Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times

Advertisements

This is what I hate about scientists. Many have such an ego that they can't tell the truth and just say, "It MIGHT be 80 million years older" instead of it "IS". They do this all the time. Plus 80 million is a blink of an eye in universe years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Being within 80 million out of a 15 billion is pretty damn close the first time.
It wasn't the first time. This isn't the first time the age of the universe has changed in scientific terms.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nature isn't looking for your approval.
Nor does it listen to scientific equations.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nor does it listen to scientific equations.
...but, as a matter of fact, science does listen to nature. How do you think it draws its conclusions and arrives at the equations?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This is what I hate about scientists. Many have such an ego that they can't tell the truth and just say, "It MIGHT be 80 million years older" instead of it "IS". They do this all the time. Plus 80 million is a blink of an eye in universe years.
Unlike those who "know" from the bible that the earth is 6,000 years old. Or 10,000, depending upon your source!

Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I would love to see your list of the major scientific theories that have been proven wrong over the past 50 years, along with an explanation of exactly what "proven wrong" actually means in each case.
Does one have to show every single one in the last 50 years to prove their point? If they miss one would that mean they have no point?

Why can't one or two be pointed out to show that just because a scientists says something is true, doesn't necessarily mean it's true?

C3: Antarctica: IPCC Proven Conclusively Wrong By Newest Research - South Pole Cooling

Climate Change - How the IPCC got it wrong

‘Hockey stick’ graph was exaggerated – McIntyre gets props | Watts Up With That?

Back in the 70's should we have simply agreed with the scientists that said that the world was cooling and headed into a new ice age?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...but, as a matter of fact, science does listen to nature. How do you think it draws its conclusions and arrives at the equations?
That isn't what I said so I really have no reason to address it. I said that nature doesn't listen to scientists.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That isn't what I said so I really have no reason to address it. I said that nature doesn't listen to scientists.
In your attempt to invalidate scientific findings, you clearly made a point that nature does not conform to the scientific findings. I clearly stated that it is the other way around when it concerns conclusions based on scientific research and findings.

Fields of science are commonly classified along two major lines: - Natural sciences, the study of the natural world and - Social sciences.

Nature...Natural World...see the connecton now?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
In your attempt to invalidate scientific findings, you clearly made a point that nature does not conform to the scientific findings. I clearly stated that it is the other way around when it concerns conclusions based on scientific research and findings.

Fields of science are commonly classified along two major lines: - Natural sciences, the study of the natural world and - Social sciences.

Nature...Natural World...see the connecton now?
Double speak. Simple ramblings. You didn't address my point.

For quite a few years recently (I will find the links if you insist) scientists predicted we would see some of the biggest storm seasons on records. We saw nothing of the sort. Nature didn't bother listening to the scientists.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The law of Gravity is proven.

What "Law" explains how the earth was created, there are some theories out there, that cannot be proven into a Law(hence why they are still theories)

I just love how modern people can feel that we are smart enough to always have the answers through science, while we prove science wrong all the time and have throughout history. This news report is just another example of it.
So which is it, ''neither can be proven as a Law'', or are you changing your tune now to "some theories"?!

"Hedging your bets" won't hide the reality of being a 'closet Fundie'. Which is fine, except too bad you can't be more honest about it (considering the 9th Commandment, among others)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies