Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
This is a scam where people apply for and receive the permit to transport their elderly or handicapped parents and use the permit for themselves. They may use it legitimately once or twice a month.
This is why if I take my mom shopping, I drop her off at the door, go park then go in, and pick her up at the door... I'm always afraid using her permit will look funny. Looking at her now, after three back surgeries, a steel rod in her back and a heart condition, you really wouldn't know that she's as bad off as she is. But people look at ME funny if I park in the handicap because I'm the driver...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Fat people should not get handicapped spots. What a self fulfilling prophecy. Make them walk a little bit, it won't kill them.
Amazing! Another psychic doctor, who can make a diagnosis with merely a casual glance in a parking lot!
Actually, DOCTOR, yes, a little more exertion just MIGHT "kill them"!
You have no way of knowing what their limits are.
ALL handicaps are NOT visible!
Yes, some people certainly ARE disgusting!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Amazing! Another psychic doctor, who can make a diagnosis with merely a casual glance in a parking lot!
Walking to the McDonalds parking lot won't kill them faster. What will kill them faster is not walking. Why do you think America became the fattest nation on earth?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Our last trip to Disney World was disgusting.

All those fat people on blubber mobiles.

They get front line access.....they take forever to board the buses.....and they're not "old". They ate themselves into a state of immobility.

Do us all a favor....stay home!
Superficially cruel, but necessary. Oh how quickly appeals for tolerance slips into privilege.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Fat people dont just placrds cuz there fat. In Texas you have to have a prescription from a doctor. There has to be underlying disability. I get angry when I see health looking young men parking in HP spots. I dont see them struggling to walk like us old farts.
Yep, had to get a script from the doctor for my mom. Then I had to go stand in line for an hour to get the placard for her, she couldn't stand up for that long.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've never seen a fat person use a handicap parking space.
LOL come down to Texas sometime.

As long as someone has the placard/plate, I don't say anything. I might think things, but I don't say them.

Now when people without a placard or plate park in handicapped parking....that's when I say stuff. Not nice stuff.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
I used to think stores increased the number of handicap spaces due to people living longer and remaining more independent.
Its easy to see that's not the case.
Huge increase in fat drivers, and possibly lax standards in issuing permits.
What's the deal here?
Having had both of my parents in wheelchairs at various times, I have no tolerance for people taking the reserved spots qwho don't need them. Back when i chewed tobacco, I would watch for offenders and cover their cars with juice when they jumped out in thioer tennis outfits and ran into WalMart.

Screw the incondierate bastards. They are no better than body lice.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I know someone who is overweight. Not morbidly obese, just overweight. They are also in their late 70's, have had hip surgery & also have COPD & no, it's not from smoking. They have a handicapped sticker, rightfully so. Perhaps some of those "fat" people you see have other medical issues going on that require a handicapped sticker. I see people here at work park in handicapped spots w/their handicapped sticker all the time & they have no obvious physical disabilities. The news actually ran a story about it once years ago. Too bad it didn't change things.
Sometimes you can't see the handicap and others times you can see that it isn't their permit they are using. I saw a guy about 60 park in one. When I was coming out of the store so was he and he jumped in the convertible without opening the door. I am not handicap and I wouldn't be able to do that.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Our last trip to Disney World was disgusting.

All those fat people on blubber mobiles.

They get front line access.....they take forever to board the buses.....and they're not "old". They ate themselves into a state of immobility.

Do us all a favor....stay home!
They don't get front line access any more. That stopped years ago.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I know someone who is overweight. Not morbidly obese, just overweight. They are also in their late 70's, have had hip surgery & also have COPD & no, it's not from smoking. They have a handicapped sticker, rightfully so. Perhaps some of those "fat" people you see have other medical issues going on that require a handicapped sticker. I see people here at work park in handicapped spots w/their handicapped sticker all the time & they have no obvious physical disabilities. The news actually ran a story about it once years ago. Too bad it didn't change things.

This ^^ is exactly what I was thinking.

Some disabilities are not so easy to see, and as far as I know, people aren't issued handicapped stickers for being "fat."

And NOBODY should park in a handicapped spot unless they have a sticker.

Yesterday, when I was in town, I went to Goodwill and I thought it was my lucky day when I saw a spot right up by the store open up.

I pulled into it, opened my door, looked down and saw the handicap symbol on the pavement; it was really faded and I hadn't seen it before pulling in.

So, I pulled out and went and parked a little farther from the store; while I was doing that, a young woman zipped into the spot I had just vacated. She had no handicap sticker hanging in her car and she looked perfectly healthy.

I guess it's possible that she didn't see the symbol on the pavement either - even when she got out of her car - and I almost said something but decided not to because it may have been an honest mistake.

But, again, just because you don't see a disability doesn't mean there isn't one. Fat OR skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies