Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Have you seen all the billions of taxpayer dollars 0bama has wasted on failed and bankrupt green energy loans and subsides??? We taxpayers need to tell our government to get out of the green energy corporate cronyism business
We have been subsidizing fossil fuels for decades throughout all their huge profit years and even now. That is a LOT of bucks.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
China, although probably the world's largest polluter, is trying to turn that around - even China recognizes the value of alternative energy.

The country is expected to surpass Germany to become the largest solar market by installing as much as 5.39 gigawatts of photovoltaic panels this year

China unveils big renewable energy ambitions for 2013
Move to China. Be sure to protest a lot too. I hear it works wonders there and they even sometimes consider slowing down the tanks before they run you over.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Move to China. Be sure to protest a lot too. I hear it works wonders there and they even sometimes consider slowing down the tanks before they run you over.
Why are you so bitter?
Well, that's off topic, I guess.

My point is that as insensitive as China is, it manages to see the problems created by fossil fuel, and so do many other countries. It is in the US, the bellweather of democracy, that we are dragging our feet. It is shameful that so many in our government cave to businesses that are clearly bad for the people of our great nation.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
I don't think anyone would argue against trying to get off fossil fuels. Pretty much everyone knows that eventually they are going to run out or become so rare as to be too expensive to buy. As a national security measure it would also be a wonderful thing to be energy-independent. And, yes, during this time as the fossil fuels running out, we need to be doing everything we can to find alternative fuel sources. We also need to be doing something about how our nation's infrastructure and public transportation.

But these are all topics for another thread. The major issue is whether all of our transportation and energy issues are actually causing catastrophic damage to our climate.

Some effect? Maybe.
Catastrophic? Highly doubt it.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Climate change? Oh yes, it is a fact.
Global Warming? I find that a little harder to believe, especially when the WEATHER has been running about 30 degrees below average temperatures. Yes, I know, that is WEATHER, not climate.
Unless, of course, the WEATHER is WARMER than usual, then it is proof of global warming.
Sorry, you can't have it both ways!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I don't think anyone would argue against trying to get off fossil fuels. Pretty much everyone knows that eventually they are going to run out or become so rare as to be too expensive to buy. .
Yes. In about 200 years.... unless more are discovered.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:

My point is that as insensitive as China is, it manages to see the problems created by fossil fuel, and so do many other countries. .
What problems are those?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Why are you so bitter?
Well, that's off topic, I guess.

My point is that as insensitive as China is, it manages to see the problems created by fossil fuel, and so do many other countries. It is in the US, the bellweather of democracy, that we are dragging our feet. It is shameful that so many in our government cave to businesses that are clearly bad for the people of our great nation.

Move there then. Buh bye!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
It is in the US, the bellweather of democracy, that we are dragging our feet. It is shameful that so many in our government cave to businesses that are clearly bad for the people of our great nation.
Yes, I agree. A good example is Obama giving 535 million dollars to Solyndra.

It is bad for our people for idiots like Obama to take our hard earned tax dollars and give them to his buddies for wasted green initiatives.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes. In about 200 years.... unless more are discovered.

I'm reasonably certain that more will be discovered, so 200 years is probably an underestimation. Which shold give industry, reserch insitiutes, universities and venture capitalists enough time to develop the technologies necessary to live without oil. I think most are arguing for this to happen sooner rather than later. I personally would like it much sooner, mainly for national security measures and energy-independence.

During this time, the automotive industry should be - and probably already are - working on fuel and exhaust efficiency. There's nothing wrong with trying to keep what we've got clean. Pollution, at the very least, is an eyesore. At the worst, it can be harmful. Harmful enough to cause global climate change and catastrophe? Nah. So, I have no problem with pollution regulations so as long as they don't interfere with a smoothly functioning economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies