Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
THE reasons blacks were slaves was because your African brothers captured and sold your ancestors... They are doing it to this day! Rather than whine about yesterday, why not take action today and save someone's tomorrow?

Oh, yeah...that takes effort.

...and as for the white slaves...they were treated much worse than black slaves.
Learn REAL history! Not just what you've been spoon fed.
Excuse me? I know more about history than you think, not your right wing version of it. The fact that you say "your African brothers captured and sold your ancestors" shows:

A) Alot of ignorance about Africa and how the slave trade worked.
B) or your own callous anger.

Africa is a continent of hundreds of different tribes. "African brothers" indeed. Different tribes fought against one another and put war captives into slavery. And many European explorers often raided the coast and captured slaves. It wasn't just Africans that played a part. Europeans did too.

White "slaves" were indentured servants in the USA. Sure, they were treated quite badly, but they became free after 7 years. Black slaves were slaves for life. Slaves were treated quite badly. Why else were Black slaves trying to start slave rebellions and run away? Personally, I would rather be dead than be a slave.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,584 times
So funny that this thread is still open, while the thread questioning White guys was not only locked, but DELETED.

any City-Data Moderator care to jump in and explain why?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
how many times has this been asked?
has it satisfied anyone?
I base how I like folks not on color or how they dress
I base how I like them on how they act
I am so sick of this question
I get hateful looks all the time from SOME black folks
but I do not judge a whole race simply because some of them are jerks
yes, there are some black folks that are jerks
just like there are some white folks that are jerks
I also get sick of hearing if you disagree with Obama then you hate black folks
good grief

Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
THE reasons blacks were slaves was because your African brothers captured and sold your ancestors... They are doing it to this day! Rather than whine about yesterday, why not take action today and save someone's tomorrow?

Oh, yeah...that takes effort.

...and as for the white slaves...they were treated much worse than black slaves.
Learn REAL history! Not just what you've been spoon fed.

Please enlighten us all on where you were educated, because judging from your drivel it appears to be either from Stromfront Elementary or Nonegro U. In either case your facts are either distorted or made up. Please provide cites where in this country where blacks OWNED white slaves. Slavery has been existed in this world for ages, but American slavery was the only form of slavery once it was over the powers to be have consciously kept former slaves and their decendents in perpetual servitude.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Are African American's discriminated against because they have dark skin, or something else?

Black individuals are discriminated against because of the accumulated negative experiences society has had in dealing with black people. In an ideal world everyone would be judged only by his or her own actions. But unfortunately, it is basic human nature to associate people with their group, so this kind of discrimination will be hard to eliminate.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are African American's discriminated against because they have dark skin, or something else?

Black individuals are discriminated against because of the accumulated negative experiences society has had in dealing with black people. In an ideal world everyone would be judged only by his or her own actions. But unfortunately, it is basic human nature to associate people with their group, so this kind of discrimination will be hard to eliminate.
The funny thing is that this discrimination was part of this society long before there were many blacks in North America. The "accumulated negative experiences" you cite were those that black people suffered from through slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, etc.

All the rest is so much uninformed bullshyt.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:58 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
All over the world the people with the darker skin are discriminated against by the people in power who have lighter skin. This is especially true with African Americans.

Many people say the main reason black people in America are discriminated against is they have black or dark skin. Do you think this is the true reason for the discrimination and hate or is it something else.

If the real reason is something other than their physical skin color then what is it?

Black-Americans are an ethnic group and the U.S. (like Latin America and most the colonized world) was built as a nation on a racial caste system. It gets tangled up in issues of power and money.

There is the issue of biological determinism too (e.g., homosexuality, race and IQ) that has long permeated Western thought. Some of the ancient Greek philosophy primitively promoted this concept of inheritance through birth determining your capabilities by stating that some men were born to be slaves and others free. The Catholic Church being inheritors of Greek philosophy and logic, with Augustine using Plato's logic, and Thomas Aquinas using Aristotle, adopted the view all people are human but in a hierarchical function some were born to rule and others to serve. It accepted and backed slavery which it inherited from the Romans, Greeks, and Semitic peoples. The Protestants would centuries later come along and not only accept slavery but argue blacks were not even humans.

By the 1800's the increased acceptance of the idea of descent with modification of species through evolutionary means sparked a lot of arguments that white people were the most evolved of all the races. British scientist set out to proves this scientifically on the island of Tasmania. When the last Tansmanian man died one scientist took skin from the corpse to make into a personal tobacco pouch. Other whites raided the casket to tear apart the corpse to take physical souvenirs.

The view of eugenics--biological determinism--during the first half of the 20th Century in the United States promoted the idea of racial segregation which help keep Jim Crow stay in place. This was not really accepted in Latin America because Catholicism, Vatican City, opposed eugenics so staunchly. However, various Catholic intellectuals throughout Latin America, like in Brazil, tweaked eugenic views to promote a concept of improving the stock of the nation through miscegenation through "whitening." Whereas in the United States the intellectual minds did not want a drop of black blood to "taint" the purity of their whiteness. You can still see some of these concepts still lingering in the United States and Latin America today.

Hypodescent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In societies that regard some races of people as dominant or superior and others as subordinate or inferior, hypodescent is the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union or mating between members of different socioeconomic groups or ethnic groups to the subordinate group.[1] The opposite practice is hyperdescent, in which children are assigned to the race that is considered dominant or superior.
Quote:
The American practice of applying a rule of hypodescent began its development in the colonies, as slavery was established. But, it developed in its most strict legal definitions and application after the end of slavery in the early 20th century. After the Reconstruction era, white Democrats regained power in southern states and reasserted white political supremacy through the passage of disfranchising legislation and constitutional amendments, as well as Jim Crow laws, including racial segregation. States followed this with more stringent laws classifying more persons as black based on traceable or any ancestry. For example, in 1822 Virginia, a person was considered legally white with up to one-fourth African ancestry (equivalent to one grandparent). Under its Racial Integrity Act of 1924, Virginia defined as black a person with any known African ancestry, no matter how many generations in the past. It also established a binary classification system for vital records, assigning persons to white or black categories (the latter was essentially all other, into which Native Americans were included.)
Here is a modern American--a Protestant--arguing for the genetic separation of whites and blacks. He does not want to lynch them. But genes are viewed as determining ones fate. He subscribes, as many did many decades ago, the mixed-race peoples of Latin America as evidence of the evil of Vatican City and Pope. Bearing in mind here that the latter opposed the mainstream scientific views of biological determinism had by scientists in the United States and Nazi Germany. Not that Vatican City was trying to increase the political and economic power of mestizos in Mexico or mulattoes and creoles in Louisiana. But the mere idea of miscegenation was enough for some to infer moral corruption.

Eric Phelps PART VII - Averting the race war - YouTube

Quote:
Uploaded on Mar 2, 2009
Eric Phelps interview continues as he discusses the "Pope's Mulattos" and how they're used to further ruin the black race in America by selling them out to the evil white men that run them.

Eric Phelps PART VIII - Racial Manipulation - YouTube

LOL. I LOVE this guy! he cracks me up. But he tells some part truths. Black-Americans were in some ways better off during the 1950s Jim Crow than they are today. A lot of elderly black folks say that. Black-Americans used to basically run their own stores and shops and due to segregation rich, middle-class, and poor black folks all lived in the same neighborhoods. And I think over 90% of black kids were born into two-parent homes. Back during the 1950s U.S. prisons were synonymous with white males too. Blacks weren't killing each other up.

But I don't agree with Phelps on most his views of course. I find the guy entertaining though. Today, his views are part of an extreme fringe group. But not so long ago many in the U.S. once held similar views of his about the negative impact of miscegenation.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Please enlighten us all on where you were educated, because judging from your drivel it appears to be either from Stromfront Elementary or Nonegro U. In either case your facts are either distorted or made up. Please provide cites where in this country where blacks OWNED white slaves. Slavery has been existed in this world for ages, but American slavery was the only form of slavery once it was over the powers to be have consciously kept former slaves and their decendents in perpetual servitude.
I already posted the links a few pages back...but since either you're illiterate or just too lazy to read or use google american blacl slave owners - Google Search

I'm sorry if histororical records contradict the drivel you've been spoon fed through movies...... Maybe pick up a book now and then instead...

Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

I find this to be inaccurate in many ways. Blacks were discriminated against long before "negative experiences". Blacks were discriminated against during slavery, after slavery, during Jim Crow. Blacks have endured this no matter what, and I do not believe behavior had anything to do with it.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I find this to be inaccurate in many ways. Blacks were discriminated against long before "negative experiences". Blacks were discriminated against during slavery, after slavery, during Jim Crow. Blacks have endured this no matter what, and I do not believe behavior had anything to do with it.
I was talking about reasons for anti-black discrimination in 2013. Circumstances and motivations were certainly different in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies