Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,897,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I want nothing from Walmart. The last thing I bought at Walmart was a watch battery, and that's because the little jewelry shop I get my batteries at was closed and I needed my watch for the next day.

Depressed employees (because they are treated like crap), will not function properly at work, CANNOT function properly at work, and will not do as good a job as employees that are treated well. I can walk around any Walmart and find all the things wrong with the food section.

Publix's stock is owned by its employees, and its employees are always joyful, and take tremendous pride in their work. Around food I'm going to digest, produce, meat, whatever, I want employees that are happy and satisfied.

As for clothing, I buy most of my clothing at either a second-hand shop (to avoid giving a profit to companies manufacturing in China), or at Macy's when they have their last sales - 75-80% off. If I were to lose my mind and get clothes at Walmart, I'd be financing the a-hs that outsource, I'd end up with some butt-ugly clothing, and I'd be unhappy.

I love to be able to put together awesome outfits for casual and work environments without giving much money to companies that engage in outsourcing. Buying second hand is great, because companies that outsource are not pouring money into the pockets of Americans, so why should I give one penny if I can avoid it?

As for furniture - beds, for example, I have little choice in. Gotta buy those new. As for almost everything else, I use craigslist, go to moving sales, etc. and see if I can find it there. I hate to have to do that. If things were manufactured here, I'd spend my money freely, but the a-hole corporations prefer to manufacture abroad so they can pocket their money. Well, by golly, I think I'll keep MY money from their hands then.
mmhmm, keep huffing and puffing in righteous indignation. It's all theatre. Hows that new iphone working out for you? dug that one up at a ma and pop I suppose. Or did you support those greedy a-hole corporations building their electronics in china? Id have thought you would buy a used one from a pawn shop. some refurbished candybar phone with dogchew marks on it would have the best social impact, giving as few bucks as possible to the evil money grubbing corps. then you could sleep easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,804,524 times
The Cubs are MY team. One of these days ... well, one of these days ...you'll see.

Walmart is losing business. Doesn't matter, they are losing. Bad business model? Likely. Poor mgt? Yep. Could drop like Sears, Kmart? Probably so unless they change. Perception and their bad PR is the cause of a lot of problems. What flies in Arkansas (and a lot of the south) doesn't necessarily fit everywhere else.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times
Quote:
I want nothing from Walmart. The last thing I bought at Walmart was a watch battery, and that's because the little jewelry shop I get my batteries at was closed and I needed my watch for the next day.
Thank god you got that watched fixed as I'm not sure you could have made it another day with it not working.

Quote:
Depressed employees (because they are treated like crap), will not function properly at work, CANNOT function properly at work, and will not do as good a job as employees that are treated well. I can walk around any Walmart and find all the things wrong with the food section.

Publix's stock is owned by its employees, and its employees are always joyful, and take tremendous pride in their work. Around food I'm going to digest, produce, meat, whatever, I want employees that are happy and satisfied.
This could very well be the dumbest statement of the week here on C-D.

Quote:
As for clothing, I buy most of my clothing at either a second-hand shop (to avoid giving a profit to companies manufacturing in China), or at Macy's when they have their last sales - 75-80% off. If I were to lose my mind and get clothes at Walmart, I'd be financing the a-hs that outsource, I'd end up with some butt-ugly clothing, and I'd be unhappy.

I love to be able to put together awesome outfits for casual and work environments without giving much money to companies that engage in outsourcing. Buying second hand is great, because companies that outsource are not pouring money into the pockets of Americans, so why should I give one penny if I can avoid it?
Funny you mentioned Macy's. I was just there buying some new suits and shoes since they were on sale. (When is Macy's NOT having a sale??) Just for laughs, I went to my closet to see where the stuff was made and wouldn't you know, NONE of it was made in the USA.

Cole-Haan shoes - Made in China
Calvin Klein Suites - Made in Mexico
Kenneth Cole Shirts - Made in Thailand
DKNY Shirts - Made Thailand
Ben Sherman Shirts - Made in Bangladesh

Hate to break it to you but you're going to have a tough time finding clothes that ARE made in the USA. Especially mainstream brands.

Quote:
As for furniture - beds, for example, I have little choice in. Gotta buy those new. As for almost everything else, I use craigslist, go to moving sales, etc. and see if I can find it there. I hate to have to do that. If things were manufactured here, I'd spend my money freely, but the a-hole corporations prefer to manufacture abroad so they can pocket their money. Well, by golly, I think I'll keep MY money from their hands then.
Corps have little choice but to manufacture overseas. Unfortunately you, and many others can't seem to figure out what staying competitive means.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Looks like Walmart can no longer afford to pay their workers poverty wages:

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Yahoo! Finance
You're going to offend the right wing morons on this site for sure with this.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
I own stock in Walmart... they are doing plenty well

Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You're going to offend the right wing morons on this site for sure with this.
Uhh? Okay.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
mmhmm, keep huffing and puffing in righteous indignation. It's all theatre. Hows that new iphone working out for you? dug that one up at a ma and pop I suppose. Or did you support those greedy a-hole corporations building their electronics in china? Id have thought you would buy a used one from a pawn shop. some refurbished candybar phone with dogchew marks on it would have the best social impact, giving as few bucks as possible to the evil money grubbing corps. then you could sleep easy.
Don't be daft. I do what I can. Your roundabout suggestion that if I'm unhappy with corporations I should just completely drop out of society and not fight it, is purely nuts. I fight the system everywhere I can fight the system, and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not. Anywhere I can't fight it, I don't, but you bet you're crazy behind I fight it where I can. You don't seem very happy about that. Dude, go to your fridge and pull out that six-pack of Bud, it might help you deal with this better. You sure aren't dealing well with it right now.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Thank god you got that watched fixed as I'm not sure you could have made it another day with it not working.
This could very well be the dumbest statement of the week here on C-D.
Funny you mentioned Macy's. I was just there buying some new suits and shoes since they were on sale. (When is Macy's NOT having a sale??) Just for laughs, I went to my closet to see where the stuff was made and wouldn't you know, NONE of it was made in the USA.
Cole-Haan shoes - Made in China
Calvin Klein Suites - Made in Mexico
Kenneth Cole Shirts - Made in Thailand
DKNY Shirts - Made Thailand
Ben Sherman Shirts - Made in Bangladesh
Hate to break it to you but you're going to have a tough time finding clothes that ARE made in the USA. Especially mainstream brands.
Corps have little choice but to manufacture overseas. Unfortunately you, and many others can't seem to figure out what staying competitive means.
Hell no I couldn't have done without my watch one single day. I love that watch. It's from Spain, has got a big leather strap, awesome dial, awesome face, love the thing. As for your assessment of my statement, I'd show you how much I care, but it might be considered lewd for a lady to use her finger that way. Ha.

Of course every piece of sh_t apparel in this country is outsourced crap, but if I'm going to buy myself a suit that looks pretty damned good discounted from $300 down to $50, rather than some old-lady-looking piece of crap from Walmart at the same price, you betcha I'll pay my $50 at Macy's. After all, I gotta go dressed to the office. We're not a nudist office. At least I know it's so damned discounted that Macy's is not getting much profit from me for the thing. Maybe someone else paid the $300, but not me. But me, pay $300 for a brand name suit? Hell no. Never. Maybe if it were made in the U.S., but not otherwise.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,642,217 times
Quote:

You've said all that already. Several times. We get it. You think Wal-Mart is dirty and unhappy.

Question: If you don't go there, how do you know all this silliness?

And why on earth do you care if the guy stocking cauliflower is happy? It has nothing to do with you.

Lotsa luck surrounding yourself with happy little elves and fairies. When I shop, I want to get in and out as quickly as possible. I don't go shopping in the hopes of making a new BFF in the employee lounge. It never occurred to me to consider going to Wal-Mart a social adventure.

Hilarious that someone who thinks green beans at Wal-Mart are dirty but will buy off Craig's List. How weird is that?

Gotta repeat this. It's too good to miss:

Quote:
Around food I'm going to digest, produce, meat, whatever, I want employees that are happy and satisfied.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Don't be daft. I do what I can. Your roundabout suggestion that if I'm unhappy with corporations I should just completely drop out of society and not fight it, is purely nuts. I fight the system everywhere I can fight the system, and will continue to do so, whether you like it or not. Anywhere I can't fight it, I don't, but you bet you're crazy behind I fight it where I can. You don't seem very happy about that. Dude, go to your fridge and pull out that six-pack of Bud, it might help you deal with this better. You sure aren't dealing well with it right now.
So I'm translating this to be that you "fight the system" when it's convenient for you, and looks cool to your like-minded liberal friends. Do I have that right? But when it's not convenient, like you "need" a watch battery right NOW, or want the latest gadget built by child labor in China, you're OK with selling out?

You fight the "system" that is the the liberal-devil-of-the-day. Which makes your whole philosophy just a little hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies