Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
if you do not belong to a gang, and you are not a church boy, the chances of you being raped are excellent.
stephen s
san diego ca
As someone brought up earlier..why is prison rape allowed to go on? Here's the way I would deal with it. Obviously rapists have power motives, they want to express their dominance. That's why I would like to see the prison rapists get put in their place. A fair punishment would be castration..

I believe that castration would drastically cut down on prison rape. Some inmates would be too afraid of the consequences. Others, the ones who were castrated, would have drastically lower tesesterone levels and would probably lose their drive to rape.

Last edited by Jay F; 10-27-2007 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:58 AM

58 posts, read 47,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
What's scary is that the average looking young men I see on the street today look more tough and threatning than the 1969 prisoners! It wouldn't surprise me if many of them have been released early from the prison system.
What's truly scary is the fear that you may not be receiving some much-needed psychiatric counseling for your fears.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
A lot of prisons are badly understaffed. Not to mention that guard corruption has been a major problem in some facilities. How do you think drugs get into prisons so easily? Sure, part of it is stuff smuggled in from the outside by visitors, but the majority comes from corrupt guards. Would you really want to give corrupt guards the ability to 'torture' inmates at a whim?
I thought long and hard about your question. Yes, I do want to give guards the ability to torture prisoners if they get out of line, but not on a whim. Let's not forget, these convicts aren't angels. They have harmed and violated others and in many cases killed innocent people. I can not feel sorry if they get a small piece of their medicine coming back to them.

That being said, I would only want the trouble making prisoners to get punished/tortured. For example, the inmates who stab, beat, or rape their cellmates. I would also like to see the state crack down on corruption and weed out the bad guards. Although you have to respect any guard who is willing to take such a thankless, dangerous, and relatively low paying job like that.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:10 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I thought long and hard about your question. Yes, I do want to give guards the ability to torture prisoners if they get out of line, but not on a whim. Let's not forget, these convicts aren't angels. They have harmed and violated others and in many cases killed innocent people. I can not feel sorry if they get a small piece of their medicine coming back to them.

That being said, I would only want the trouble making prisoners to get punished/tortured. For example, the inmates who stab, beat, or rape their cellmates. I would also like to see the state crack down on corruption and weed out the bad guards. Although you have to respect any guard who is willing to take such a thankless, dangerous, and relatively low paying job like that.
You should take this info over to prisontalk.com, they will love you over there.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:19 AM

58 posts, read 47,175 times
"The United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world. More people are behind bars in the United States than any other country. As of 2006, a record 7 million people were behind bars, on probation or on parole"

"Some have criticized the United States for having a high amount of non-violent and victimless offenders incarcerated;[13][14] half of all persons incarcerated under state jurisdiction are for non-violent offences, and 20% are incarcerated for drug offences.[15][16] "Human Rights Watch believes the extraordinary rate of incarceration in the United States wreaks havoc on individuals, families and communities, and saps the strength of the nation as a whole."[13]"

Prisons in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So to answer your question: Prison gangs are allowed because we live in a repressive police state.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post
What's truly scary is the fear that you may not be receiving some much-needed psychiatric counseling for your fears.
I stand by my statement. The 1969 prisoners looked less tough than the average young men I see on the street today. The guys I see today look tough as nails. Part of this could be because I live in a rather high crime area of a city with a high crime rate. There is much police activity around here and I can assure you it is NOT paranoia on my part to believe that many of these guys have been involved with the criminal justice system. I am not an especially fearful person.. I shop and do other errands late at night which is when most crime occurs.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:51 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Actually, on another prison show I recently watched, there is a warden (I'm pretty sure it was San Quentin but not positive) who is going to mix all of the inmates together. Currently, what you'll find is that black inmates are housed with black inmates, whites with whites, latinos with latinos, etc... etc...

The warden has realized that this is a failure within the prison system. By not allowing these prisoners to see the difference between black/white/mexican etc... they (the prison) has effectively set up a barrier between all the races. The warden is attempting to break those barriers down. I think it's a fantastic idea. Ignorance breeds hatred, and I think that a lot of prisoners actually hate other groups or "gangs" of people because they have no social identity with them. It kind of reminds me a lot of the movie "American History X".

Anyway, as far as the prisoners in 1969 vs. the prisoners today, I have one comment. I really would like to see a statistic on the number of prisoners who came from two-parent households in 1969 as opposed to those that come from single parent households in today's society. I'd be willing to bet on it that the numbers are vastly different.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Don't let the meek looking inmates from the Johnny Cash performances lull you into thinking prison gangs are new. I am sure the warden at the time hand picked who would be able to attend. Within 5 years of that taping, San Quentin was experiencing some of their bloodiest years. The 1970s were some of the roughest years in SQ history. Not only were inmates being killed, many Corrections Officers were also killed. The rise of prison gangs in Calif had started in the early 70s and continue to evolve today. Gangs were around before the 70s, but they weren't as violent or organized as they are now.

The ACLU does play a big role in what happens inside. The number of frivolous lawsuits is staggering. Some lawsuits have merit, but the majority are just a waste of time and money.
Thanks for that info! I didn't know they had prison gangs back then. I was a young boy in the early 70s and it seemed like an innocent Brady Bunch kind of a world. I guess I was too young to know any better.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:02 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Brutality doesn't necessarily make prisoners more compliant. Look at Brazil. They actually sent in militarized police at one point to put down a riot in a prison. The police went through the prison systematically and executed about 100 inmates, and shot a couple hundred more for good measure. It didn't quell the violence. All that happened is that prisoners smartened up, and started aligning their various factions with particular groups of guards.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Side note here:

I read a theory that a big part of why so many people wound up in prison was due to their impulsive behavior----which was triggered by lead poisoning in the air.

What would be interesting would be graph depicting the popularity of leaded gasoline superimposed over the birthdates of prison inmates.

The gangsters in the 'can' back in 1969 were born/raised in the 1940's and prior for the most part when leaded gas was very unusual to say the least.

Fast forward to the 2000's and the crime rate seems to be dropping-------fast.

Lead in motor fuel was banned in this country about 15 years ago hence a new generation of kids was never really exposed to the poisoning.

Look at the effects of DDT poisoning.

Lead poisoning as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies