Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
nothing, because the majority of companies already offer insurance to those who arent full time.being full time just means you qualify for alot of other company perks like maybe a gym membership, college tuition reimbursement, daycare services and so on.
Retail stores tend to offer health insurance, vacation, sick pay, and maybe a bonus for full time employees. You won't be getting daycare services from Bestbuy or Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
nothing, because the majority of companies already offer insurance to those who arent full time.being full time just means you qualify for alot of other company perks like maybe a gym membership, college tuition reimbursement, daycare services and so on.
Do you have some documentation for "the majority of companies" doing this?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the Canadian healthcare system. There is no limit on healthcare of the type you are describing. I mean, there is no point at which an individual would be cut off. There are wait times sometimes that run a bit longer than they might in the U.S., but at least no one is denied healthcare. I mean, everyone is treated equally.
Unless you die while waiting. Again, why do you think the Canadian healthcare tourist trade is so large if all is so great with it in Canada?
After living near the Canadian border and then being full time in an RV around Canadians all the time I've heard some real horror stories that don't happen here (yet).

Now some insurance companies are saying premiums will jump over 100% in 2014? Yep, great law.

"The nation’s big health insurers say they expect premiums — or the cost for insurance coverage — to rise from 20 percent to 100 percent for millions of people because of changes that will occur when key provisions of the Affordable Care Act roll out in January 2014."

Mark Bertolini, CEO of Aetna Inc., one of the nation’s largest insurers, calls the price hikes “premium rate shock.”
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...WIRE/130319818

Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have some documentation for "the majority of companies" doing this?
Don't hold your breath.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
If you have a company with 90 employees and make only $200K in profit, then I'd say you have one foot in the grave already, and should probably be thinking about how to turn things around as opposed to crying about health insurance.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you have a company with 90 employees and make only $200K in profit, then I'd say you have one foot in the grave already, and should probably be thinking about how to turn things around as opposed to crying about health insurance.
Something tells me you've never owned or will ever own a business.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
ObamaCare Could Cost This Bakery Half Its Annual Profits

Seems like the closer we get to 2014, when everything really takes affect, the more we see how right we were about Obamacare. You naysayers out may have to eat a lot of crow. Much of what we said was coming, and many denied is actually coming.

Small businesses will be hurt. Jobs will be lost. Curious to see what affect this is going to have on the economy and the unemployment numbers next year. I cant imagine it will be good. I think we all are going to be affected by this, and mostly in a negative way. Only time will tell who the ill informed voters pin the blame on. Will they continue to say oh its just the employers fault or this rich guys fault, or will they finally wake up and see that the government is not the solution to our damn problems.

Every other story I read about Obamacare, I get sickened more by the words I still hear plainly in my mind, "we have to pass the bill, so you can find out whats in it". That evil, twisted woman. How she can even sleep at night, how people can look up to her can not be comprehended.
Give me a break. If they pay the $2000 for 95 employees, it is $190,000 a year not $216,000. Secondly, if they employ 95 people, they are not "small business". Since every other business will be paying it as well, they are not at any competitive disadvantage paying it. They can simply raise prices by a small amount. Better than dumping their sick and injured employees on the rest of us who do pay.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People with pre-existing conditions were able to buy insurance.
But the market was small and the cost was very high.

Obamacare changed the market for it but the cost is still very high.
Many didn't bother with the high risk pool because they still couldn't afford the premiums even with subsidy.
Not true. My mother had breast cancer and no company would touch her for any price.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is the typical scenario for restaurants, ours included, and probably a lot of small businesses in general.
Very few restaurants employ 51 full time workers.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Give me a break. If they pay the $2000 for 95 employees, it is $190,000 a year not $216,000. Secondly, if they employ 95 people, they are not "small business". Since every other business will be paying it as well, they are not at any competitive disadvantage paying it. They can simply raise prices by a small amount. Better than dumping their sick and injured employees on the rest of us who do pay.
The logic in this post is confusing and contradictory. First you state "They can simply raise prices by a small amount" then you go on to say <bold>.
If a company raises it's prices, (which by the way is exactly what they do) then how are they not dumping the cost of the sick and injured on the rest of us? That's exactly what they're doing.
This goes back to the fact that business' do NOT pay taxes (like health care) they collect them from the public. If taxes and costs go up so do prices so yes, you will pay like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies