Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Really? How about Italian females?

USA Basketball: Elena Delle Donne

She's 6-5.......

Hahaha, good one. She's definitely an exception to the rule, though. In general, Italian-American women are usually pretty short.

The tallest people in the world are the Dutch, and that's my ancestry. Wonder if we have any Dutch-American female basketball players.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, good one. She's definitely an exception to the rule, though. In general, Italian-American women are usually pretty short.

The tallest people in the world are the Dutch, and that's my ancestry. Wonder if we have any Dutch-American female basketball players.
Yes, I have heard the Dutch were tall, and I have met some folks from there who are. In fact a local female politician who is 6-2 in my town is of Dutch origin.

Don't know about prominent Dutch female players but there are a few males.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
A better analogy would have been the Cosby Show. I remember even hearing some brainwashed blacks say that show could not be real.
Unfortunately, I believe it was blacks themselves who made that argument. Many AAs felt that the Cosby's were "unrealistic" to their common family structure and often dsmissed it as bougie when it first aired. I hate to say it, but I think whites were the ones who made the Cosbys a hit and found common ground in the type of comedy that it was.

I remember that this issue was brought up sometime in the 80s when a lot of black folks had the reaction of:

"a father for a doctor and a mother for a lawyer? Who's family is dat? I don't know anyone like that."

The belief was that they were bougie, uppity and "acted like white people." And I believe some believed that their house probably "smelled like a white person's too." smh

If black folks aren't struggling to rub two nickles together to keep the lights on and the water running, then it aint 'real' enough and for some odd reason, many can't connect with it.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, I have heard the Dutch were tall, and I have met some folks from there who are. In fact a local female politician who is 6-2 in my town is of Dutch origin.

Don't know about prominent Dutch female players but there are a few males.
I was never much good at basketball despite my height, but I do help old ladies get stuff off the high shelves in supermarkets.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
I also remember the black community claiming Bill Clinton as the first black president...the sleazier he got the more they embraced him....what does THAT say?
meanwhile the white community called him trailer trash!

It seems that the black community as a whole only celebrates successful blacks if they're successful in music or sports! That in itself is racist!

It's interesting that most of all of my adulthood encounters with black people, be they coworkers, acquaintances or friends have been nothing like the stereotyped black person...but they usually have some sort of experience of being labelled a traitor at some point.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I also remember the black community claiming Bill Clinton as the first black president...the sleazier he got the more they embraced him....what does THAT say?
meanwhile the white community called him trailer trash!

It seems that the black community as a whole only celebrates successful blacks if they're successful in music or sports! That in itself is racist!

It's interesting that most of all of my adulthood encounters with black people, be they coworkers, acquaintances or friends have been nothing like the stereotyped black person...but they usually have some sort of experience of being labelled a traitor at some point.
Personally, I have no proof of Black people embracing Bill Clinton's behavior. I haven't heard of it. So I don't know if I can believe that. And I have never heard of any White people referring to Bill Clinton as "trailer trash". I need some proof of this.

As for the Blacks you have encountered, I have this to say. Black people who do not fit the stereotype often try to keep away from those that do.The different is that those who live up to the stereotype scream the loudest. That combined with the old adage "if it bleeds, it leads", it gives some unwanted attention to the worst of the Black population.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personally, I have no proof of Black people embracing Bill Clinton's behavior. I haven't heard of it. So I don't know if I can believe that. And I have never heard of any White people referring to Bill Clinton as "trailer trash". I need some proof of this.
You must be a Democrat to have ignored the medias constant harping about this....selective hearing/memory maybe.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/clin...-caucus-dinner

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1530&bih=872

Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
You must be a Democrat to have ignored the medias constant harping about this....selective hearing/memory maybe.

Or perhaps I am only 26 and I was a child when all of this happened. The only reason I ever heard of Bill Clinton being America's "first Black president" was because of his upbringing. I have never heard of White people calling him "trailer trash" or Blacks embracing some of his negative behavior. I was also 11 when the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal took place.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM

315 posts, read 256,000 times
No one gives a crap of the skin, its attitude. Hoodrats are hoodrats who want a hand out.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
No one gives a crap of the skin, its attitude. Hoodrats are hoodrats who want a hand out.
If this is really the case, then I would have to ask this. The unemployment rate for young Blacks with college diploma is as high as the unemployment rate for young Whites with only a high school diploma. I would really think about that.

And consider this, I have personal experiences to show you otherwise. There are some people out there who care more about race than the actually individual. Please answer this for me. I went into a bookstore, the only Black male there. I was not dressed like a hood rat. I was dressed like I came back from church. Most of the persons there were wearing casual clothes. Some were dressed like skateboarders. However, it was me who was followed around in the bookstore, no one else. I was the one who got treated like a suspect. How does that happen, even when a Black person composes himself like a regular person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies