Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,574,722 times

Advertisements

Due to the National Organization for Marriage's boycott of Starbucks because of the company's support of same-sex marriage, shareholder Tom Strobhar, who also happens to be the founder of the anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage Corporate Morality Action Center, stated that he did not like the effect that the company's politics might be having on the bottom line: “In the first full quarter after this boycott was announced, our sales and our earnings — shall we say politely — were a bit disappointing,” said Strobhar."

In response Starbucks CEO Schultz responded:

"“The lens in which we are making that decision is through the lens of our people. We employ over 200,000 people in this company, and we want to embrace diversity. If you feel, respectfully, that you can get a higher return than the 38 percent you got last year, it’s a free country. You can sell your shares of Starbucks and buy shares in another company. Thank you very much."

Read more: Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz Slams Anti-Gay Marriage Shareholder - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:44 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,970,606 times
Just making sure, is this one of those times when liberal morons love a bunch of billion dollar 1%ers because they just happened to say something they like?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:48 PM

361 posts, read 745,804 times
A stock holder's meeting without controversy is a stock holder meeting wasted. Just look at the publicity.

Knowing Howard, and I do not know him personally, he probably arranged his.

Nice move, Howard.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,393,097 times
File this one under "Who gives a f&^%"

Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,912,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post

I second that.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Just making sure, is this one of those times when liberal morons love a bunch of billion dollar 1%ers because they just happened to say something they like?
Wow, the faulty logic you display in your post is just embarrassing. You do realize that people in the 1% also have politics. I can't help it that you have people like Romney and Trump and we have people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I second that.
You know it makes more sense to simply not participate in threads for which you have no meaningful contribution to make. Otherwise your posts just come off as the temper-tantrums that they are. Sorry but liberal politics and big business go together quite well, contrary to those who wish to perpetuate the myth that they are antithetical.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,970,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Wow, the faulty logic you display in your post is just embarrassing. You do realize that people in the 1% also have politics. I can't help it that you have people like Romney and Trump and we have people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
So I was right, you're completely ok with obscenely rich people who take advantage of employees and have more money than small countries as long as they promote your illogical liberal agenda?

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,009,458 times
Seeing how a quarter of his baristas are gays, Id expect him to do that. I think most times ive been to a Starbux, theres been an obvious flammer there.

But like someone else said, couldve been staged too. Wouldnt surprise me. People are always looking for good publicity, and being homosexual friendly seems to be the in thing now, the media and hollywood will praise you for it.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,393,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

You know it makes more sense to simply not participate in threads for which you have no meaningful contribution to make. Otherwise your posts just come off as the temper-tantrums that they are. Sorry but liberal politics and big business go together quite well, contrary to those who wish to perpetuate the myth that they are antithetical.

Well helene, if we don't point out to you just how utterly uninteresting & useless your threads are, we run the risk of you creating more threads. Although after thinking about it I'm guessing you will continue with these types of threads and posts despite us having pointed out the obvious to you.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So I was right, you're completely ok with obscenely rich people who take advantage of employees and have more money than small countries as long as they promote your illogical liberal agenda?
Yes, it must just be horrible to work for Microsoft, Berkshire Hathaway or Starbucks, in particular, where even part time employees qualify for healthcare coverage.

I mean honestly do you even think before you write your posts? If you stopped working from such gross generalizations you might actually fool people into believing that you can think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies