Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,205,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
That is a sweet dog, Nojive

The OPs verbiage is incorrect. It reads: ..."toddler mauled to death by all pit bulls"....
You're correct, maybe a typo, I'll excuse it because people sometimes will do that. There's many threads on the forum where a title is sometimes misleading.

Oh, before we gave our dingo a new home, we'd adopted a bull terrier from the no kill shelter, and only had him a few weeks, and during that time, he'd snapped and bit both of us repeatedly. I really hated to give him up because of attachment. He looked like the Budweiser dog.

http://images.petsbest.com/marketing...pets/spuds.png

Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,978,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I would say the "fault" goes to whomever was supposed to be watching this baby. They are the ones that left an 18mo old baby alone with 7 dogs unsupervised.

If a drunk driver wrecks and kills someone, do you blame the car?
A car does not have instincts like a living, breathing, dog.... which is not civilized enough to refrain from tearing a possible meal apart...........which includes small children.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know.

But I'm seriously inquiring about the triggers that might have provoked an attack. The neighbor who lives behind me has a boxer/pitbull mix. He doesn't have a fenced in yard, though my backyard is fenced in, so he installed invisible fencing (partly attaching it to my fence). His dog became very aggressive, and every time I went out in my backyard the dog attacked the fence, even though it was getting shocked, and wouldn't stop barking and behaving aggressively. The dog had two incidents when it ran out of the yard and went after people walking by. He had to take the dog to a training center, to try to deal with its aggression issues. This past year, he brought the dog back, and the dog was much improved at first, but it's been becoming more aggressive, I think because of the invisible fencing. Recently the dog escaped from the yard again one morning when I was walking my dog. I immediately retreated with my dog into the house. That evening when I came home from work, I noticed the dog was now chained. And since it's been chained, it's begun barking hysterically at every passerby.

So, I am concerned about what might trigger this dog, and any behaviors I should avoid.

possible home invasion is not the only reason I own a weapon........

Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheReich View Post
No pictures of dogs.So no possible way ANYONE here knows it was a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix. I love Pits and they are great dogs...its bad owners that make these dogs go bad..
give me a break.... dogs have personalities just like humans.there are dogs that are just plain mean and will attack no matter how they are trained.........anyone who would own a dog that is capable of killing a human has some very serious mental issues.......

Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You can post all the links to statistics you want, but unless every dog that bit a person was DNA tested to ascertain their breed, every statistic is questionable. The vast majority of people who fear Pit Bulls wouldn't know a Pit if it walked up and licked their hand.

Here's a link from the ASPCA that you may be interested in reading, as it gives some valuable insights into not only the history, but the temperament of the breed(s) known as Pit Bulls.
well I doubt if any of those fatalities are attributed to any of the smaller breeds.......

Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpatters View Post
Of course another attack where a pitbull was blamed. Pitbulls get a bad name because of the bad owners who raise them and breed them. If a pitbull is raised in a loving environment, then the pitbull will not be aggressive and want to bite or fight. It's all about how the owners treat them. If you teach them to be mean and aggressive, then they will kill you but if you love them and give them affection they are absolutely wonderfully loving dogs. Pitbulls need a structured life with boundaries and socialization. They adjust well to that.
I have 2 pitbulls and 4 cats and they all get along great. My pits are big babies and they know I'm the boss. I socialize them with other dogs so they learn to be around other dogs. They are very high energy and love to chew but they are the best dogs in the world.
will those pit bulls be loving and not bite if they happen to get loose and run to the neighbors house and find that five year old playing on their swingset with some food in their hand???

Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM

17,383 posts, read 11,889,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The guy has failed to show the dog who the alpha male is.....until he does through proper training the dog will get worse. He needs to seek professional help even if he explores online training.
My son's pit/lab did the same thing at the age of two,we put more effort into his training and he's the best all around dog.

At times dog's tend to talk and people confuse it for growling, my shepherds have even been known for this.
Wow, you've just given a recipe for getting bitten. Probably badly. You show a dog like that "who the alpha is" and you'll find out. The hard way.

If you can't tell a growl from "talking" you will get bitten.

Yes, training will help. But the wrong training, especially online training, will make the situation worse.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
Maybe she shouln't have tickled a dog? How would you react.

some people get confused as to who the master is........

Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I love blanket statements like this. They show a lack of education on the topic. Did you know that there is no specific breed that is known as a "Pit Bull"? In fact, there are approximately 20 different breeds that have or have had in the past the appellation of "Pit Bull". Which of these breeds, exactly, is the one that you hate?

Your neighbor walked up and surprised a dog that was already on guard due to a foreign animal being in his territory (if a dog can see it, they own it, in their opinion). More than likely, the dog had given previous warning signs of aggressiveness that were dismissed as a "bad mood" or "being cranky". What it comes down to is the fact that your neighbor owned a dog, didn't bother to train it correctly, and made a seriously poor decision that led to her getting mauled. Now you're going to hate an entire group of dog breeds based on the way they look....

I swear, if a single person who supposedly hates Pit Bulls would bother to educate themselves about the breeds and about dogs in general, this conversation wouldn't be happening.
I am amazed that you do not see a problem with a dog,. ANY dog, that would bite its owners face off INSIDE their home, just because she touched that dog???

Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Years ago my cousin was bit on the face by a cocker spaniel. She was teasing the dog, the dog was tied up and the leash was caught so his leap towards her was short. She keep just enough distance and when the dog made another leap the leash broke free from the tangle and was able to bite her face.
I had one of those. It bit my two year old daughter on the face.My other daughter kept me from choking it to death. the next day it was put to death. I will NOT own a dog that bites people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.