Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here in PA you're supposed to voluntarily pay it but that's a giant hassle even if you wanted too: Use Tax

Making it fair is fine but this is going to be a giant hassle for small online retailers. You have 52 different states to deal with and then many local jurisdictions have their own sales tax, can you say paperwork tsunami?
In my state, if a person buys something off of eBay who is located in my state, often the seller will collect state sales tax from the buyer.

Yeah, I don't know how the states or feds would or could regulate internet sales. Nightmare comes to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
If the dems can tax it they will . Seems this tax hurts the middle class the most
I'm not so sure this could be a partisan issue, except of late, because the idea of taxing internet sales has been rolling around for quite a few years now, not just under the Obama admin.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/13/go...tax-authority/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
In my state, if a person buys something off of eBay who is located in my state, often the seller will collect state sales tax from the buyer.

Yeah, I don't know how the states or feds would or could regulate internet sales. Nightmare comes to my mind.
People would have to start collecting based on the home state of the purchaser and submit to the various states.
Tax nightmare for a small business owner doing online sales.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Here in NC, the NC sales tax is collected upfront; by being automatically added to your total purchase amount.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Hooray more paperwork for the small business owner!!!
Big corps know this and will be pleased,as this keeps the little ones from encroaching on their turf.

Big taxes, big government and big crony corps. Progressive utopia is just over the horizon

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Hooray more paperwork for the small business owner!!!
Big corps know this and will be pleased,as this keeps the little ones from encroaching on their turf.

Big taxes, big government and big crony corps. Progressive utopia is just over the horizon

More people on this forum need to read what Frank DeForrest writes and just sit for a moment and think about it. Block everything that MSNBC or FOX has ever told you from your mind and think for yourself for once. Because it's all really simple once you get away from the propaganda. The truth comes very easy.

It is really sad how the American public has been brainwashed.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
But we're not talkin about a business collecting a tax for people in their own state. We're talking about a business collecting for other states (the state the purchaser lives in) and submitting that tax to the purchaser's state.
A small business would now have to submit 50 tax forms to send in sales tax to each state. Is that done quarterly ?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
???? I guess you don't like sales taxes?
I guess the whole state of NH doesn't like sales taxes either and people flock here to buy in this stinking economy.

They come and buy skis. Ski boots and all sorts of sporting goods they can't buy tax FREE from where ever they come from.

Just to ski can run one person better than 1,500 bucks for just skis bindings boots and poles.... Which is ok if you can ski naked.

Sales taxes on top of everything else? Screw ALL the Taxes..... If you like taxes so well get friendly with England they like taxing people.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
???? I guess you don't like sales taxes?

Yeah I guess i don't. Ignorance is a prerequisite. I don't qualify to like it because I know better.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
More people on this forum need to read what Frank DeForrest writes and just sit for a moment and think about it. Block everything that MSNBC or FOX has ever told you from your mind and think for yourself for once. Because it's all really simple once you get away from the propaganda. The truth comes very easy.

It is really sad how the American public has been brainwashed.

Agreed. Why do we tax? All I ever see is about the revenue. The mob makes revenue. Do they create prosperity?

"The power to tax is the power to destroy" + "A tax imposed by the government at the point of sale on retail goods and services." =

destroy goods and services.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:49 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
When just about everything has a tax on it, find something new to tax. The new thing- internet sales.
When a city can't cover the cost of the money they spend, install revenue cameras on traffic lights.
When home value drops and less property tax is collected, increase the millage rate to bring in the same [or more] revenue.
When vehicle owners drive less because of $4.00 a gallon gas, increase the sales tax to make up the lost revenue.
When a state that relies on 'sales tax' for revenue [no income tax] and people are spending less money, almost double the cost to register a vehicle to make up for the lost revenue.
When asked to 'save water' and we do, increase the per gallon charge to make up the difference.
City/county/state/federal government will NEVER have less revenue collected to spend and they are always looking for ways to take more money out of your pocket. If the dems regain controll of the house in 2014, be prepared for a 'carbon tax' and a 'VAT' on EVERYTHING you purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies