Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,024,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
See attached graph: Note that the standard-of-living in most of the countries above the US in these two bar graphs is considered better than that found in the US and that the US has far more poverty and income inequality than these other countries - and, in terms of democratic freedom, most of these countries are more democratic with more real freedoms.... We're the only developed country with this rabid, anti-tax madness.
So your stupid argument for more taxes is to compare us to other countries? I dont give a damn about other countries and they have nothing to do with us. The comparison is idiotic.

Yes taxes are too high here. Spending and waste are the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:42 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You don't work for free. Your tax money goes to funding your state's public sector and infrastructure. Roads don't fix themselves. Stop lights don't function on their own. Teachers/ firefighters don't work for free.

Our infrastructure is a crumbling mess because we're undertaxed.
Yes I do. For 7 days a month

Our infrastructure is a crumbling mess due to waste of about 4.5 days of work. That's enough to take care of that.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,959,999 times
Are they REALLY just complaining about higher taxes or are they complaining about higher taxes to pay for people who have refused to take responsibility for their actions and are being told it's okay to do so by the government because the wealthy (translation: responsible citizens) will pay for you to be irresponsible.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,386,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
So your stupid argument for more taxes is to compare us to other countries? I dont give a damn about other countries and they have nothing to do with us. The comparison is idiotic.

Throwing a hissyfit isn't a counter-argument.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,440,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

Expecting something for nothing is idiotic.
Americans' tax burden is lightest in developed world - USATODAY.com

Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,899,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You don't work for free. Your tax money goes to funding your state's public sector and infrastructure. Roads don't fix themselves. Stop lights don't function on their own. Teachers/ firefighters don't work for free.

Our infrastructure is a crumbling mess because we're undertaxed.
Roads should be paid for with the gas tax. It's high enough already. Stop lights are paid for from the city budget which is primarily sales tax. Teachers are paid for with my property taxes. Firefighters are paid for from the same budget as the stop lights.

If our infrastructure is crumbling, why do I have a one hour delay on a trip that is normally a little more than two hours on I-40? Road construction. Two months ago, the road was perfectly fine and now they are making it "better". If the state doesn't use 100% of its budget this year they won't get as much next year from the feds. That's the problem. It's not the fed's responsibility for the roads outside of the interstates.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Then why does half of americans fall into that category?

ps, saying that half of americans have no tax burdeon, and as a result, those who pay taxes dont pay enough, is pretty idiotic...

Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
See attached graph: Note that the standard-of-living in most of the countries above the US in these two bar graphs is considered better than that found in the US and that the US has far more poverty and income inequality than these other countries - and, in terms of democratic freedom, most of these countries are more democratic with more real freedoms.... We're the only developed country with this rabid, anti-tax madness.
now i agree with your premise, tax rates in the U.S. are very low for the people with the most wealth.

but that graph is misleading because it uses 2009, which was a year when tax receipts in the US fell dramatically because of the financial crisis.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,001,245 times
Quote:
Whats crap is this thread and your chart.

Is Corporate taxes the only taxes in america? Then why the hell does it only chart them, as it to proclaim thats all taxes? And is federal taxes the only taxes we pay? Of coruse not, then why the hell does it calculate them only?

Dumb

Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,673,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Roads should be paid for with the gas tax. It's high enough already. Stop lights are paid for from the city budget which is primarily sales tax. Teachers are paid for with my property taxes. Firefighters are paid for from the same budget as the stop lights.

If our infrastructure is crumbling, why do I have a one hour delay on a trip that is normally a little more than two hours on I-40? Road construction. Two months ago, the road was perfectly fine and now they are making it "better". If the state doesn't use 100% of its budget this year they won't get as much next year from the feds. That's the problem. It's not the fed's responsibility for the roads outside of the interstates.
So where is that money coming from which Feds send to States???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies