Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times

Advertisements

The other day I was on a bus and a fat guy got on...when I say "fat" I mean "HEY HEY HEEEEYYY!" This man needed three mirrors to see if his shoes weren't tied. Anyway he got on the bus and moved to the front seats, all of which were full. He motioned to a young man, listening to his music. The young man took out his headphones and asked him what he needed. The fat man said "can I sit here?" The young man said "why?" The fat man pointed to his massive gut and said "because I'm disabled."

The young man looked at him like he was crazy and said, and I quote, "man you ain't disabled, you fat!"

Many people on the bus, myself included, laughed but tried to muffle the laughter. Someone else got up and let the fat man sit down so he could have two seats behind the front seats to himself. As he left someone said something to the young man and he said "man, if it was a old dude with a cane I'd have gotten up or a pregnant lady or somethin, but not him."

You know what? I AGREE 100%

Being a chunky monkey is NOT a disability. It can be DISABLING, but it is not in and of itself a DISABILITY. Being drunk is also disabling...should drunk people get special seats?

And the worst part is, these heffers get disability checks, handicap parking, government services and all kinds of things for something that IS THEIR OWN DOING. I have yet to meet a wheel chair bound person who just couldn't say "no" to screwing up their spinal cord the way round people couldn't say "no" to bon bons. I have yet to meet a blind person who lost their vision thanks to being lazy. You make your bed, you lay in it (if we can find a bed big enough for you...)

And spare me, SPARE ME the old "maybe it's their genes" argument. The only thing their weight has to do with their jeans is that they can barely fit in them. Want proof? Millions of emaciated, starving people in third world counties. Have you ever seen ONE random fat one who had those same "get fat no matter what" genes?

And yes, I have seen some disabled people who become overweight as a result of their disability, and that's different. If someone who ran every day is in a car accident and is wheelchair bound and moving less all of a sudden, I could see them putting on weight. But there is a difference between a disability CAUSING weight gain and trying to say weight gain IS A DISABILITY.

I knew a kid in school who was blind in one eye (birth defect) and had trouble as a result. All the dieting on Earth would not give him that eye back. All the push ups and jogging he could do would not give him 20/20 vision. In short, anything that can be changed simply by not stepping foot in a McDonald's and steaming some vegis instead is NOT a disability.

And the worst part is, I am a little round and the doctor says it would be good for me to lose ten pounds or so. I am not so big the back of my neck looks like a pack of hotdogs, but I am getting there. And you know who I blame? MYSELF. But no issue. I'll get that "Insanity" work out and cook from now on and lose it. It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

We as a society should cut off these chunky monkeys and instead worry about people with real disabilities. No more enabling the lady with more "Chins" than the Hong Kong census to blame the world for not liking her. Not more free rides for the guy whose girth is so wide he uses laptop for a smart phone.

Can't find a seat on the bus that will fit? WALK! The exercise will do you some good anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
Obesity is a treatable disability for the most part.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Obesity is a treatable disability for the most part.
Have you ever gone through food withdrawal?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Have you ever gone through food withdrawal?
...Well there was a time in my life where I wasn't able to get much to eat for a month. I was HUNGRY.

...I was chubby before that, but ended up seeing my abs for the first time.

...Meh, it's doable, but not pleasant.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Fat is not a disability.

I have little use for fat people. It shows they have no control over their lives nor have they any self-respect.

America has become a nation of zero responsibility slugs.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Fat is not a disability.

I have little use for fat people. It shows they have no control over their lives nor have they any self-respect.

America has become a nation of zero responsibility slugs.
Fat can make life unpleasant. Fat can disable you.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,190 times
Fat people are the last bastion of verbal cruelty for the hate somebody for something crowd.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,019,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Dale, I like most of your posts. I've repped you many times over the last year. This post is harsh, though.

Many people struggle with weight issues, myself included. Many obese people are lazy. Many are not. Not all of us were born with the metabolism of a race horse. Nobody wants to be overweight. There is a significant problem in this country, and much of it has to do with how our food is produced.

Many of the jobs today are very sedentary. Heck, between my desk job and Master's program, I struggle to find time for working out. I know what you envision though. Some fat, stupid, unemployed slob sitting on a couch stuffing potato chips down their throat with their belly hanging out while watching Jerry Springer or playing video games all day.

I have a good friend that is likely similar to you. He's in his 40's, doesn't work out, drinks like a fish, is on no particular diet plan, and adds salt to soup. He's thin as a rail, and can't understand why fat people or high blood pressure exist. In fact, he thinks they are a waste of oxygen.

As far as this guy on the bus goes, he likely is a waste of oxygen. But don't demonize every person that struggles with a weight problem. It makes you look very shallow.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Dale, I like most of your posts. I've repped you many times over the last year. This post is harsh, though.

Many people struggle with weight issues, myself included. Many obese people are lazy. Many are not. Not all of us were born with the metabolism of a race horse. Nobody wants to be overweight. There is a significant problem in this country, and much of it has to do with how our food is produced.
...hmmmmmmm...

...Not an excuse. I eat food found in an American grocery store. I stay active. I am in great shape.

...If people learned to cook properly and eat the right way, they would have no weight problems.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I work in a Long-Term Care Facility, and they come in all the time, all requiring an extra large bed, which makes the room very cramped! But obesity is now classified as a disease and they're eligible for Medicaid!
Yup! Tired of the rat race, eat a hundred pounds of Hostess Twinkies, and you'll never have to chase around looking for a job again, burn the resumes!

There was a 22YO that came in 6 months ago, so fat she could only sit up, couldn't even lay down! Her mother was taking care of her, previously, (she was only there temporarily), collecting the Medicaid payments. And she'd visit and bring all kinds of sweets to her loving daughter! Perhaps she has become an income source for her, keep her fat, keep her on Medicaid!

And if you have a half dozen kids, deliberately get them fat, and there's a few more Medicaid checks coming in every month!

I, agree, in some cases it is a disability. There are those who only have to look at a piece of cake and gain 5 pounds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies