U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,222,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
Finally...there are real sexual predators that need to be locked up-not consentual acts between two teenagers. They might as well lock up every kid in Georgia. Makes me wonder about the 3 votes who wanted to keep him in jail. I wonder if they will release an opinion.
I'd be interested to see it (the opinion) if ever released.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
She was drunk and high on drugs. Here's one link:

My Take on Genarlow Wilson | Peach Pundit

Hawkeye, please, that's a blog. Can you get a site with real facts (i.e. police reports; statements)? It was very clear in this case that it was concensual, the girl admitted it - it was in the evidence. I've NEVER seen any facts saying that she didn't know what was going.

More interesting facts to know about this case and GA law. Had Genarlow actually had "sex" with the 15 year old, his maximum sentence would have been 1 year. But because it was "non procreation" sexual intercourse he fell within the "aggravated child molestation statute". The jury had "no idea" that by convicting him of the lesser charge, that he would be sentenced to a mandatory 10 year sentence.

What is more disturbing is during the time of his sentencing there was another case pending in the "same" courts where a married with children 27-year-old high school teacher was sentenced to 90 days in county jail and probation for having sex with a 16 year old student.

Last edited by ayannaaaliyah; 10-26-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 09:11 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
....More interesting facts to know about this case and GA law. Had Genarlow actually had "sex" with the 15 year old, his maximum sentence would have been 1 year. But because it was "non procreation" sexual intercourse he fell within the "aggravated child molestation statute". The jury had "no idea" that by convicting him of the lesser charge, that he would be sentenced to a mandatory 10 year sentence.

What is more disturbing is during the time of his sentencing there was another case pending in the "same" courts where a married with children 27-year-old high school teacher was sentenced to 90 days in county jail and probation for having sex with a 16 year old student.
Let me hazard some guesses here.

1. The 27-year-old teacher was most likely white.

2. The statute that got Genarlow ("non-procreation" sex, aka, sex for the sheer enjoyment of it) sounds like the crap that gets stuck into law at the instigation of outfits like Focus on the Family and a group of lawyers they bankroll called The Alliance Defense Fund (ADF). The stated purpose of the ADF is to insert into our public laws, at all levels, the doctrine of the American Taliban (AT) which is composed of mouth-foaming fundies like Dobson, Robertson, Falwell, et al. Forget the Constitutional separation of church and state, the AT and ADF, with the tacit blessing of Rove and Bush, are busy at work trying to drag us back to the dark ages of Puritanism, a place where ALL sex is disgusting and sinful (all the easier for them to control their quivering fearful followers with shame, guilt and fear - it's been going on like this for millenia).

These are my guesses, but after all I've seen and read over the years, these are darn-well-educated guesses.

s/Mike

Old 10-27-2007, 01:07 PM

51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Quote:
Could you provide a source for this? From everything I've read this isn't even a crime in GA because the age of consent is 16. I'm curious what law was broken in this instance.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:21 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,575,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could you provide a source for this? From everything I've read this isn't even a crime in GA because the age of consent is 16. I'm curious what law was broken in this instance.
It's usually 18 when the older person is in a position of authority, at least that's the case here in Michigan.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'll see if I can find something on the Internet. I remember this time period because I lived in GA when all this was occuring so it was local news. I'll see what I can find though

Mike-I don't know who put that non-procreation sex issue on the books. Either way it's ridiculous that a person receives a harsher sentence for oral sex versus actual intercourse

Old 10-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Here you go, I found an Atlanta Magazine article, I suppose you can google their names and read their entire cases (i.e. details):

1. Alexander High School English teacher and cheering coach Kari McCarley. The 27-year-old was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male student who attended the school where she worked. She was sentenced to three years probation and 90 days in jail.

And for those who think race doesn't sometimes play a role in the charges and/or sentencing, here's a few more GA cases you can Google as well.
In-as-much as we want to think that racism doesn't exists, it does, it's just obscured more now-in-days.

Jack Stewart, a 24-year-old volunteer coach at Heirway Christian Academy in Douglas County, who received 30 days in jail and 10 years probation for fondling the 15-year-old daughter of a couple whose house he was living at temporarily.

In the case of 26-year-old George Tsimpides, First Offender status was extended in a sex crime. Tsimpides received 20 days in jail after he pleaded guilty to luring a 15-year-old girl he’d met on the Internet to Arbor Place Mall with the intention of engaging in sex with her.

Statistics provided by the Campaign for Juvenile Justice, a nonprofit advocacy group based in Atlanta, suggest that Alexander’s assertions may not be far off the mark, particularly when it comes to trying teens as adults. According to the organization’s analysis of Justice Department statistics, African-American and Latino youth are 45 percent of Georgia’s youth population, but comprise 77 percent of the youth arrested under SB 440, a controversial measure that was passed by the Georgia General Assembly in 1994. SB 440 gives superior courts the power to charge children aged 13–17 as adults for committing the so called “seven deadly sins”: murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, and armed robbery if committed with a firearm. Furthermore, the organization also found that 46 percent of criminal cases involving white youth were transferred back to juvenile court versus 25 percent of cases involving African-American youth.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Here you go, I found an Atlanta Magazine article, I suppose you can google their names and read their entire cases (i.e. details): Alexander High School English teacher and cheering coach Kari McCarley. The 27-year-old was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male student who attended the school where she worked. She was sentenced to three years probation and 90 days in jail.....
Yep, just like I suspected, she's white. http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=53181 (broken link)

Black kid = 10 years.
White woman = 90 days.

Oh yeah, that's EQUALITY in America.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM

51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Quote:
Here you go, I found an Atlanta Magazine article, I suppose you can google their names and read their entire cases (i.e. details):

1. Alexander High School English teacher and cheering coach Kari McCarley. The 27-year-old was found guilty of having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old male student who attended the school where she worked. She was sentenced to three years probation and 90 days in jail.

And for those who think race doesn't sometimes play a role in the charges and/or sentencing, here's a few more GA cases you can Google as well.
In-as-much as we want to think that racism doesn't exists, it does, it's just obscured more now-in-days.

Jack Stewart, a 24-year-old volunteer coach at Heirway Christian Academy in Douglas County, who received 30 days in jail and 10 years probation for fondling the 15-year-old daughter of a couple whose house he was living at temporarily.

In the case of 26-year-old George Tsimpides, First Offender status was extended in a sex crime. Tsimpides received 20 days in jail after he pleaded guilty to luring a 15-year-old girl he’d met on the Internet to Arbor Place Mall with the intention of engaging in sex with her.

Statistics provided by the Campaign for Juvenile Justice, a nonprofit advocacy group based in Atlanta, suggest that Alexander’s assertions may not be far off the mark, particularly when it comes to trying teens as adults. According to the organization’s analysis of Justice Department statistics, African-American and Latino youth are 45 percent of Georgia’s youth population, but comprise 77 percent of the youth arrested under SB 440, a controversial measure that was passed by the Georgia General Assembly in 1994. SB 440 gives superior courts the power to charge children aged 13–17 as adults for committing the so called “seven deadly sins”: murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery, and armed robbery if committed with a firearm. Furthermore, the organization also found that 46 percent of criminal cases involving white youth were transferred back to juvenile court versus 25 percent of cases involving African-American youth.
Thanks. I still can't find what the teacher was actually found guilty of...probably some sort of law involving people in authority etc. because he was age of consent.

I'm glad he's out now...I wonder if some of the girls parents were politically connected in the area and were able to nudge the prosecution into a tougher stance too.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 AM
PPG

508 posts, read 1,317,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I used to be a corrections officer. So I've seen a quite a few people in jail for doing this exact sort of thing. For the most part I think this sort of crime is vastly under reported. Although I would agree that there are guys who are wrongfully accused. And keeping in mind, sex even once under the wrong circumstances these days can kill someone.
Judging by your posts (all of them), I think you being a former corrections officer has lead you to believe that all black males are criminals. Because that's all you saw. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies