Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,253,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My life will not change but I will enjoy hearing conservatives whine about how America has been destroyed as I have for the past 4 years.
Can't rep ya so just a quick

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
The exact same thing that it means now for a pair of first-cousins who married in, for example, Florida (where it is allowed) and move to New Hampshire (where it is not allowed and where such out-of-state marriages are not recognized). New Hampshire would not recognize that marriage; the federal government would. Since roughly 1-in-1000 marriages in the United States are between first cousins, and since there are approximately 60 million marriages (2010 Census Bureau estimate), that means there are approximately 60,000 first-cousin marriages in the United States. Considering how common domestic interstate migration is, there are undoubtedly thousands of first-cousin couples right now living in states that do not recognize their outstate marriage.

There is abundant precedence concerning federal recognition of marriages performed in State A but disallowed in State B, where the couple married in State A now resides.
Agreed and that was exactly my point. Which is why a DOMA repeal is a big winner for same sex couples.

I have a good friend who is a Lesbian and her partner is from Argentina. Their attorney urged them to get married in NY, and says even though they reside in Pa. when DOMA goes down she will be able to sponsor her partner for a green card.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Pederasty is man and child.
Same sex marriage is two CONSENTING ADULTS.

Marriage should be two consenting, not related, adults.
Well then, why destroy DOMA? Just redefine what marriage is, and let that be defended.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Well then, why destroy DOMA? Just redefine what marriage is, and let that be defended.
Because DOMA gives the federal government the ability to decide for the states which state issued marriage licenses they will recognize. I thought you guys were all about states rights.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If DOMA is struck down...
If the court rules the fed has no business denying benefits to people in states that recognize gay marriage or unions...
If gay marriage is legalized...
If marital benefits are extended equally to all...
If marital benefits are removed...

What will you do? My life won't actually change, but there seems to be so much "crazy" opposition that I'm wondering what will you do.

Will you move to a different state? Different country? Campaign against gay marriage even more? Home-school your kids? Become Amish?

Do tell...
So gay marriage will become legal if DOMA is struck down?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,372,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Only in states that it is legal already.
If it struck down
  • Federal tax law will recognize LGBT marriages, allowing same-sex couples to reap the full benefits of itemizing deductions and have expanded ability to claim children as dependents.
  • Estate planning structures put in place by same-sex couples (wills and trusts) may have to be reconsidered and potentially unwound to maximize on the default protections received through marriage.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No. It will just require the federal government to recognize legal gay marriages preformed by the states that allow them (DOMA expressly forbids the federal government from recognizing any gay marriage granted by a state).

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,470,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Since gay couples will be getting all these benefits from the feds, the government will have less money for other things.

Expect less teachers, firefighters and policemen. Crumbling infrastructure. Long lines at airports. White house tours shut down. It will be a disaster and lives are at risk.

That's what liberals always say at the suggesstion of any type of tax break. Except when it's a tax break for gay folks.
Why would gays getting married and having the same rights and benefits that straight couples take for granted cause teachers etc to lose their jobs? If anything, the government will have more money, not less. Those marriage licenses come with a fee you know. The 18,000 couples that got married in California in the six months that it was legal paid 1.53 million dollars for their marriage licenses, if prop 8 had not passed, it would have been more than 3 million dollars in the first year. There would have also been many ceremonies in celebration of those unions and we would have spent a lot more than the $85 marriage license fee. If all 18,000 couples had spent just $3000 each couple it would have added another 54 million dollars to the income in the state. Just so you know, we gays pay more in taxes than straight married couples. Since we are also tax paying US citizens, we deserve the same privelages, rights and benefits, not less just for being gay.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Except that sucking sound of more tax dollars down the drain just got a little louder. That's what this is really about - money! How romantic eh?
It means that some of the tax dollars that we gay people pay into the system will come back to us. It is not just your tax dollars you know. We pay taxes too and thus have been subsidizing your failed marriages.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
I expect that there will be a lot of new movies and shows with a gay theme. Hollywood will be working around the clock to further normalize the gay lifestyle and ensure the continued erosion of morality.

I also expect that there will be a lot of lawsuits against businesses, organizations and religious institutions that want no part of embracing the homosexual lifestyle.
Oh boy, this is so tired. We are gay, but that does not mean we are immoral. And it is not a lifestyle, check the lifestyle section of the newspaper, it is mostly about religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.