Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM

945 posts, read 968,069 times

Advertisements

The best numbers I could quickly find were from 2010. In 2010 they spent a staggering $945m of taxpayers dollars to promote various government causes.

'Federal agencies spent at least $945 million on contracts for advertising services in fiscal year 2010, and that sum doesn't include all public communications expenditures in the agencies reviewed or even all of the executive branch, a congressional report out last week shows.'

'Of that total that was calculable, more than $545 million was spent by the Defense Department, much of it on ads to attract recruits, CRS noted.'

'The report says that advertising serves many purposes, including informing the public of its rights and entitlements; telling the public of the agency's activities; inviting public comment on proposed rules; warning the public of perils; and discouraging harmful or dangerous behaviors.'

We can probably safely assume they have automatic increases in their budget like the rest of the insulated world of government is treated.

The government is cutting white house tours, air shows, employees and a host of other functions since the sequester has been enacted as a form of punishment to the American people for daring to even slightly reduce the lifeblood of the government - Our money.

Should this ad campaign immediately come to a halt? Should this money be appropriated to better/less frivolous causes or simply returned to the taxpayers?

How do you feel about the government promoting further using services that have crippled the economy with debt and caused a free-loading society for over 50% of the people?

How do you feel about the government promoting/spending on recruiting of more soldiers while the Dept. of Defense burns through cash on two undeclared, illegal wars like raging wildfire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
There are allot of places we can cut, but most of these will not even make a drop in the ole bucket when compaired to the debt.
Obama needs to stop taking Air Force One out on date nites with his wife.
Biden doesn't need a 300,000 dollar limo ride.
How about we hold back on Congress paychecks until they really do something.
How about we bring all of our military home and close down all the bases outside of the US.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
There are allot of places we can cut, but most of these will not even make a drop in the ole bucket when compaired to the debt.
How about we bring all of our military home and close down all the bases outside of the US.

Agree with all of those.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
I agree too...NASA's annual budget for fiscal year 2010 was 18.7 billion.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
I also agree with these.

I always thought that if I ran for president one thing I would say is that I would never leave the White House grounds except for some emergency. An emergency on the scale of the nukes are already in the air. 9/11 or Katrina wouldn't be enough. You can see the damage without spending millions for a photo op. I am also a meat and potatoes guy. The chefs would be gone.

Get rid of the NASCAR ad for the army, the Patty Duke commercials about SS,and all of the others.

Close all recruiting offices. Online info and a call center if they needed addional info would be enough.

All conferences would be in places like Camden or Youngstown. See how necessary they would be then.

I could go all day on this. The older I get the more libertarian I get.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
The best numbers I could quickly find were from 2010. In 2010 they spent a staggering $945m of taxpayers dollars to promote various government causes.

'Federal agencies spent at least $945 million on contracts for advertising services in fiscal year 2010, and that sum doesn't include all public communications expenditures in the agencies reviewed or even all of the executive branch, a congressional report out last week shows.'

'Of that total that was calculable, more than $545 million was spent by the Defense Department, much of it on ads to attract recruits, CRS noted.'

'The report says that advertising serves many purposes, including informing the public of its rights and entitlements; telling the public of the agency's activities; inviting public comment on proposed rules; warning the public of perils; and discouraging harmful or dangerous behaviors.'

We can probably safely assume they have automatic increases in their budget like the rest of the insulated world of government is treated.

The government is cutting white house tours, air shows, employees and a host of other functions since the sequester has been enacted as a form of punishment to the American people for daring to even slightly reduce the lifeblood of the government - Our money.

Should this ad campaign immediately come to a halt? Should this money be appropriated to better/less frivolous causes or simply returned to the taxpayers?

How do you feel about the government promoting further using services that have crippled the economy with debt and caused a free-loading society for over 50% of the people?

How do you feel about the government promoting/spending on recruiting of more soldiers while the Dept. of Defense burns through cash on two undeclared, illegal wars like raging wildfire?
FEDZILLA its everywhere and every growing like an out of control virus.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I agree too...NASA's annual budget for fiscal year 2010 was 18.7 billion.
If you end NASA, were are all those well educated welfare recipients going to work?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
2010 - My church had a bunch of 2010 Census paraphernalia - shirts, hats, pens, lip balm. I shook my head at that - especially when my kids got in the car with that stuff.

Today, the ad that irks me is "Americas Navy - A Global Force for Good". Well, no its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies