Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
JimJ who I take it is a guy, the reason women worry about rape more than something else horrible like murder or dismemberment or being set on fire, is because rape is more likely to happen. And it is that traumatic. People like you minimize it so it makes it easier for a rapist to feel it's not so bad.

You compared rape to bad parenting, so you lack empathy for violent crime victims.
And people also "maximize" it so that it causes an inordinate amount of resources to be directed at it, makes it harder for victims to recover, makes people live in irrational levels of fear of it, causes often irreparable damage to someone accused of it even if they are innocent, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And people also "maximize" it so that it causes an inordinate amount of resources to be directed at it, makes it harder for victims to recover, makes people live in irrational levels of fear of it, causes often irreparable damage to someone accused of it even if they are innocent, etc.
Sadly, I find this to be all too true.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
The discussion has too many different elements, from false accusations (awful) to rape vs. molestation (not the same) to penalty for violent offenders, etc. I think serial rapists, violent rapists deserve maximum penalty and rape fear is legit because of lax attitude toward the crime. If people, boys and men in particular took it more seriously and instead of raping the "dead girl", they could have just shaved one eyebrow or put a funny hat on her if they had to do something stupid with the "dead girl". Maybe if there was male social pressure against rape and that it is totally unacceptable to even joke about, that might be a start.
Instead you all talk about how people shouldn't be affected by it because it's not that bad. WTF.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The discussion has too many different elements, from false accusations (awful) to rape vs. molestation (not the same) to penalty for violent offenders, etc. I think serial rapists, violent rapists deserve maximum penalty and rape fear is legit because of lax attitude toward the crime. If people, boys and men in particular took it more seriously and instead of raping the "dead girl", they could have just shaved one eyebrow or put a funny hat on her if they had to do something stupid with the "dead girl". Maybe if there was male social pressure against rape and that it is totally unacceptable to even joke about, that might be a start.
Instead you all talk about how people shouldn't be affected by it because it's not that bad. WTF.
When I use "molestation" it's a general term...maybe I should have said molested and raped..as I was held down and penetrated at least twice

Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
When I use "molestation" it's a general term...maybe I should have said molested and raped..as I was held down and penetrated at least twice
I don't understand. It really seems like you are denying a bit, but if it helps you. It's odd you would use think molested first and not rape first.

It just doesn't help everyone to tiptoe and forgive and it's cool with me if they want some real justice. Whatever works for the victim, unless a victim wants a perp to go free knowing they will rape again. And be assured once a rapist always a rapist.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Quote:
There we go again watering down rape. That is more hateful than anything. The most honorable people I know believe the punishment for rape should be the death penalty. A person had to be a true animal to ever rape another human being.
The problem with making the punishment for rape equal to the punishment for murder, aside from it simply being too extreme, is that it would leave no incentive for a rapist to not kill their victim. We would end up seeing more rape victims being murdered to cover up the crime because "dead men tell no tales".

Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't understand. It really seems like you are denying a bit, but if it helps you. It's odd you would use think molested first and not rape first.

It just doesn't help everyone to tiptoe and forgive and it's cool with me if they want some real justice. Whatever works for the victim, unless a victim wants a perp to go free knowing they will rape again. And be assured once a rapist always a rapist.
Probably because there was far more molestation going on, it's what I think of first. Not that I really give it much thought these days. Actually, I think first of being locked in a dark shed while he went to play baseball in the field out back more than anything else.

And forgiveness is for my peace of mind, it's not about him.

And after all we've been through, I'm not dragging my family or his through a bunch of crap,and to what end?
My peace lies in God..not the hit or miss justice system we have here

Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
America is schizophrenic. It wants to be overtly sexual, even hyper-sexual, but also wants to have scapegoats to use to pretend not to be.

The damage done by sex crimes in general is profoundly overstated.

The recidivism of sex offenders is commonly touted as being extremely high, in order to justify extreme policies; it isn't.

(See http://www.endsexcrime.org/theproof.html )

Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Op thinks rape = same as being beat up.

Op loses all credibility.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Op thinks rape = same as being beat up.

Op loses all credibility.
I could see it being an issue of magnitude of each individual situation. Have you been beat up or raped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies