U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 AM
 
6,502 posts, read 5,075,104 times
Reputation: 3588

Advertisements

I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric

 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,599,725 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
What is normal? Can homosexuals marry their lover?
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 AM
 
6,502 posts, read 5,075,104 times
Reputation: 3588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What is normal? Can homosexuals marry their lover?
The love argument is a failure. If you go by "love" then you have to open the door to things like multiple people. By this type of argument then we should we call those against polygamy and incest biggots now? They just "love" each other.

That still doesn't compare to what blacks went through.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,599,725 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The love argument is a failure. If you go by "love" then you have to open the door to things like multiple people. By this type of argument then we should we call those against polygamy and incest biggots now? They just "love" each other.

That still doesn't compare to what blacks went through.
There is nothing wrong with polygamy. I should have the right to not only date multiple women, but marry multiple women as well.

Well you can hide being a homosexual. You can't hide being black. You can be fired if your employer finds out you are gay. Employers used to be able to fire you for your race. I think it is a basic civil rights issue, so in that sense it is the same. Black Americans still had it worse.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times
Reputation: 20425
There are too many similarities (with the issues themselves) to NOT draw comparisons between the two... and I'm sorry, but you don't get to tell other people what they can say.

Being gay and being non-white aren't the same things, no. But the arguments and those who oppose/d both interracial & gay marriage have many parallels: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...enation/52108/

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-27-2013 at 03:27 AM..
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The love argument is a failure. If you go by "love" then you have to open the door to things like multiple people. By this type of argument then we should we call those against polygamy and incest biggots now? They just "love" each other.
Slippery slope theory, but I personally couldn't care less about polygamy or incest either - as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult, and immediate family members aren't making babies together (serious risks there). Why do you care who other adults love?

Quote:
That still doesn't compare to what blacks went through.
I don't think anyone is comparing what gays vs blacks have gone through overall, just comparing the specific debates over marriage. As I said above, the parallels are too great to ignore.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Mille Fin
410 posts, read 516,302 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
It's not ''what the blacks went through'' but I can assure you that one day America will look at photos from anti-gay rights marches and hang its head in collective shame. Put it this way, if your grand kids inherit evidence that you rallied against gay marriage, they will surely dispose of it out of embarrassment.

Christian political agenda = wrong side of history. Fact in the midst of being proven yet again with gay marriage.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,038 posts, read 45,050,523 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
It's not ''what the blacks went through'' but I can assure you that one day America will look at photos from anti-gay rights marches and hang its head in collective shame. Put it this way, if your grand kids inherit evidence that you rallied against gay marriage, they will surely dispose of it out of embarrassment.

Christian political agenda = wrong side of history. Fact in the midst of being proven yet again with gay marriage.
http://www.atheistmemebase.com/wp-co...n-40-years.jpg

'nuff said.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-27-2013 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: copyright
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 AM
 
6,502 posts, read 5,075,104 times
Reputation: 3588
Again, comparing the two is foolish and appalling. Not even close to the same thing. Completely different
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 AM
 
11,780 posts, read 8,599,725 times
Reputation: 3425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Again, comparing the two is foolish and appalling. Not even close to the same thing. Completely different
What about the miscegenation laws and gay marriage? Seems identical.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top