Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
The unit I was in, in the service, had some small, but very powerful crossbows. Effective, and very quiet. And, we had guys that could throw knives almost as well as we could shoot a bolt out of a crossbow. Want to try again?
From your anecdote, you somehow extrapolate that the great number of gun owners have those skills.
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Put a person with a knife into a crowd of 100 people and see how many people (if any) can he kill before being taken down my bystanders.

Put a person with a 30 round assault rifle into a crowd of 100 people and see how many people he can kill before (if any) bystanders are able to take him down.

---

We don't want to outlaw guns in general.

We simply want to limit magazine sizes, so a crazy person can only potentially injure/kill 8 people vs 30 people.

I am a gun owner myself.
I don't really see the need for large capacity magazines either, but how long does it take to drop an empty mag and pop in a loaded one, will it make that much difference? There are so many large cap mags out there already, I doubt a ban will do much good. Law abiding gun owners are the only ones who will honor the ban, criminals don't give a zhit about the law anyway, so it won't make a lot of difference.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
durring the 1930's through the 1960's do you want to guess how many homes were bombed with TNT?

can you buy TNT anywhere? without a permit?

Special Report - al.com

Are you suggesting if it were readily available there would be no additional cases?

Your argument is poor at best. With additional restrictions on tnt have you heard of any cases since the 60's? They are sparse at best.

Don't think anyone buying a truckload of Amonium nitrate doesn't raise flags now.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Default Florida Update: Concealed Carry Permits Up, Violent Crime Down

Florida Update: Concealed Carry Permits Up, Violent Crime Down

The recent report from ABC News that in Florida, where there are more concealed weapons permits than anywhere else in the country, violent crime has dropped to the lowest point in history, delighted Sean Caranna, executive director of Florida Carry, Inc. “We’re happy to have facts and statistics put into these debates, because every time they do, we win,†he said.

Firearm-related violent crimes in Florida have dropped by one-third in just four years, 2007 to 2011, while concealed carry permits jumped by 90 percent in that period. Further, violent crime of any kind dropped almost as much, 26 percent.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
While it's true that firearm homicides in Florida declined since 2007, that's only because 2007 saw an unexpected rise in firearm homicide.

From 2001 to 2011, the number of firearm homicides in Florida increased by 38 %.

Here are the firearm homicides in Florida from 2001 to 2011 (the most recent year available)

2001___502

2002___552

2003___586

2004___555

2005___521

2006___740

2007___825

2008___780

2009___695

2010___669

2011___691

This data is from the Uniform Crime Reports for Florida, which can be found here:

Florida Department of Law Enforcement

Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
I also know that all the safeguards and background checks and all, only go so far. In New York City, a convicted felon is able to acquire a fully-automatic weapon, without any kind of background check, and without any kind of waiting period. I don't have any of the prices, but if you have the money, shoulder-launch missiles, grenades, and even cruise missiles are available. OVER THE INTERNET. And, those that are selling them will deal with ANYONE, ANYWHERE in the world, at ANYTIME.

What's more, they're using a bit of our own military software to cover their tracks so that government agencies can't find them.

Now, come up with a way to EFFECTIVELY CONTROL GUNS.

I know about this because of a couple of journalists that tried it. They contacted the dealers and made a purchase. When the package was delivered ( in only 3 days) it contained: One shoulder launch tube. Six S. A. M. missiles. Made in Russia, sold to Lybia. And, from there, who knows where. About the only thing not available is a nuke. So, it's quite possible that arms and weapons that the US sells to other countries might also be finding their way into that market. They deal with terrorists, felons, or anyone, including our own CIA agents.

The "anti-gun" crowd really needs to grow up, pull their heads our of the sand (or regions a bit higher off the ground), take off their rose colored glasses, and take a hard look at reality. Pass every law you want, ban firearms completely, and you will not eliminate them. You may slow things down a bit, but that's about it. Because, in order to make any kind of weapons control truly effective, there's one more thing you are going to have de-activate. THE INTERNET. I don't see you doing that.
This entire post is BS....there is NO way you gun buy a FULLY AUTOMATIC weapon of any sort without a permit....

Unless you are doing it ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There appear to be a number of Ninjas on here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding me. No knife can take several lives at once unless you are sleeping.
Six people killed in Jersey knife attack | UK news | The Guardian

You poor uniformed lefties....

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are you a Ninja chucksnee? cool!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:32 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't really see the need for large capacity magazines either, but how long does it take to drop an empty mag and pop in a loaded one, will it make that much difference? There are so many large cap mags out there already, I doubt a ban will do much good. Law abiding gun owners are the only ones who will honor the ban, criminals don't give a zhit about the law anyway, so it won't make a lot of difference.
There is greater chance that the gun will jam when you insert a new mag.

It will also take up more space.

Many times a 15 second window is all it takes to bombard a criminal.

It's true there are already many large cap mags out there.

However, eventually they will start to filter out over the long run.

Also, it will give the DA more teeth in sentencing longer sentences to criminals that use them.

I am a gun owner, I support gun ownership, and I support castle doctrines in homes, businesses and automobiles.

Most mass massacres were from legally bought guns anyways.

It won't solve gun violence, but it will help lower the amount of damage and if a criminal uses an illegal sized mag, it will give the DA the ability to add more years in prison.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Are you a Ninja chucksnee? cool!
Figures you would have nothing to come back with.....facts suck, and you are one that hates facts, especially when they prove you wrong.

Just look at your response....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies