Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What you are arguing against is sales taxes in general, not just internet sales tax collection.

Everyone is double-taxed all the time. Fees such as fishing licenses, drivers licenses, hunting licenses, tolls, taxes on alcohol, tobacco, gasoline are all double-taxation -- so are property taxes, which are paid with already taxed money.
So let's stop talking about "fairness". As it is now and as proposed, it's not. Instead of revising the tax code, they just keep adding on top of the mess they already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Currently, you have to pay use tax to MA. Use tax is the same percentage as sales tax. This is not expected to change.

No much really. For online purchases, they're trying to make it easier for you by having you pay at the time of the transaction rather than at a later time.
How considerate of the powers that be to make things "easier for us". Progress their way is always good for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,046 times
I'm not sure which is worse, raising and creating new taxes, regardless of what you call them or reckless spending without accountability. Both parties and all politicians are at fault and this has been going on all my life. This is why congress gets to control when it gets a raise. What a gig!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
It's not a suggestion. $1 million is currently in the proposal.
I was aware of that. There was an interesting debate on the subject on NPR, Thursday morning. During that discussion, there were a couple of people suggesting that $10 million would be better than $1 million. The argument was that, in the world of retail, $1 million isn't very much.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,744 times
I do quite a bit of selling my products online. As it stands, the government is not paying me to act as their tax collector, so I have no intention of collecting or remitting any money to the government.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 AM

251 posts, read 436,760 times
I'm sure Ebay, Amazon, PayPal, etc will take it right off the top.

I don't mind an online sales tax. It would help rejuvenate mom an pop retail start-ups which would mean more jobs.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that you evade taxes? You already pay use tax on internet purchases. All this does is change it so you pay sales tax at the time of purchase so you don't have to deal with use taxes. The only people the government is getting more money from is people who aren't paying taxes they owe.
Evade taxes? Let us look at is it legal for Florida to tax me on a purchase made in NY. Why is that legal? Does Florida have any expense in my online purchase? The truck that delivers the product pays taxes to operate in Florida and this form of business actually saves the state of Florida (i.e. taxpayers) by keeping cars off the road and reducing traffic jams, wear and tear on the roads etc...what is the downside to that? Then toss in the big myth of global warming...hey...isn't that what we are suppose to be doing? staying off the roads?

It is all about taking as much money from people via taxes and spending this money somewhere..usually in a corrupt manner....

Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Evade taxes? Let us look at is it legal for Florida to tax me on a purchase made in NY. Why is that legal? Does Florida have any expense in my online purchase? The truck that delivers the product pays taxes to operate in Florida and this form of business actually saves the state of Florida (i.e. taxpayers) by keeping cars off the road and reducing traffic jams, wear and tear on the roads etc...what is the downside to that? Then toss in the big myth of global warming...hey...isn't that what we are suppose to be doing? staying off the roads?

It is all about taking as much money from people via taxes and spending this money somewhere..usually in a corrupt manner....
1. Yes, it is legal for FL to charge you taxes for purchases made in NY, assuming you didn't pay NY taxes. That is how it is now.

2. Taxes collected during sales/use are not directly related to the services provided by the state in relation to the purchase. I don't know why you think that, but it's not how taxes work.

3. Yes, evade taxes. If you are not paying FL tax on your out-of-state purchases, then you are evading taxes.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post

I don't mind an online sales tax. It would help rejuvenate mom an pop retail start-ups which would mean more jobs.
It is not fair for you to use your head in this issue.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 AM

3,526 posts, read 3,730,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel88 View Post

I sympathize with these notions, but, at least for me, a high percentage of products that appeal to me would never be available in most mom-and-pop operations. I have no choice but to order them online, as those products just don't fit into mom-and-pop's business model or whatever the case may be. I am really glad the Internet exists and that I can make these out-of-state purchases, and I never want to go back. There is just more required cost-wise and logistics-wise in running a modern business. I do like the 1 million dollar threshold under this legislation.

Furthermore, how many people even know there is a use tax at all? I would be interested in seeing such a poll.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,373 times
its going to be a complete nightmare for me doing my taxes every month, having to know the tax of every state and county.. ugh i already jump through two major tax forms every single month now what am i'm going to have to do 50?? more red tape, more time wasted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies