Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess you haven't read the census then? What racial group makes up the majority in this country? I'll wait for you to tell me again that it is only in my mind after you have read it. Yes, he is guilty of rudeness and laziness, no wow about it.
Reread the census and see if there is any thing in there about speaking spanish or any other language other than english is unlawful.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I don't miss the point. It would be completely different if his lack of English language skills had inhibited him from producing income and rearing a family but it didn't.

The point is that who cares at this point?
I do think that there is a point:

In order to have a functioning country, you MUST have a common means of communication. If you cannot communicate with each other, you cannot properly exchange ideas, you stifle business transactions, you cannot interact with some of your employees or with your employer, you'll have a tough time buying a movie ticket or ordering food, you put your life in danger (What if your prescription says to take a pill once a day but you, who only speaks Spanish, take it eleven times a day?), and so forth.

Sure, there is no official language, but it behooves us to use a common one. While I can manage to speak several languages, there is no way that I can be expected to order my food in Spanish, argue with a supervisor in Thai, switch to Mandarin when I ask directions, and ask for my prescription drugs in Dutch. Sorry, it's not going to work as is evidenced by this very forum - or would you like me to write all this in another language that you may or may not speak?

See, we are exchanging ideas but if I were to write this all of this in Thai, we simply won't...

A few years ago while staying at a small boutique hotel in Miami, I was hanging out in the lobby. The main door of the hotel was broken and needed repair.

As I was lounging, I saw the manager take a look at the door and subsequently walk over to the phone in order to call companies that would be able to repair the door.

The first company he called did not have anyone in the office who could speak English - and the manager, for whatever odd reason, did not speak Spanish.

Thus, the manager called a second company. Apparently, the phone call was answered in Spanish because the first words out of the manager's mouth were "Do you speak Spanish?" The person, apparently, did not and when I saw the hotel manager hang up the phone, I gathered that, again, nobody else in the office did!

He called a third company and had the very same experience.

I then saw and heard him talk to a co-worker: "You'd think that you'd be able to find an English-speaking company here in the US." He was frustrated and irritated - and I fully understand why.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
We do have a functioning country without an official language. In some scenarios what you speak of is accurate but not as it pertains to this individual....am I right?

In this specific case his lack of English language skills did not inhibit from supporting himself and his family.

So all of what you wrote does not pertain to this individual.

In THIS particular situation why all the anger? Come on now what is this really about?

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I do think that there is a point:

In order to have a functioning country, you MUST have a common means of communication. If you cannot communicate with each other, you cannot properly exchange ideas, you stifle business transactions, you cannot interact with some of your employees or with your employer, you'll have a tough time buying a movie ticket or ordering food, you put your life in danger (What if your prescription says to take a pill once a day but you, who only speaks Spanish, take it eleven times a day?), and so forth.

Sure, there is no official language, but it behooves us to use a common one. While I can manage to speak several languages, there is no way that I can be expected to order my food in Spanish, argue with a supervisor in Thai, switch to Mandarin when I ask directions, and ask for my prescription drugs in Dutch. Sorry, it's not going to work as is evidenced by this very forum - or would you like me to write all this in another language that you may or may not speak?

See, we are exchanging ideas but if I were to write this all of this in Thai, we simply won't...

A few years ago while staying at a small boutique hotel in Miami, I was hanging out in the lobby. The main door of the hotel was broken and needed repair.

As I was lounging, I saw the manager take a look at the door and subsequently walk over to the phone in order to call companies that would be able to repair the door.

The first company he called did not have anyone in the office who could speak English - and the manager, for whatever odd reason, did not speak Spanish.

Thus, the manager called a second company. Apparently, the phone call was answered in Spanish because the first words out of the manager's mouth were "Do you speak Spanish?" The person, apparently, did not and when I saw the hotel manager hang up the phone, I gathered that, again, nobody else in the office did!

He called a third company and had the very same experience.

I then saw and heard him talk to a co-worker: "You'd think that you'd be able to find an English-speaking company here in the US." He was frustrated and irritated - and I fully understand why.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM

116 posts, read 93,629 times
Aww, someone's asshurt.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Winner winner chicken dinner!

This is just more of the: I'm tired of the brown and black people getting what rightfully belongs to the white Americans of this country. It's just all stated in coded language like people are too stupid to figure out what these people really have a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybricks View Post
Aww, someone's asshurt.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Reread the census and see if there is any thing in there about speaking spanish or any other language other than english is unlawful.
Why did you divert from my question? I asked you what race is the majority in this country. We are all aware that non-hispanic whites are but you said it was all in my mind.

The census isn't our Constitution nor is it the law. So why would you bring up the right to speak any language in this country in regards to the census? I myself have said that it isn't againt the law to speak any language other than English so just what are you getting at here? I merely said it is rude and lazy not to learn English after living here for 26 years. Stop changing the subject!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!

This is just more of the: I'm tired of the brown and black people getting what rightfully belongs to the white Americans of this country. It's just all stated in coded language like people are too stupid to figure out what these people really have a problem with.
Oh stop with this race card BS! I don't give a rat's behind the race of the winner nor do most Americans. Brown and black citizens already enjoy every right that white citizens do so what aren't they getting that is rightfully theirs? I have no problem with legal immigrants or citizens of any race. Notice I said CITIZEN? Illegal alien is something entirely different and I also don't give a rat's behind what skin color/race they are. They all need to go home where they belong! What part of that aren't you people getting?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Only in America could you emigrate from a third world country and suddenly be thrust far above your wildest dreams to a life of wealth and privilege.
I'm talking about Obama.... this Dominican winning the lottery is good, too.
What third-world country did Obama emigrate from? Chicago? Hawaii?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm laughing over here.

Cry babies.

Also, I strongly believe that he will gladly be going back to where he came from...with 338 million dollars to help him make his way home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with this race card BS! I don't give a rat's behind the race of the winner nor do most Americans. Brown and black citizens already enjoy every right that white citizens do so what aren't they getting that is rightfully theirs? I have no problem with legal immigrants or citizens of any race. Notice I said CITIZEN? Illegal alien is something entirely different and I also don't give a rat's behind what skin color/race they are. They all need to go home where they belong! What part of that aren't you people getting?

Last edited by Jasper03; 03-27-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
I can't believe you guys are still going on like this. Where in the article did it say he could only speak Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies