Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,224,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
No it isn't.

I know gay couples in Ohio that are married. The State of Ohio doesn't recognize it, but they still got married.

Nobody had any rights denied.
Does Ohio grant benefits to a married man and woman that it does not grant to a married gay couple? If so, then OH is not treating citizens equally. If my girlfriend and I decide to have a kid we have the choice on whether or not we marry and receive benefits from the fed gov. A gay couple doesn't have that choice.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,507,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
My state doesn't recognize gay marriage, civil unions, or common law marriage.

But nobody is prohibiting gay couples from marrying in your state.

Generally, I agree. I would add that military members get paid more if they are married. Currently, gays are treated the same as a divorced man and woman, but not the same as a married man and woman. I'm not sure how family courts and child custody/child support play into this though.
The lefties would get a lot more support for gay marriage of they wanted equality for everyone. Their silence on letting single hetereosexuals being discriminated against proves this is all politically motivated and is not about "equality" or "rights."

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,819,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
Get over it. Blacks aren't the only victims and blacks do not own victimhood (though many try). Gays have been killed, beaten up and harrassed all their life. Ever hear of Stonewall?

If you feel there is nothing in common between various groups when their civil liberties are trampled on, then black people need to take a second seat, as black people were never sent to mass concentration and death camps the way Jews were.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Does Ohio grant benefits to a married man and woman that it does not grant to a married gay couple? If so, then OH is not treating citizens equally. If my girlfriend and I decide to have a kid we have the choice on whether or not we marry and receive benefits from the fed gov. A gay couple doesn't have that choice.
That still doesn't mean it's illegal for a gay couple to get married.

And the government denies tax breaks for single people all the time. If the left was really about equality like they claim then they would be talking about this also.

But it's not about equality or marriage.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,917,861 times
Quote:
Technically it is "illegal" in 9 states. But it's not enforced.

It's allegedy "illegal" in Ohio but same-sex couples still get married. They aint being arrested, aint being fined. Gay wedding chapels aint being shut down by the State. So it is effectively legal. Same with all other states.
You are confusing in marrying legally and living as a lawful married couple. If they want to enter into any contract as a married couple is the Insurance company, bank, hospital, school going to lawfully recognise their marriage?

You are confusing wedding with a marriage.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,041,295 times
Quote:
No it isn't.

I know gay couples in Ohio that are married. The State of Ohio doesn't recognize it, but they still got married.

Nobody had any rights denied.
They are being denied the right to have a legal contract for marriage, you can strawman this all you want, the fact is still the same.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,319,840 times
Quote:
The lefties would get a lot more support for gay marriage of they wanted equality for everyone. Their silence on letting single hetereosexuals being discriminated against proves this is all politically motivated and is not about "equality" or "rights."

Utter fail in logic and critical thinking skills.

If you buy a house and take out a mortgage, you can take advantage of the benefits of same, including homestead exemptions against judgment, tax and mortgage interest write-offs.

But, you actually have to BUY THE HOUSE FIRST.

Non-homeowners aren't being discriminated against because or when they fail to buy a home to get the benefits.

However, if you say, "Only white people can buy a house" .... THEN you are being discriminatory because the CHANCE to obtain the benefits is not there for everyone in America as it should be. Likewise if you said, "only married couples can buy a house".... THEN single people would be discriminated against.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,041,295 times
Quote:
How have I as a single heterosexual male been discriminated? What inequality are you even talking about?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,224,460 times
Quote:
A heterosexual man and woman have the choice to get married or not. Gay couples do not even have that choice. One of the cases in front of the SCOTUS is up there because of >$300K estate tax bill. If marital benefits were not bestowed upon us by the fed gov that case would not be there.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They are being denied the right to have a legal contract for marriage, you can strawman this all you want, the fact is still the same.
It's not a strawman. It's a fact.

Gay couples are allowed to get married in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies