Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times

Advertisements

How will your life change if gas reaches $6 a gallon?

Will you limit your kids' after school activities?

Will you sell your 10 mpg truck or SUV?

Will you move to the inner city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Will employers accommodate more telecommuting?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Will employers accommodate more telecommuting?
Most employers don't even pay a fair share of health care costs anymore.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
Um, I'll be making more City Data posts.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not much because $3.50 gas prices have already cause a substantial reduction in our driving. Our discretionary driving is close to a minimum already and there is not much else to cut. We use our cars to get to the park & ride lot for my work commuting and to local shopping. My bus fare is already increased due to the increase in fuel prices. The increases in gasoline prices have adversely affected our standard of living and have already canceled a long planned summer research trip to look at retirement locations in the Southwest US.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:

Will you limit your kids' after school activities?:
My son isn't in after school activity yet, to young so this hasn't hit us yet.

I have a 1993 Acura Integra that gets 22 mpg in the city. Also plan to buy a motorcycle this summer for commuting to work. With high gas will also come higher food cost so I plan to start taking up urban farming. I am also looking into raising Rabbits for food. Not because I believe the apocalypse is coming, but because I want to be self sufficient and save money. It will be hard getting by when you are paying extreme amounts for food. Cities could fix the problem by promoting farmers start relocating to areas just outside the city limits. The problem with that is I have only seen two cities even mention such a thing (NYC and Chicago) everyone else seems to be oblivious.

This is EXACTLY my plan. If I remain in Florida I will be moving closer to the city center. I also plan to start a green house once I get a home. I have three other cities I am currently applying to jobs in (Chicago, NYC and Nashville). Regardless of where I move, I will settle in a area as close to the city center as possible. I also will not be taking jobs that aren't close to home unless, I absolutly have to OR unless the city has mass transit that covers a LARGE area.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Absolutely not

Quote:
Inasmuch as our SUV's get 25mpg +, no, we will not sell them

Quote:
Absolutely not

Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Will you limit your kids' after school activities? - I don't have kids, so no.

Will you sell your 10 mpg truck or SUV? I haven't owned a car in years

Will you move to the inner city? - I've lived there for most of my adult life

But my life will change, I am already spending more and more on food, grocery delivery has added a fuel surcharge (when I splurge and use it), taxis are sure to raise their fares, the city public transportation system is sure to raise their fares, airlines are sure to raise their fares. So while the actual cost of pumping gas will not affect me at all as I bought exactly one tank of gas in the past year (for a friend as a 'thank you'), the other effects of rising gas prices that are not as tangible to those who only look at through the lens of the gas pump will effect me quite a bit indeed.

I imagine that I will be traveling less and buying more food on sale.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
How will your life change if gas reaches $6 a gallon? I only use one tank of gas a month, so the gas price itself won't impact me nearly as much, as the rising prices of food etc. will. Will have to buy more things that are on sale at the grocery store and use as many local ingredients as possible. I already joined a CSA and am going to get local organic produce for the entire summer and fall

no kids

my car gets around 25 miles per gallon, but as I said, I only use one tank a month. Car is 10 years old now and has less than 40.000 miles on it, most of those from a time when I had to drive further, years ago.

Will you move to the inner city?[/quote]
No, but I live in a town, where i can walk to all the places I need to go, built in exercise!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
This is a great question OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies