Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fox News for the most part "Fair and balanced"
Fair and balanced news spoken like it is 14 32.56%
Right of center 29 67.44%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:35 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
A bunch of angry-at-the-world old, white men sitting in front of the TV in their underwear.
Why? They are typically the most financial well off of any category. It doesn't make sense.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Think about that for a second. Fox viewers arent just in their 60's but they are in their 70's. This is the Tea Party network that is supposed to be giving us balanced news. Does anyone who posts here admit to being over 70 and watching Fox??? Is anyone 25-54 watching Fox? They just hit a 12 year low for that age group.

Fox News Sees 12-Year Low In Key Demo During May

Fox Geezer Syndrome

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/bu...nels.html?_r=0

I volunteer for Meals on Wheels and the people usually want to talk. I am acutely aware that many of the elderly have Fox News on all day long and as the day progresses they become more and more agitated with how their country has changed from "the good ole days" and Fox validates their perceptions.

I don't mind any news entertainment show other than Shaprton.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,035,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I volunteer for Meals on Wheels and the people usually want to talk. I am acutely aware that many of the elderly have Fox News on all day long and as the day progresses they become more and more agitated with how their country has changed from "the good ole days" and Fox validates their perceptions.

I don't mind any news entertainment show other than Shaprton.
FOX paints a much grimmer picture than it actually is, unfortunately right wing nutjobs swallow it hook line and sinker.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
And yet you cared enough to start a thread about FOX.
I certainly do care. Fox has an influence way out of proportion to all reason. A VERY negative influence too, I must add. Just like one rotten apple can spoil the entire barrel, so it is with Fox. Their influence is very detrimental to the entire country. All they do is to tear down and destroy, often through lies, misinformation and just plain propaganda. They would not even be allowed a licence to broadcast in Canada since it's a against the broadcast standards to lie or misrepresent news over the air waves. All of their time would be spent broadcasting official corrections for the lies.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I certainly do care. Fox has an influence way out of proportion to all reason. A VERY negative influence too, I must add. Just like one rotten apple can spoil the entire barrel, so it is with Fox. Their influence is very detrimental to the entire country. All they do is to tear down and destroy, often through lies, misinformation and just plain propaganda. They would not even be allowed a licence to broadcast in Canada since it's a against the broadcast standards to lie or misrepresent news over the air waves. All of their time would be spent broadcasting official corrections for the lies.
1. Fox has an influence way out of proportion to all reason

Fox is influential (and is highly ratied) for a reason. Ask yourself what that reason is. Some on here are so predictable I already know what they're going to say (should we make this a drinking game?). Please try to come up with something new and different.

Think of what this country would be like if Fox DIDN'T exist. It's one of the few dissenting voices shouting in the wilderness of sameness.

Dissenting voices are allowed in this country. We should embrace dissenting voices. We FOUGHT time and again to be allowed to have a dissenting voice.

2. All they do is to tear down and destroy, often through lies, misinformation and just plain propaganda

Your definition of propaganda may not be same as mine. Your definition of tearing down and destroying may not be the same as mine. But I'm pretty sure that we both define the word "lie" the same way. Please provide examples of lies told by Fox News between April 22-April 29, 2014.

You've got a week to work with there. That should be enough.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
So if I watch CBC, I won't get any misrepresentation? I have read a few things from CBC, but I've never watched anything.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
So in Canada the government can shut down political speech they deem lies?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Any links to prove this stance???

Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. Fox has an influence way out of proportion to all reason

Fox is influential (and is highly ratied) for a reason. Ask yourself what that reason is. Some on here are so predictable I already know what they're going to say (should we make this a drinking game?). Please try to come up with something new and different.

Think of what this country would be like if Fox DIDN'T exist. It's one of the few dissenting voices shouting in the wilderness of sameness.

Dissenting voices are allowed in this country. We should embrace dissenting voices. We FOUGHT time and again to be allowed to have a dissenting voice.

2. All they do is to tear down and destroy, often through lies, misinformation and just plain propaganda

Your definition of propaganda may not be same as mine. Your definition of tearing down and destroying may not be the same as mine. But I'm pretty sure that we both define the word "lie" the same way. Please provide examples of lies told by Fox News between April 22-April 29, 2014.

You've got a week to work with there. That should be enough.

Somehow I doubt you will get that reply.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So in Canada the government can shut down political speech they deem lies?
If a news report is proven to be a lie then the "liar" is required to make a retraction and correction on air. That is the minimum. Large fines may be levied and repeat behaviour will result in the loss of the "License to broadcast" which would effectively put the offender out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies