Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was educated in the good old USA. According to the spouse, who practices a totally different kind of law, the professor broke FAU's own anti-discrimination policy, therefore if he can sue them based on breach of contract, if nothing else.
Possibly for breach of contract. But certainly not for freedom of religion as you previously suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,000,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What's the difference between refusing to do an assignment such as this, and stating objections to that assignment then respectfully requesting not to do an assignment? I don't see a difference, other than the teacher potentially desiring to watch the student dance.
There is no difference. In both cases, the student refused to the an assignment. He should have been graded accordingly. Possibly an F in class participation. Suspending the student is overboard.

It's possible that we don't know the entire story. Maybe the student did behave in a manner that calls for suspension. But as it's written, I think it's out of line.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 AM

20,101 posts, read 16,030,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Possibly for breach of contract. But certainly not for freedom of religion as you previously suggested.
It's discrimination against his religion, so it is about freedom of religion. The problem isn't the assignment itself. Had the professor done the assignment correctly none of us would know a thing about it. The problem is 1) the assignment, as written in the text, says to discuss their hesitation, nothing is mentioned about actually forcing students to do it and 2) suspending him for not stomping on the paper, especially after the student expressed he felt the assignment violated his religious principals. I assume there was discussion involved during class about why he was not doing it, which is what the text required for participation. The professor is in the wrong here, no two ways about it. The real shame here is that this is a cultural diversity class and obviously the professor himself does not practice it and doesn't appear to even understand the meaning of it.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,327,419 times
Quote:
There is no difference. In both cases, the student refused to the an assignment. He should have been graded accordingly. Possibly an F in class participation. Suspending the student is overboard.

It's possible that we don't know the entire story. Maybe the student did behave in a manner that calls for suspension. But as it's written, I think it's out of line.
If a student cannot respectfully decline an assignment that might offend them to this degree...that's blackmailing, tyrannical behavior by the professor.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:

An F would be out of line too.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,083,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
More evidence that liberalism is a mental disease.
That is quite a generalization. I am a liberal and I wouldn't stomp on the name of my beloved Savior if they held a gun to my head. This so called teacher should be fired...period.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,441,241 times
Quote:

Some common sense is in order here. It wasn't a legitimate assignment to begin with. Not only is the suspension out of line, but the professor is out of line for even conducting the assignment in the first place.

The FAU mission statement includes "Fostering a campus community that values and promotes caring and cooperation, responsible and ethical behavior, the open and free exchange of ideas, and respect for and inclusion of all people"

Stomping on someone's God is not responsible or ethical behavior, does not promote an open and free exchange of ideas, and does not respect or include all people.

The assignment goes against the University's own mission statement. There's more to it than just "he refused an assignment, end of story." The assignment has to be a legitimate assignment in the first place.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 AM

137 posts, read 135,662 times
Quote:
It's discrimination against his religion, so it is about freedom of religion. The problem isn't the assignment itself. Had the professor done the assignment correctly none of us would know a thing about it. The problem is 1) the assignment, as written in the text, says to discuss their hesitation, nothing is mentioned about actually forcing students to do it and 2) suspending him for not stomping on the paper, especially after the student expressed he felt the assignment violated his religious principals. I assume there was discussion involved during class about why he was not doing it, which is what the text required for participation. The professor is in the wrong here, no two ways about it. The real shame here is that this is a cultural diversity class and obviously the professor himself does not practice it and doesn't appear to even understand the meaning of it.
I have practiced both sides of constitutional law and have taught it as well so I'll chime in here.

Freedom of Religion is a constitutional right. It protects you from the government and the government only. It provides no protection from a private person or entity. There are laws of discrimination that apply to certain entities, employers, places open to the general public and a few other classifications. Discrimination against religion is not in any way the same as freedom of religion.

Disclaimer: By making this post I am in no way giving advice or soliciting.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenured View Post
I have practiced both sides of constitutional law and have taught it as well so I'll chime in here.

Freedom of Religion is a constitutional right. It protects you from the government and the government only. It provides no protection from a private person or entity. There are laws of discrimination that apply to certain entities, employers, places open to the general public and a few other classifications. Discrimination against religion is not in any way the same as freedom of religion.

Disclaimer: By making this post I am in no way giving advice or soliciting.
Fine, take the freedom of religion out of it if you want. The kid can still sue them and win. They violated their own policies.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 AM

11,146 posts, read 10,913,865 times
Quote:
The real shame here is that this is a cultural diversity class and obviously the professor himself does not practice it and doesn't appear to even understand the meaning of it.
In a later post, the OP posted this "professors" bio. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see his way of thinking. In the same respect, this does not give the professor a right to penalize this young student for finding this assignment to be insulting and objectionable. Any reasonable person can see this is manipulative in every sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If a student cannot respectfully decline an assignment that might offend them to this degree...that's blackmailing, tyrannical behavior by the professor.
It is a disgrace upon this "university". How beyond pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies