Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Hey, you can probably get a check for that!
I don't doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Placing people on disability is easier to dismiss away than rising unemployment numbers.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
This is a good thread topic.

With that being said, haven't liberals been fighting tooth and nail to keep the Welfare Society Apparatus™ in place and untouched?

Yes, they have. And any mention of fraud, waste, and abuse is met with "it's just miniscule" or
"conservatives telling anecdotal stories are liars!!" or "there's no such thing as a person on food stamps eating good!" or "who cares! George Bush spent a trillion dollars in Iraq!"

This is why I approach such a thread with complete and total skepticism. Especially when a liberal pretends to care all of a sudden. Liberals have not gave one damn about welfare abuse at any stage of the current Presidency, and now there's a thread on the "viability" of sustaining disability payments?

Give me a break.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is a good thread topic.

With that being said, haven't liberals been fighting tooth and nail to keep the Welfare Society Apparatus™ in place and untouched?

Yes, they have. And any mention of fraud, waste, and abuse is met with "it's just miniscule" or
"conservatives telling anecdotal stories are liars!!" or "there's no such thing as a person on food stamps eating good!" or "who cares! George Bush spent a trillion dollars in Iraq!"

This is why I approach such a thread with complete and total skepticism. Especially when a liberal pretends to care all of a sudden. Liberals have not gave one damn about welfare abuse at any stage of the current Presidency, and now there's a thread on the "viability" of sustaining disability payments?

Give me a break.
It's not a thread on the viability of sustaining disability payments. It's a thread on the viability of supporting communities economically via disability payments. The community in the article lost its primary employer. And people in the community couldn't find work. A doctor in the community asks the patients about their educational level, not to determine how sick they are, but to determine how employable they are within the community they reside in, and that is the key factor for the doctor in recommending whether they get disability or not.

It seems to me that the doctor is using disability payments to sustain the community. That may not be his intention, or even a priority, but it is the effect. I don't think a community can be sustained long-term this way, and I wonder if it's even desirable to do so.

As human beings, we all get invested in the communities we live in, economically, socially, emotionally. The community becomes a part of our identity. I think that as we get older, that becomes even more true, and I think, as well that with small communities the ties, economic-social-emotional, are stronger than they are with larger, more urban communities. The people in the community described by the article are deeply vested in their communities. But should the government, via disability payments, subsidize these small communities that have lost their primary employers due to globalization and other market forces?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Personally I think it like anything else abused;it faces reform i comig years on just what it means.that is happenig to alot of programs going forward.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Hey, you can probably get a check for that!
I looked at the reasons for disability a while back, and by an overwhelming majority most of the people who are disability are on it for "mood disorders"

Old 03-26-2013, 12:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I looked at the reasons for disability a while back, and by an overwhelming majority most of the people who are disability are on it for "mood disorders"
Far too many people collect on disability. I see it every day. Only a very few SEVERE mood disorders would get through my net. Along with bad backs and sore necks

Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Far too many people collect on disability. I see it every day. Only a very few SEVERE mood disorders would get through my net. Along with bad backs and sore necks
Far too many people collect workman's comp with 'bad backs' and 'sore necks' as well. It is all such a farce. Reminds me of hearing about doctors prescribing a bottle of rye during prohibition for 'debility'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies