U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 AM

12,408 posts, read 18,204,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, I agree. A good example is Obama giving 535 million dollars to Solyndra.

It is bad for our people for idiots like Obama to take our hard earned tax dollars and give them to his buddies for wasted green initiatives.
Germany and Japan are trying moving away from fossil fuels and nuclear while there are forces in this country that just bury their heads in the sand, refusing to admit that there is even a problem. We should be at the leading edge of new technology in the world. We used to be the trend setter, and now we are entrenched in the overloaded corporate foot dragging bureaucratic morass. We are better than this. We deserve better.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM

31,108 posts, read 19,518,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Germany and Japan are trying moving away from fossil fuels and nuclear while there are forces in this country that just bury their heads in the sand, refusing to admit that there is even a problem.
There is no current problem. We have decades, if not centuries to replace fossil fuels.

When the market is ready, the problem will be easily and quickly solved.

Government should not subsidize ANY energy sources. That just distorts the market and wastes taxpayer money. It is immoral to take tax dollars from a hard working auto mechanic and give them to a rich person who buys solar panels.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 AM

334 posts, read 836,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
NOAA: 2012 broke U.S. heat records - CNN.com

A good article if you really care about this topic. Though I would like to see where the OP got his numbers for the highs and lows record breaks.
Records dating back to 1885. A small blip in time.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:28 AM

13,056 posts, read 12,478,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Records dating back to 1885. A small blip in time.
It is also not true. I think it was this thread, but if you go back through it you will see a post I gave which shows numerous problems with that claim.

Problem with the topic of Climate change is that old dated garbage claims get recycled over and over throughout the internet. It is why some researchers and administrations promote their findings in the media before they have finished peer review as by the time it is reviewed and flaws are found, the internet is plastered with garbage.

The 2012 hottest year claim was killed shortly after it was promoted.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
There is no current problem. We have decades, if not centuries to replace fossil fuels.

When the market is ready, the problem will be easily and quickly solved.

Government should not subsidize ANY energy sources. That just distorts the market and wastes taxpayer money. It is immoral to take tax dollars from a hard working auto mechanic and give them to a rich person who buys solar panels.
Yes, would that a shortage were our only problem, and not that we are suffocating our planet, not to mention how horrible the breathing of these gases are for the public.

I used to work in New York, a little later than the Mad Men days. I'd take the bus into Jersey through the tunnel. The bus would sometimes get stuck there. The fumes were so thick that you could barely see. Everyone would hold their breath when this happened because the fumes felt so caustic in your lungs. I would come home and have to wash my face immediately from all the refuse of car exhaust that was stuck on it. A wipe with a tissue would show all these black particles.

Now, the tunnel is clear, there is no soot on my face and people can breathe, and it is all because of those government regulations regarding vehicle fuel efficiency. It does not take a genius to know that fossil fuels are not good for us - or the rest of the planet.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM

31,108 posts, read 19,518,457 times
Quote:

Now, the tunnel is clear, there is no soot on my face and people can breathe, and it is all because of those government regulations regarding vehicle fuel efficiency. It does not take a genius to know that fossil fuels are not good for us - or the rest of the planet.
It does not take a genius to know that fossil fuels are essential to our lives and their production has been mostly cleaned up.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
It does not take a genius to know that fossil fuels are essential to our lives and their production has been mostly cleaned up.
I'm glad to see that we agree.
Much of the industrial world is making strong attempts to make fossil fuels, as well as nuclear energy, unessential.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 AM

19,941 posts, read 11,440,702 times
Quote:
I'm glad to see that we agree.
Much of the industrial world is making strong attempts to make fossil fuels, as well as nuclear energy, unessential.
I am very much a skeptic when it comes to climate change, but I am fully behind the private sector moving to a post FF energy economy.

The next 50 years are going to be exciting! We just need to make sure the transition is not in the name of saving the planet, while at the same time, actually distroying the planet.

A good example would be the birds and bats being killed by windmills. This is a serious issue with tens ouf thousands being killed yearly.

Now if a single migratory bird is found dead on an oil patch, heads role, the EPA goes nuts and people can actually get arrested. thats pure nuts.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM

13,056 posts, read 12,478,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am very much a skeptic when it comes to climate change, but I am fully behind the private sector moving to a post FF energy economy.

The next 50 years are going to be exciting! We just need to make sure the transition is not in the name of saving the planet, while at the same time, actually distroying the planet.

A good example would be the birds and bats being killed by windmills. This is a serious issue with tens ouf thousands being killed yearly.

Now if a single migratory bird is found dead on an oil patch, heads role, the EPA goes nuts and people can actually get arrested. thats pure nuts.

Until they kill off the "Climate Change" propaganda, all you are going to get is enviro-fanatics pushing policies and directions that are based on dogma and not sound and practical means of change.

You have to kill the the cause of poor policy before you can establish viable ones and with the EPA at the helm driven by activist groups, it isn't going to happen.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,702,051 times
Quote:
Germany and Japan are trying moving away from fossil fuels and nuclear while there are forces in this country that just bury their heads in the sand, refusing to admit that there is even a problem. We should be at the leading edge of new technology in the world. We used to be the trend setter, and now we are entrenched in the overloaded corporate foot dragging bureaucratic morass. We are better than this. We deserve better.

I'm all for you setting a trend. I'm also all for you paying for that trend you want to set with your OWN money. Quit legislating the THEFT of other peoples' hard earned money to fund your over-inflated ego driven utopian society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.