U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM

19,500 posts, read 20,850,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
OH--it wasn't a rhetorial question? Sorry. Montpelier. I know my capitals without Google
Okay, smarty. Just checking.

How about Burkina Faso?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 13,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
i will share news stories with friends/co-workers about important news events, they dont care. theyd rather know who is in concert this week

examples

the continuing war in Sudan
the continual erosion of our rights How arbitration steals your day in court - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com (http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/10/how-arbitration.html - broken link)
the need for conservation of water
etc...

people dont want to hear anything that would require them to change their lifestyle or feel bad about themselves...
I agree that's very sad.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,034,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Okay, smarty. Just checking.

How about Burkina Faso?
Not a state capital and thus can't pull off the top of my head, sorry. Care to edumacate me?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,337,871 times
It was a trick question. Burkina Faso is the new name. The old name was Upper Volta. Ohhhhh...Ouagadougou! says everyone in unison...

Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 13,718 times
The saddest think is that Americans are ignorant of History. Let's take war, all they know are the dates of the battles not who financed Nazism and Communism.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,415,322 times
i think what annoys me most about my co-worker is she is a taker

she has no probs taking everything from the world, living in her nice house, and doing nothing to contribute back to a planet and people that have given her so much.

she feels like she is entitled to a good life, without ever having to worry about the less fortunate.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:45 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,270,582 times
This might come across as elitist or such...

But most people are ignorant of world events and news because they are ignorant period.

I used to talk to my co-workers about things and soon realised that they had NO idea about what was going on in the world around them and didn't CARE about learning.

You then have those who are basically narcissicists,unless it affects them in some way it has no importance,the universe revolves around the bright shining star that is ME!!!!!!!

I suggest people stop talking to others....

Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM

132 posts, read 227,263 times
Why on earth would any Australian CHOOSE to spend half his life in the USA ...... ?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM

19,556 posts, read 19,270,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
Why on earth would any Australian CHOOSE to spend half his life in the USA ...... ?
Contrary to what people think,this nation has much more freedom than others,including Australia.Although it is always under threat by those who know better...

And it is nice to know someone has actually read my little bio thingy...

Just saw you are in Australia,where do you live?
I was born and raised in.......Banana land

Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 AM

11,127 posts, read 12,660,539 times
Apathy, does not happen over night but it does rise out of a combination of ignorance, complacency, and lack of curiosity. (among a few other things) These things that breed apathy are also the result of it further continuing a cycle of indifference.

Americans for the most part have had it damn good for a long time now and we haven't had to face serious adversity which threatened all of our lives collectively. Most people alive today haven't fought a foreign army in Kansas for our very survival. We have not faced hard economic times to the point where 1/4 of the population was sitting on street corners begging for food. We have not even lived under the rule of a brutal government which slaughters wholesale sectors of people based upon there ethnicity. Life has not been perfect here in the US but it certainly has been pretty good.

When times are good however, people become complacent and the human nature of bigger, better, more becomes the norm of the day. Soon people tire of coddling what they have and begin to pine for what they don't, no matter how good they have it, humans are rarely satisfied with anything. After some time we forget what it was like when we had nothing or little and all we know is the horn of plenty and as long as we can continually get more of it, we will obediently do whatever is needed to maintain this style of living and manner of thinking. Why would anyone want to break from the good times or consider otherwise?

Ask yourself, which is easier to govern or control, a population of educated and motivated peoples or ones that are complacent and apathetic? So now you can see why letting the people continue with a lifestyle of cake and circuses has a benefit to some.

In the end however, apathy will lose out as one can't keep the horn of plenty filled enough to satisfy the thirst of the populace that is never satisfied and as a result, there is a crash of sorts and from this usually rises a population that is far more humble, aware, and conscientious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies