Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Why don't you ask your welfare abusing relatives you mentioned up thread? You are in a unique position in that you actually know and are related to people who are gaming the system. I suggest you inquire directly with them to answer your question.
I already know the answer as to why she does it. B/c she thinks she's entitled to it. She's been on welfare for half her life, basically since she started having kids (the oldest is 21 and she just turned 40). She thinks it's somehow her right to get benefits b/c of her "family situation." The "situation" is that she has four kids, nothing more, nothing less. The oldest is now gone from the house, the second oldest just turned 18 and will be out of high school next year, the third is 16 and doesn't even want to be there, and the last one is almost 10 and she likes to baby him. She doesn't realize that she's only supporting 3 kids now instead of 4, and the middle two aren't even at home very much, but she still thinks she should get all her benefits and not have to work if it means they will be cut. It's laziness, and a major sense of entitlement. Thank God the kids see her for what she is so the cycle will hopefully not repeat itself.

Btw I don't think it's a "unique position" to know someone who does this. I'd bet almost everybody knows someone who does this, whether the person openly does it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Or report them to the State.
That would be the action that shows integrity.
If you know someone committing a crime and do nothing about it, you're condoning their actions. Heck, they're participating in the fraud.
Always cracks me up about those who try to claim the "moral high ground" in some areas while behaving criminally in others.
What am I supposed to report exactly? That she's purposely cutting her hours at work to get her bennies? What she is doing is legal, just completely unethical. In fact, the main issue in this thread is not people doing things illegally, but getting welfare benefits unethically. The fact that you all fail to see that is quite sad.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Welfare is only okay if it's to the super rich, oh wait no I mean the job creators!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Actually, if you never paid in, you should receive no benefit. Have a cousin that's a junkie.....never lifted a finger to help his kids financially. When he wound up in rehab, his kids were receiving $300 each monthly rom SSI.

There's one example of millions of similar stories.
Exactly. Regular Social Security for retirees is one thing. SSI for when you're poor and supposedly disabled is another. SSDI can also be a scam depending on if you're truly disabled.

Another anecdote: A friend of ours has a son who is disabled (but he goes to regular school and is basically fine) and they get SSI for him. Our friend will cut his hours at work whenever they try to adjust down the SSI benefit total due to his wife getting a raise at her job. It's really sickening the type of things that go on.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Easy. I served four years in the military and now I'm being paid monthly to attend college.

Later this year I will graduate and enter my chosen field of work.

What's your excuse?
Served in the military. I in no way consider that welfare. You should be paid and helped to get a good education. In fact if I think we get people who are soaking welfare when they are perfectly capable of working off the system, free up that money and help people like you and people injured in battle even more.

In my opinion and I am sure many others opinions, people who served should not consider yourself on the dole.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Welfare is only okay if it's to the super rich, oh wait no I mean the job creators!

belmont, Obama is going after the middle class and upper income middle class not the super rich. Under Obama, the rich are getting richer get over it and make, stop whining and do what it takes to make yourself rich. They will get richer regardless because they know how to make money. If you wish you were rich why not learn what they know, no one is going to hand it to you.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
belmont, Obama is going after the middle class and upper income middle class not the super rich. Stop whining about the super rich, Obama is helping them.
I never said I was an Obama fan. I'm not.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Nobody is advocating that, if you would read the thread. However, at least the people getting corporate welfare are contributing to society in some way other than sitting on the couch with their Obama phones.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The OP probably believes people receiving SS benefits are healthy and able to work, like the elderly 62+ years of age who have paid Social Security taxes all of their lives.
jiveman desperately trying to defend welfare? Stop hiding behind the elderly. The OP did not make any such statement.

Wow, the desperation to defend getting welfare is ... well... desparate

Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Default Quite nicely, thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm serious.

How do you justify your existence if you only survive from waiting for a check from taxpayers?
At this stage of my life, after serving my country for 26+years, and having paid into the Social Security system for over 50 years, I don't feel the NEED to "justify my existence". I will happily collect those checks for the rest of my life, with no guilt feelings whatsoever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies