Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

We've seen this song-and-dance before...

Lawmakers call for more US involvement in Syria

Quote:
The Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee is calling for greater United States involvement in Syria through the creation of safe zone that would allow the U.S. military to train opposition forces attempting to overthrow President Bashar Assad...
Video:

"Red line has been crossed" in Syria, Rogers says

Quote:
"The president went to the Middle East and said, 'This is a hard decision: If I go in, it might be wrong, if I don't go in it might be wrong,'" Rogers said. "Indecision, in this case, is dangerous."
How do people feel about this, though? Especially those of you in Michigan, since Rep. Rogers represents Michigan's 8th district (mainly the northwestern suburbs of Detroit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
No. Do not get involved. Not our problem. Let the Arabs handle their own pile of dung for a change.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
I am 100% against it. Many of the rebels are Islamic extremists no better then the Taliban, there is a good chance they would be worse then Assad.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I am 100% against it. Many of the rebels are Islamic extremists no better then the Taliban, there is a good chance they would be worse then Assad.
Sometimes the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know. Especially over there.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Sometimes the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know. Especially over there.
Honestly this article caused me to lose any sympathy I had for the rebels. To be honest part of me hopes Assad crushes them.

The Fall of a Syrian Pagan | The Wild Hunt

Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Honestly this article caused me to lose any sympathy I had for the rebels. To be honest part of me hopes Assad crushes them.

The Fall of a Syrian Pagan | The Wild Hunt
I don't really care myself. We have enough problems over here to deal with.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Just get it over with. It's clear that Assad's days are numbered. Better to get in now with the new government rather than lock ourselves out on the sidelines. Letting Syria fall without any will negatively impact our interests in the region and some key allies, including Israel, Turkey, Jordan and Iraq. I realize in the Libertarian La-La Land we should have a limp-wristed non-interventionist foreign policy; in the Real World (TM) I'd rather fight wars over there than over here.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

524 posts, read 400,246 times
We need to stay the hell out of it. As it is we are already involved in too many unconstitutional "conflicts" that we cannot afford. Aside from that, I thought the "red line" was drawn for the Syrian Government, not the rebels. Our government did say that we officially support the rebels or the Syrian Resistance Army or whatever they call themselves. According to a few articles published today, the jihadists rebels were responsible for the chlorine bomb, not the government. Apparently, Washington, Russia, and Syria all agree on this as well. Let someone else play world police for a while, that is if we can fend off Netanyahu, he's been itching for war.

Syria chemical weapons: finger pointed at jihadists - Telegraph

Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Just get it over with. It's clear that Assad's days are numbered. Better to get in now with the new government rather than lock ourselves out on the sidelines. Letting Syria fall without any will negatively impact our interests in the region and some key allies, including Israel, Turkey, Jordan and Iraq. I realize in the Libertarian La-La Land we should have a limp-wristed non-interventionist foreign policy; in the Real World (TM) I'd rather fight wars over there than over here.
So your answer is to install the Syrian version of the Taliban? Because that worked out really well for us in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Just get it over with. It's clear that Assad's days are numbered.
That's really not clear at all. The most you could say is that Assad's days as a ruler of the land within Syria's current boundaries are over, but remember that his "tribe" - the Alawites, and their allies - still control a significant amount of territory, and are at little risk of losing their homelands along the coast.

Quote:
I realize in the Libertarian La-La Land we should have a limp-wristed non-interventionist foreign policy
That was a common refrain before Iraq. "If you don't support this stupid war, you're a coward or something."

Quote:
I'd rather fight wars over there than over here.
With what money? Taxpayer dollars that we don't have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies