Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

What an odd thing to get into a snit about! Only in Democratville would people make so much ado about nothing.

I think it's a great philosophy. You're welcome to visit, but if you think you're gonna drag your ugly azz here and trash our state, think again!

Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I remember him well and liked him, I was born and raised in Oregon and hope to return as soon as the real estate market in my area re-bounds.

Your right about there are no more repubs like him, he was popular on both sides of the ticket.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Tom McCall was Governor of Oregon in the late 1960s, back when a Republican could actually believe that protecting the environment was a sensible, and conservative concept. Do these sort of guys even exist anymore?

McCall's two terms as Oregon's governor were notable for many achievements in the environmental sphere, including the country's first "bottle bill",[8] the cleanup of the Willamette River,[9] passage of a law to maintain former Gov. Oswald West's legacy of public ownership of the state's beaches, and the first statewide land-use planning system, which introduced the urban growth boundary around the state's cities. These achievements have done much to create McCall's enormous legacy in the state.[10]
McCall is well known for a comment he made in a Jan. 12, 1971, interview with CBS News' Terry Drinkwater, in which he said:
“ Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live.[11]
This may be the dumbest thread I ever read.

You're suggessting Republicans today don't care about the environment. lols. What a load of hose ****.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

You're suggessting Republicans today don't care about the environment. lols. What a load of hose ****.
There is a lot of evidence to support the bold. Mitt Romney's sneering comments about protecting the oceans at the RNC come to mind.

My father was a Republican and an elected official. He'd roll over in his grave to see what has become of the Republican Party.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a lot of evidence to support the bold. Mitt Romney's sneering comments about protecting the oceans at the RNC come to mind.

My father was a Republican and an elected official. He'd roll over in his grave to see what has become of the Republican Party.
Bush Creates World's Largest Set of Marine Sanctuaries - ScienceNOW

Rare Point of Green Light in State Budget Bill | Ohio Environmental Council

Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Well looking at evironmentalist and hwat has happned has changed many minds. A example is the new orleans flood gates turned down because of a minnow in the 60's under Johson administration. Too many bad/purely poltical decisons based on not looking closely at what result could be in real human terms.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
This is a thread about Tom McCall that I started years ago: One of Tom McCall's quotes and your take on it.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Just because Republicans don't think we should throw taxpayer money at everything the "greens" want us to does not mean Republicans don't care about the environment.

Republicans have to live in the environment like everyone else. It is in their interest to keep it clean.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

Would this be the GOP that want to axe the EPA, say "screw global warming," and "drill baby drill?"

I have a feeling McCall would not have agreed with you.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is a thread about Tom McCall that I started years ago: One of Tom McCall's quotes and your take on it.

Nice thread and discussion.

I suppose the McCall quote shares the view of many Oregonians. Let's face it, Oregon has about 4 million folks and California has 40 million. California scares us to death. Legions of folks roll in with money we can never make here, and buy up everything. That is why we like our public lands. Can't buy those. We are misanthropes, but we are not alone. Coloradoans fear being overrun by Texans. Vermonters fear M*******s and New Yorkers, etc. The main wealth we have is our land and scenery, and we don't want it ruined by hordes of urban expats in Range Rovers. So understandable, but the quote is hypocritical and rude.

All the same, McCall's attitude and background show some common origins. Most environmentalists come from priviledge, and their concern is a blend of real appreciation for nature in an aesthetic sense and a healthy dose of NIMBYism. That said, it works. I would put the physical beauty of Oregon up against a "right to develop" state like Texas or Oklahoma anytime. Public lands add a lot to one's experience in living in an area. The fact that a Republican could say that without being branded a RINO points to the fact that the GOP was a bigger tent then than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies