not to let a majority or minority group take them away. There are 200M guns, and 55-80M gun owners, and you can't arbitrarily confiscate their guns for the illegal actions of a few idiots.

Your use of this as an argument against the NRA is a stretch. The reality is that any action with a gun will rile you up against them. I don't have 20 pages to explain it to you, and I'd be wasting my breath no matter how factual I am.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:31 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,029,810 times
Lies lies lies!!!!

Women can do NO wrong!!!

I bet if Jodi Arias had a restraining order she wouldn't have needed to kill her boyfriend.

Wait...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM

14,370 posts, read 9,305,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Lies lies lies!!!!

Women can do NO wrong!!!

That's what my wife keeps telling me

Old 03-20-2013, 03:46 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,194,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Again you refuse to see the forrest for the trees... in this case shrubs.

The beauty of having a bill of rights is not to let a majority or minority group take them away. There are 200M guns, and 55-80M gun owners, and you can't arbitrarily confiscate their guns for the illegal actions of a few idiots.

Your use of this as an argument against the NRA is a stretch. The reality is that any action with a gun will rile you up against them. I don't have 20 pages to explain it to you, and I'd be wasting my breath no matter how factual I am.
Nobody is asking that the gun rights of all gun owners be compromised. I'm arguing that men who have protective orders filed against them for threatening the lives of their wives or girlfriends, have their guns confiscated.

It's not a stretch. The article (if you read it!) shows many instances of active N.R.A. lobbying to squelch laws that would take guns from men with protective orders against them.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM

"Melissa Batten, a 36-year-old software developer for Xbox, secured a temporary protective order in July 2008, describing a series of episodes in which her estranged husband harassed her and also broke into her workplace in Redmond. She said he also pointed a loaded gun at her in an argument and then put it to his head, threatening to kill himself.

It fell to a mutual friend, however, not the courts or law enforcement, to deal with the gun. He persuaded the husband, Robert Batten, to sell his .22-caliber handgun back to the dealer, according to a police report. But Mr. Batten later bought two more guns, a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver and a 9-millimeter Taurus semiautomatic, according to the police. It is not clear exactly when he bought them, but the police found evidence that he went to a gun show a few days after being served with the protective order. (In some states, the existence of the order would have barred him from buying guns.)

Mr. Batten shot his wife eight times in the parking lot outside her home before shooting himself, killing them both."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...ewanted=5&_r=2

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Nobody is asking that the gun rights of all gun owners be compromised. I'm arguing that men who have protective orders filed against them for threatening the lives of their wives or girlfriends, have their guns confiscated.
You are asking that the Constitution be violated...

If they have done something bad enough for an order the DA should be able to convict.

If they CAN'T convict then the basis for the order is bull****...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM

"The lack of a state surrender law helps explain what happened when Deborah Wigg, a 39-year-old accountant in Virginia Beach, obtained a protective order in April 2011 against her husband, Robert Wigg, whom she was in the process of divorcing. In her petition, she described a violent encounter in which Mr. Wigg grabbed her by her hair, threw her down, ripped out a door and threw it at her. He was arrested and charged with assault. She also made clear in the petition that her husband owned a 9-millimeter semiautomatic handgun.

She eventually won a full protective order, but Mr. Wigg kept his gun, which he used in his business installing and servicing A.T.M.’s.

Ms. Wigg and her co-workers at an accounting firm openly fretted about the weapon. She agreed that every morning she would call Marty Ridout, a partner at the firm, so he could make sure she was safe.

In November 2011, Mr. Wigg went to her home and shot her to death, and then killed himself.

“It astounds me,” Deborah Wigg's father said. “I cannot believe we have a society where a person has physically abused another person and been charged with assaulting her and that they don’t automatically take away his weapon.”"

Well that's thanks to people like all of you. Another victory for gun rights, but not the right of women and children to live!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...ewanted=4&_r=2

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
The lack of a state surrender law helps explain what happened when Deborah Wigg, a 39-year-old accountant in Virginia Beach, obtained a protective order in April 2011 against her husband, Robert Wigg, whom she was in the process of divorcing. In her petition, she described a violent encounter in which Mr. Wigg grabbed her by her hair, threw her down, ripped out a door and threw it at her. He was arrested and charged with assault. She also made clear in the petition that her husband owned a 9-millimeter semiautomatic handgun.

She eventually won a full protective order, but Mr. Wigg kept his gun, which he used in his business installing and servicing A.T.M.’s.

Ms. Wigg and her co-workers at an accounting firm openly fretted about the weapon. She agreed that every morning she would call Marty Ridout, a partner at the firm, so he could make sure she was safe.

In November 2011, Mr. Wigg went to her home and shot her to death, and then killed himself.

“It astounds me,” Deborah Wigg's father said. “I cannot believe we have a society where a person has physically abused another person and been charged with assaulting her and that they don’t automatically take away his weapon.”

Well that's thanks to people like all of you. Another victory for gun rights!
Rights > Your life...

Welcome to America!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Another feel-good gun rights story:

"James Anthony Mills, 17, pleaded guilty last year to second-degree murder for firing two shots that killed Adrian Wilson, 16, at a birthday barbecue in Auburn, Wash. Less than a year before, an ex-girlfriend of Mr. Mills’s had obtained an order for protection against him. She explained in her petition that Mr. Mills had threatened her with a gun during an argument. Nothing was done about the weapon."

Thank God we didn't trample the rights of this young man to keep his gun! Victory!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us...wanted=6&_r=3&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies