Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it's the far left that wants all your money.
Link/pics or it didn't happen.

The Evangelical right just wants your eternal soul....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I would just like to know why liberals trust "government" as a concept more than "big business" as a concept. I am giving liberals far more ground here because I could have said that liberals trust the government more than business, but instead, I said "Big Business" which should allow liberals to present a far more convincing argument to trust "government" over "big business."

I'm willing to go tit-for-tat with liberals and name off atrocity after atrocity that government has performed, in turn liberals name atrocities that corporations have committed. I just don't know what about government has convinced the left that it has the propensity toward "good" while big business is bad. I mean think of the Holocaust, Khmer Rouge, Maoism, North Korea, Stalinism, etc...the list goes on of atrocities committed by governments.
Who has bailed out big business time and time again?

The government.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
They're private entities that only exist because of government.
And they are oppressively brutal.

People are the issue. Governments, corporations, city-states, etc are merely human constructs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Dude, you've gone off the deep end. I bet you're the life of a dinner party.
Did you think that the right doesn't want to use the government to support their values and morals? That's adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Let me help your type out with something. Being on the Right and being a Nationalist is a positive.
I'm proud to be American. Apparently you are not.
I'd like to know what the antithesis of Nationalism is in your young mind.
Dang that strawman is about to burst!!!!!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Link/pics or it didn't happen.

The Evangelical right just wants your eternal soul....
Ahem...they want to control your mind and 10% of your income, plus all those other "funds": the church fund, the nursery fund, the choir fund, the youth fund, etc.

Yeah, they just want you to get saved

Old 03-18-2016, 09:51 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Even big business asks government for a handout.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And they are oppressively brutal.

People are the issue. Governments, corporations, city-states, etc are merely human constructs.
I'm agreeing that people are the issue, but giving people power to rule others, which is what government is, is the biggest issue. A person or group with permission to lock you in a cage or use force against you for disobeying them or refusing to pay them is more dangerous than a group trying to sell things to people.

Obviously people can be corrupt, sociopathic, or uncaring in both cases, but the damage is far worse when they're put "in charge" of society. Hitler is seen as one of the most evil people in history, but he would have been just some guy with crazy ideas if he didn't have political power and people who felt obligated to carry out his orders.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm agreeing that people are the issue, but giving people power to rule others, which is what government is, is the biggest issue. A person or group with permission to lock you in a cage or use force against you for disobeying them or refusing to pay them is more dangerous than a group trying to sell things to people.
But it's still people at the heart of the issue. Greed, envy, and power-lust are human constructs.

Quote:
Obviously people can be corrupt, sociopathic, or uncaring in both cases, but the damage is far worse when they're put "in charge" of society. Hitler is seen as one of the most evil people in history, but he would have been just some guy with crazy ideas if he didn't have political power and people who felt obligated to carry out his orders.
How would society past or present work without putting people in charge? People can cause great tragedies and great triumphants.

Would you want some cold, calculating super AI to become our ruler instead?

Old 03-18-2016, 11:34 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Can we stick to the united States please. Business if left unchecked will do horrible things and gov if left unchecked will do horrible things. Checks and balances are why capitalism works (somewhat) . I hear people on the right talk about how gov should move out of the way of business. Well..... What if YOUR life savings vanished because your bank went out of business before you could make a run.? I bet you would be crying for a bailout. What if your fav business decided it was cheaper to put some lead in your food or sawdust in your cereal to max profits? I bet you would be running to the gov for help then. Everything needs a balance. Remove the checks and balances and you have children and women burning to death in a locked factory in the city. Study history folks....... Don't get your civics lessons from fox news and rush Limbeck.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:48 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I would just like to know why liberals trust "government" as a concept more than "big business" as a concept. I am giving liberals far more ground here because I could have said that liberals trust the government more than business, but instead, I said "Big Business" which should allow liberals to present a far more convincing argument to trust "government" over "big business."

I'm willing to go tit-for-tat with liberals and name off atrocity after atrocity that government has performed, in turn liberals name atrocities that corporations have committed. I just don't know what about government has convinced the left that it has the propensity toward "good" while big business is bad. I mean think of the Holocaust, Khmer Rouge, Maoism, North Korea, Stalinism, etc...the list goes on of atrocities committed by governments.
I don't think it has anything to do with trust and everything to do with entitlements.

Business = Work
Government = Handouts

Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Look..... We have examples of what zero entitlements look like... Somalia..... Lol... Afghanistan. Former Soviet bloc. The masses must be pacified or you have war and strife . think it can't happen here???? See what happens if the businesses all pack up and move to India or Mexico..... What's stopping them from making a slow Exodus. You think poor starving people will be passive? They will come root you out of your mcmansion and your 2nd amendment won't help you. Pick up a history book and read about Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies