Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
Last I checked a lot of other languages were spoken in this country besides Engliah.
So what? They are minority languages. English is the language spoken by the majority of Americans and is our national de facto language.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-27-2013 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Well in the case of Mexicans, we did steal their land.

They aren't crossing the border, the border crossed them.

You mean the land that the Mexicans took impermissibly from the Spaniards, who took impermissibly from the Native Americans (who are NOT of the same Mayan and Aztec cultures and peoples from which the majority of Mestizo Mexicans derive).

I suppose under your crack logic we should allow free immigration from the UK because we stole British land too?

Fun fact though: Only 9% of Mexicans in the USA today can trace back their heritage to original settlers present in the United States when "the border crossed them."

9%.

More fun facts: For the very brief time the American Southwest was "Mexican," the "Mexicans" passed laws explicitly to keep "Anglos" out.

History, it's fun when you actually learn it.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Before I answer, let me start off by saying that I am against illegal immigration and my response does not pertain to illegal immigrants.

The communities are not segregated. 2nd generation immigrants attend our education system and go on to interact with the rest of the country. These communities foster an environment where opportunities are not limited by cultural barriers. They allow immigrants to more easily achieve the American dream.

What's more important is that they are all about integration. Sure, first generation immigrants will be relatively conservative about leaving their roots behind, but their children integrate well with the rest of society. If you look at it from a long-term perspective, these communities are a tool for immigrants to come here, create their American dream and merge their families with the rest of American society over the next generation or two.

Every settlement on the new world has worked this way going as far back as Dutch settlements. We forget that it takes a generation or two for a family to assimilate. And there's nothing wrong with that unless you're only care about the short-term.

Don't worry, these families will be speaking fluent English in the next generation and so on. They won't stick to spanish. It's only the current generation that will. Obviously, in the future there will be a new set of families that will have just come here and they will be in the same position as the current families. They too will take on English in the next generation.
And what has this to do with the possibility that this guy came here at 18 years old lived here for 26 years and never learned English? There is no excuse for that except pure laziness and a non-desire to assimilate to the country he chose to migrate to.

I don't have a problem with legal immigants however there is the possibility that this guy was an illegal alien or at least his wife is. You do know the difference, don't you?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,475 times
Lol...people on CD arguing about Mexico and who needs to speak English. Lol I bet that man is buying his plane ticket and giving away all of his stuff as we waste time worrying about him. $$$ is the universal language of the globe...I don't speak spanish...Mandarin...Dutch...etc but I damn sure understand cash money.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
He sounds like a fine, upstanding example of a successful immigrant to me. Congratulations, Mr. N.J. man! Spend it well!!

My grandmother came from Italy and never learned to speak English. The family spoke Italian to her. We never thought less of her. Stop the hate. Someone won and it wasn't you.
Here is your clue. Your grandmother was an elderly person. This guy came here when he was 18 years old! Hate? So to want immigrants to assimilate into our society is hate? I couldn't care less about the money he won. The topic is about the fact that he lived here for 26 years and may not even speak English. What part of that aren't you getting?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:07 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I never said he didn't speak English because none of us know that for a fact but it certainly points in that direction from what we do know. If he does, good for him. I would hate to think that someone who came here at a young age and still didn't speak English after being here for 26 years. I hope he is here legally also.

Except the article (video accompanying, actually) DID say he didn't speak English.

Not that it really matters in the end cause he can hire a full time translator now if he wanted, lol...but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect immigrants to America to try harder.

Especially these days when you can travel around the world and find people who speak English.... yet the ones who want to live here and do live here often don't seem to learn it!

Older folks moving here can get a pass. But if you move ANYWHERE from your native land to a new country, you should be expected to speak some of the language. This goes equally for Americans moving to foreign lands.

(And again, disclaimer to the clueless: second generation here (first born in America), so please no xenophobe accusations!)

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Well in the case of Mexicans, we did steal their land.

They aren't crossing the border, the border crossed them.
The debate isn't really about the land though, is it? Isn't the debate about the economy that was built on the land after it was already taken? If we gave back the desert land, just as it was when we found it, wouldn't people still be trying to cross the new border to get to the economy?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The question is he an American citizen for which there is a requirement to know some English. Otherwise, he could be dealing just with other Spanish speakers and therefore never had to learn English.
That is the problem in our PC country nowadays. Unlike the early immigrants, immigrants today are encouraged to not assimilate into our society linguistically. They are encouraged to hang on to their native language out in mainstream. Mind you I don't care what language they speak at home. Immigrants are colonizing in their own neighborhoods rather than assimilating. It is like we have several little countries within our country. I am reminded of this wise statement by Theodore Roosevelt.

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here is your clue. Your grandmother was an elderly person. This guy came here when he was 18 years old! Hate? So to want immigrants to assimilate into our society is hate? I couldn't care less about the money he won. The topic is about the fact that he lived here for 26 years and may not even speak English. What part of that aren't you getting?
I love the fact that he didn't speak english...Since there is no law that english need be spoken at a news conference.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Lol...people on CD arguing about Mexico and who needs to speak English. Lol I bet that man is buying his plane ticket and giving away all of his stuff as we waste time worrying about him. $$$ is the universal language of the globe...I don't speak spanish...Mandarin...Dutch...etc but I damn sure understand cash money.
Another one who misses the point of this topic entirely and I am sure it is on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies