Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
On June 15, 2005 two PETA employees were arrested and charged with 31 counts of felony animal cruelty. The two (Adria J. Hinkle, 27 and Andrew B. Cook, 24 both of Norfolk, Va.) were alleged to have killed scores of dogs and cats, depositing their bodies into an Ahoskie, N.C. dumpster
Lol! I guess by this reasoning, I could judge all priests by the behaviour of a few Catholic paedophiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Show me one quote from a PETA site that states they are against people having pet cats or dogs.
We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed.

Animal Rights Uncompromised: 'Pets' | PETA.org

They do wish people never made pets of cats and dogs, yes.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Save a pet, shoot a PITA member!
A Pain In The Ass member? Of city-data? Send me a list, and I'll get right on it.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

Lol! I guess by this reasoning, I could judge all priests by the behaviour of a few Catholic paedophiles.
You are welcomed to do so if you choose.

If PETA thought destroying 90% of the animals they take in was a bad thing, they would end it, but they don't. At least the church is admitting child abuse is a sin.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Show me one quote from a PETA site that states they are against people having pet cats or dogs.
Okay I guess I'll have to admit to being wrong on this one.

But I still find their self-righteousness to be a turn-off even though I agree that we should treat animals more humanely.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Every couple a months somebody starts a thread on this topic, how bout we merge them - or next time, do a search. I"m tired of answering the same questions over and over again.
Suffice it to say, PETA does not have shelter, they don't even have foster homes, they don't believe in animal ownership, period.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed.

They do wish people never made pets of cats and dogs, yes.
In part, yes. They conclude by stating:

"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or animal shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world
."

Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are welcomed to do so if you choose.

If PETA thought destroying 90% of the animals they take in was a bad thing, they would end it, but they don't. At least the church is admitting child abuse is a sin.
It's not a bad thing if the animals are really sick or unadoptable.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or animal shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world."
Yeah, that.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's not a bad thing if the animals are really sick or unadoptable.
Correct. I have posted pictures of some of the ones PETA put down in a humane way, they were beyond repair and in shelters that would do nothing for them except kill them, but not so kindlly.
Animals are euthanized in shelters everyday. I'm glad it disturbs people. That is why PETA has a mobile clinic where they offer on site spays and neuters.

PETA's Mobile Clinics Division (MCD) spays and neuters hundreds of companion animals every week in Southeastern Virginia in three state-of-the-art mobile clinics. Each clinic is capable of spaying and neutering up to 28 animals per day. The staff consists of a licensed veterinarian, a licensed veterinary technician, a veterinary assistant, and an assistant who checks in each animal. The clinics operate an average of six days a week and travel from Virginia's Eastern Shore to Gloucester and from the Border Station in Chesapeake, Virginia, to Emporia and locations in between.

Since its inception in 2001, PETA's mobile clinics have helped to prevent the births and inevitable suffering of hundreds of thousands of unwanted dogs and cats in Virginia and North Carolina, all through low-cost or free sterilization surgeries.

PETA staffers volunteer to go into low-income neighborhoods to distribute flyers about our low-cost spay and neuter program. The clinics park in these neighborhoods, which makes it easier for residents to take in their companion animals for surgery. If someone doesn't have transportation, we offer to transport his or her animal to and from surgery at no cost.

The mobile clinics park at animal shelters and humane societies and spay and neuter the animals who are up for adoption prior to their release so that there are no accidental pregnancies.

PETA's Mobile Clinics Division | PETA.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies