Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some people are diabetic and can happily chomp down meat and cheese but not sugar. So if they took the Big Macs off the buns, that would make sense.

Some people also prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke.
Believe it or not, research is showing that diet sodas can make you fat too. They trigger a center in the brain that makes you crave sugar, but drinking the diet soda doesn't satisfy it, and may actually inhibit the brain cells that make you feel full. That, and they're full of nasty chemicals that do heaven knows what else to your body. I just drink unsweetened ice tea instead.

New study is wake-up call for diet soda drinkers - HealthPop - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some people are diabetic and can happily chomp down meat and cheese but not sugar.
Unless, of course, someone is putting frosted flakes in the hamburger.

Taco Bell meat shocker: 'Ground beef' is only 35 percent meat

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The other day I was on a bus and a fat guy got on...when I say "fat" I mean "HEY HEY HEEEEYYY!" This man needed three mirrors to see if his shoes weren't tied. Anyway he got on the bus and moved to the front seats, all of which were full. He motioned to a young man, listening to his music. The young man took out his headphones and asked him what he needed. The fat man said "can I sit here?" The young man said "why?" The fat man pointed to his massive gut and said "because I'm disabled."

The young man looked at him like he was crazy and said, and I quote, "man you ain't disabled, you fat!"

Many people on the bus, myself included, laughed but tried to muffle the laughter. Someone else got up and let the fat man sit down so he could have two seats behind the front seats to himself. As he left someone said something to the young man and he said "man, if it was a old dude with a cane I'd have gotten up or a pregnant lady or somethin, but not him."

You know what? I AGREE 100%

Being a chunky monkey is NOT a disability. It can be DISABLING, but it is not in and of itself a DISABILITY. Being drunk is also disabling...should drunk people get special seats?

And the worst part is, these heffers get disability checks, handicap parking, government services and all kinds of things for something that IS THEIR OWN DOING. I have yet to meet a wheel chair bound person who just couldn't say "no" to screwing up their spinal cord the way round people couldn't say "no" to bon bons. I have yet to meet a blind person who lost their vision thanks to being lazy. You make your bed, you lay in it (if we can find a bed big enough for you...)

And spare me, SPARE ME the old "maybe it's their genes" argument. The only thing their weight has to do with their jeans is that they can barely fit in them. Want proof? Millions of emaciated, starving people in third world counties. Have you ever seen ONE random fat one who had those same "get fat no matter what" genes?

And yes, I have seen some disabled people who become overweight as a result of their disability, and that's different. If someone who ran every day is in a car accident and is wheelchair bound and moving less all of a sudden, I could see them putting on weight. But there is a difference between a disability CAUSING weight gain and trying to say weight gain IS A DISABILITY.

I knew a kid in school who was blind in one eye (birth defect) and had trouble as a result. All the dieting on Earth would not give him that eye back. All the push ups and jogging he could do would not give him 20/20 vision. In short, anything that can be changed simply by not stepping foot in a McDonald's and steaming some vegis instead is NOT a disability.

And the worst part is, I am a little round and the doctor says it would be good for me to lose ten pounds or so. I am not so big the back of my neck looks like a pack of hotdogs, but I am getting there. And you know who I blame? MYSELF. But no issue. I'll get that "Insanity" work out and cook from now on and lose it. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

We as a society should cut off these chunky monkeys and instead worry about people with real disabilities. No more enabling the lady with more "Chins" than the Hong Kong census to blame the world for not liking her. Not more free rides for the guy whose girth is so wide he uses laptop for a smart phone.

Can't find a seat on the bus that will fit? WALK! The exercise will do you some good anyway.
I have not taken time to read all the responses to your statement but let me tell you, number 1: that young man was raised with no manners; he should be ashamed of himself and number 2-you have no idea what the heck you are talking about..do you have any idea how many people who are grossly overweight are that way because of abnormalities. Even if his weight is due to nothing more than over eating and under exercising, it is still a disability. He is disabled due to his weight. There is a difference between being a little overweight due to sitting on our butts and eating or drinking too much (I certainly am guilty of this) and having something that causes us to be 100 or more lbs overweight.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It's all how you use your body, IMO. What I eat would shock most people. For breakfast I ate 2 burgers and 5 doughnuts. For lunch, I will probably make pasta with ground beef. For dinner I will probably end up at a greasy Mexican joint eating a burrito and some number of tacos. But I make my body work. Your body adapts to her role. If her role is sitting, that is what she adapts to.
That diet will catch up to you later.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Believe it or not, research is showing that diet sodas can make you fat too. They trigger a center in the brain that makes you crave sugar, but drinking the diet soda doesn't satisfy it, and may actually inhibit the brain cells that make you feel full. That, and they're full of nasty chemicals that do heaven knows what else to your body. I just drink unsweetened ice tea instead.

New study is wake-up call for diet soda drinkers - HealthPop - CBS News
I've heard about studies like that for years.

I'm just saying that some people, like diabetics and Atkins diet followers, drink diet soda specifically because it doesn't contain sugar and won't raise their blood sugar levels.

I'm not saying it's good for you.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
That diet will catch up to you later.
I'm 39, if it starts catching up with me I will make adjustments, but my body craves all that food because I spend it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
The intolerance is mind boggling!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I'm 39, if it starts catching up with me I will make adjustments, but my body craves all that food because I spend it.
I did that for years as well.I figured working 6-70 hours a week would keep it off and it did for many years. To me many years ago a balanced diet was something in both hands. When you hit 60(if you make it) you then spend the next 20-30 years trying to undo what you did to your body over the last 40 years.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Incidentally, I am a doctor (and a scientist!).

Alas, I know my neighbor quite well. This is his self-report and not my assessment...
Quite a doctor. Taking guesses. And you have examined him, eh? Long distance examinations? And are you even aware of the genetic component involved in obesity, or am I the first one to point you in the direction of these scientific discoveries?

Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I don't think the point is missed: Many disabilities are the direct result of a person's actions.

That said, people generally have no control over their disabilities. If you're missing your left foot, you can't grow a new one... If your joints give out, there's not much you can do.

Most people do, however, have control over what (and how much) they eat. Thus, if the only disability you have is being obese, then you have direct control over your disability.

Ever watch The Biggest Loser? Many of the contestant start out being so mortally obese that it impairs their daily lives. Guess what? Many of them are able to overcome their "disability." Meanwhile, I am still waiting for the guy with the missing foot to re-grow one.

See the difference?
Obviously, they don't. It's the same with any addiction, if you had control over it, you wouldn't be addicted.

As to The Biggest Loser, they can only overcome their addiction once placed in a residential setting for a long amount of time with people who control what they eat and how much they exercise on a daily basis.

Kinda like inpatient rehab. See the similarity? You have to spend months changing your brain chemistry back to normal, months and resources that your average very obese person doesn't have.

People in the past were not bombarded with the constant food overstimulation we have now. Everywhere you go there are images of fast food and poor food choices, exactly the kind of food that gets people's brain effed up in the beginning and is like waving crack in front of a cocaine addict's nose on a daily (hourly) basis.

Yes you can overcome it but it takes a lot more that just saying no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies