Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,629,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
It's odd to make a claim like that about the poor, when, in reality, the ultra-rich are dependent upon slave consumerism from the poor.
If that is what you believe, ok, then don't work for the ultra rich and don't buy anything from the ultra rich companies. Problem solved!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,508,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
It's odd to make a claim like that about the poor, when, in reality, the ultra-rich are dependent upon slave consumerism from the poor.
That doesn't even make sense.

Poor people don't have the money to consume enough to make the wealthy wealthier. If they did, they wouldn't be poor.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,059,822 times
Neither of those posters are Democrats, and they both might take offense to you calling them Democrats.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:55 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What we have here folks is the poor who can't even support their own household but think they know how to run an entire country. They think they know what is best yet the post below is only one example of how dumbed down people are. They don't even realize that inflation hurts poor people.

They don't even understand something so basics. No wonder democrats and liberals and the poor money grabbers can not understand that higher taxes hurt the poor and middle class in the end. These people support the money grab and actually think they will get it.

The politicians have to be laughing their asses off.
There are plenty of rich people who have done horrible things to this country as well. Anyone can be born poor.

But I know where you're coming from. I know how you think. You think in terms of power and control over others. The "let them eat cake" mentality is about control and power over others. I know how you(or people like you) think.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,875,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
That doesn't even make sense.

Poor people don't have the money to consume enough to make the wealthy wealthier. If they did, they wouldn't be poor.
Of course they do. Their spending is funded via welfare and other social assistance, of which, nearly 100% is immediately spend on non-durable goods put right back into the hands of large, multi-national corporations.

It's big business to make sure the ladder of upward mobility is just high enough to where people continue to reach for it, but never quite have the ability to grab hold and climb up.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are plenty of rich people who have done horrible things to this country as well. Anyone can be born poor.

But I know where you're coming from. I know how you think. You think in terms of power and control over others. The "let them eat cake" mentality is about control and power over others. I know how you(or people like you) think.
No, that is how democratic politicians think, keep the poor down so they stay in power. And you hand it right to them. And your right, anyone can be born poor, I was. It is what you do about it that matters.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 PM

20,622 posts, read 19,271,044 times
Quote:
Wow, that is the best defense... straw man and how do I know?

So you all agree and think inflation does not have the most negative effect on the poor?

I would be very curious to see you try to work out the mechanics in an argument to prove your point. Quite honestly, in this case , I believe you are of too modest a means.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times
Quote:
No, that is how democratic politicians think, keep the poor down so they stay in power. And you hand it right to them. And your right, anyone can be born poor, I was. It is what you do about it that matters.
And the Republicans stay in power by complaining about the poor and other "undesirables" just to stay in power. This isn't a partisan issue.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...-policy-center
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...-taxes/250928/

I should have made myself more clear. Usually, whenever I hear of anyone complaining about the poor, it is about power and control. It is not about "what you think" but "how you think".

And consider this. East St. Louis is quite poor, and very polluted. Not much can be done because the chemical plants that pollute the city exist adjacent to the city, but are not technically in the city. They can pollute wholesale and get away with it because money talks. The poor who live in the area don't have the monetary power to do anything about it, and the rich have found loopholes. That is how power works.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I would be very curious to see you try to work out the mechanics in an argument to prove your point. Quite honestly, in this case , I believe you are of too modest a means.
I believe the second poster explained very well and in simple terms. If you don't get that much, your mind isn't even open. And you never did respond to them to dispute it with your mechanics.

So how does inflation "not" hurt the poor?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the Republicans stay in power by complaining about the poor and other "undesirables" just to stay in power. This isn't a partisan issue.

Tax the poor, protect the rich? Really? - Baltimore Sun
The GOP's Weird Obsession With Poor People Not Paying Enough Taxes - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

I should have made myself more clear. Usually, whenever I hear of anyone complaining about the poor, it is about power and control. It is not about "what you think" but "how you think".

And consider this. East St. Louis is quite poor, and very polluted. Not much can be done because the chemical plants that pollute the city exist adjacent to the city, but are not technically in the city. They can pollute wholesale and get away with it because money talks. The poor who live in the area don't have the monetary power to do anything about it, and the rich have found loopholes. That is how power works.
That does not make sense? People paying higher taxes because Democrats keep raising taxes are hard working and obviously they don't have the power to stop it so where is the power you talk about? If you want to claim the big business has power over the workers, then the workers can stop working for them start their own business and take that power away from them.

People complain about the poor because the poor don't work or pay their way. It is not about power but the more you depend on someone else the more power you give up to them. So the democrats in power take from hard working Americans claiming they are looking out for the poor but did you notice that the poor got anything extra. Not much if any, yet the democrats will keep using these words because they know it works. Do you really think the poor will vote for anyone that says "jobs, jobs, jobs"

I do wish the poor would get off their behinds and work though and stop looking at everyone else to pay for their existence. Instead all I hear is a bunch of ballyhooing.

I got 15 kids and someones got to be held accountable. Someones got to pay. (just one example)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies