Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
I love the fact that he didn't speak english...Since there is no law that english need be spoken at a news confrence.
Another one who misses the point of this topic entirely and I am sure it is on purpose.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
People aren't illegal...yet.
Only their immigration status ...

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Except the article (video accompanying, actually) DID say he didn't speak English.

Not that it really matters in the end cause he can hire a full time translator now if he wanted, lol...but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect immigrants to America to try harder.

Especially these days when you can travel around the world and find people who speak English.... yet the ones who want to live here and do live here often don't seem to learn it!

Older folks moving here can get a pass. But if you move ANYWHERE from your native land to a new country, you should be expected to speak some of the language. This goes equally for Americans moving to foreign lands.

(And again, disclaimer to the clueless: second generation here (first born in America), so please no xenophobe accusations!)
Thanks for the update. So it is just as suspected. He doesn't speak English after living in this country for 26 years and he was a young man when he came here.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another one who misses the point of this topic entirely and I am sure it is on purpose.
No law in speaking any language one chooses. None.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
No law in speaking any language one chooses. None.
Who said there was??? It is about the rudeness and laziness of not learning English after living here 26 years!

Yet you claim that you don't hate America, it's identifying language, culture and the dominant demographic of it? Please, I wasn't born yesterday. Perhaps you should move elsewhere if you don't like those things.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
Quote:
I don't miss the point. It would be completely different if his lack of English language skills had inhibited him from producing income and rearing a family but it didn't.

The point is that who cares at this point?

The U.S.A isn't the only place on the planet to live and big money=instant access.

All I see is a bunch of bitter people who are mad that something good happened to a person who they feel didn't deserve it. Like the universe really gives two sh*ts about what you think in regards to the worthiness of any individual.

Most of the problem is plan old fashioned racism. If that was a white skinned Italian...Slavic...or someone from the Netherlands and they had did what that man did all of you haters would be stating that they were "job creators" and just the type of immigrant who should be in this country.

In addition. Who to say that he speaks zero English?

Many people still think in their native language. So the conversation process goes like this: Hear something in English...brain translate it into native language...think of repsonse in native language and then translate to English.

That takes time...the conversation is halted and under pressure sometimes you can't think fast enough.

If I had a T.V camera in my face my limited Spanish would be very hard to produce in a timely fashion. I've spoken to people in Spanish and just couldn't come up with the right response at times. Many times it was after the person left that my brain was like: Oh damn that was what I was supposed to say or that's how you say x,y,z.

So who really knows how much Enlgish he speaks? All people know is they see a brown skinned man who wasn't born here and their hackles go up.

Last edited by Jasper03; 03-27-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
The "point" of this topic, as expressed by a few who repeat the same theme ... is that they don't seem to like it that a man of color, an immigrant, a man whose first language is Spanish ... won this huge lottery prize. There are tones of discrimination laced throughout the comments of the few persons who attack the winner without possessing much information about him or his background. Extremist, anti-American value viewpoints. That's what we are seeing expressed by these few. Don't covet what others have. Be happy for the family's good fortune.

http://media.northjersey.com/images/...nner_dngnk.jpg

Old 03-27-2013, 07:32 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Who said there was??? It is about the rudeness and laziness of not learning English after living here 26 years!

Yet you claim that you don't hate America, it's identifying language, culture and the dominant demographic of it? Please, I wasn't born yesterday. Perhaps you should move elsewhere if you don't like those things.
He is guilty of rudeness and lazziness...WOW.

The only dominant demographic is in your mind...

Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The "point" of this topic, as expressed by a few who repeat the same theme ... is that they don't seem to like it that a man of color, an immigrant, a man whose first language is Spanish ... won this huge lottery prize. There are tones of discrimination laced throughout the comments of the few persons who attack the winner without possessing much information about him or his background. Extremist, anti-American value viewpoints. That's what we are seeing expressed by these few. Don't covet what others have. Be happy for the family's good fortune.

http://media.northjersey.com/images/...nner_dngnk.jpg
Where did anyone say that they oppose the color of this man's skin or that he is an "immigrant" other than if he is an illegal alien? Where??????????? Do you just make up this stuff as you go along? It is discriminating and extremist to expect someone who has lived in this country for 26 years not to know English? Really? No, an anti-American viewpoint would be defending him for not learning English after 26 years, Mr. Go"Mexico".

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
He is guilty of rudeness and lazziness...WOW.

The only dominant demographic is in your mind...
I guess you haven't read the census then? What racial group makes up the majority in this country? I'll wait for you to tell me again that it is only in my mind after you have read it. Yes, he is guilty of rudeness and laziness, no wow about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies