Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I find this statement interesting since it is Whites who do the majority of hiring in this country and are the ones that actually make the immigration laws. I don't haer about educated whites giving a damn about the poor ones either.

Congress is on the way to adopting an immigration"reform" that's not being driven by whites. They're going to sell out the working class and the underclass, both black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
They also hire their own AND whites do not have as much animosity towards them as they do blacks.
Yup. Truth is, if you ever want to see a group that's ferocious towards a person who is either failing in school, or not working, look to older black people in particular. It's actually kind of funny, since a lot of them don't get that you can't simply walk up to a manufacturing plant and fill out an application form - so they see a younger person sitting at a computer for eight hours, and simply assume that they can't possibly be looking for work. But the idea that black communities don't care about jobs is every bit as laughable as the idea that they consider high achievement in school "acting white" - a basic poll of racial groups destroys the idea, but everyone loves the myth of the self-made man, so we keep on saying it.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Yup. Truth is, if you ever want to see a group that's ferocious towards a person who is either failing in school, or not working, look to older black people in particular. It's actually kind of funny, since a lot of them don't get that you can't simply walk up to a manufacturing plant and fill out an application form - so they see a younger person sitting at a computer for eight hours, and simply assume that they can't possibly be looking for work. But the idea that black communities don't care about jobs is every bit as laughable as the idea that they consider high achievement in school "acting white" - a basic poll of racial groups destroys the idea, but everyone loves the myth of the self-made man, so we keep on saying it.
And alot of people love to go by such a myth as a way of justifying their own prejudice.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
The only place that I have ever heard of that is on those "After School Specials" that they used to show years ago. Hell, when my father retire from the military and we ended up moving to an predominately black community, I was a dark nerdy kid that read heavily, made good grades and spoke with any slang and I was never accused of "acting white"

Older people regardless of race for the most part do not like change and learning how to use one is at least intimating and at most hard to learn.

The self made man of today are mainly those who got help from someone who already has it made

Old 03-31-2013, 09:50 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Bush junior loved illegals...
Bush senior loved illegals...
And you know that how?
Quote:
Hell Reagan loved illegals lol
No, he didn't. He stated that allowing the illegals to remain was a mistake.
Quote:
Illegal Immigration is a mute point, if you're against that make your own party.
No, I think I'll stay with the Republican party thanks.
Quote:
As I stated before, most companies know who they're gonna hired before they even post a ad for a opneing, this company still runs off the good ole boy's club, trust me.
And you know that how?
Quote:
If I was white I would fear illegal immigration, once they get IN, they bring everyone IN and you know this.
Which is one reason we need to stop granting citizenship to people born in this country if their parents are not citizens.
Quote:
BET founder is correct, we all know this....
And we know that how?
Quote:
we also know we weren't even supposed to become citizens of the USA...
Who is "we"?
Quote:
It's somethings you guys just need to accept. Half your whining and a republican can enter office tomorrow and it's business as usual, not much will change.
No, we don't need to accept anything. We are voting citizens and we have a right to free speech.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
No, actually, it doesn't destroy that idea.

The Poverty in Black Education is Not Due to Racial Discrimination or Lack of Money in D.C. - Capitalism Magazine

Black dropout rate in county triples - The Daily Progress: News

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/410...gOurFuture.pdf

Black people finish high school at lower rates than any other racial group. And this is despite efforts to lower the dropout rate.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 PM

152 posts, read 295,888 times
Quote:
The only place that I have ever heard of that is on those "After School Specials" that they used to show years ago. Hell, when my father retire from the military and we ended up moving to an predominately black community, I was a dark nerdy kid that read heavily, made good grades and spoke with any slang and I was never accused of "acting white"

Older people regardless of race for the most part do not like change and learning how to use one is at least intimating and at most hard to learn.

The self made man of today are mainly those who got help from someone who already has it made
I think you've made some really good points, but even if the vast majority of black people don't think making good grades is "acting white" that doesn't mean those who do feel that way don't exist somewhere. We're talking about ~15% of black people who are unemployed and it might be that a significant part of that ~15% do suffer from those sorts of insecurities. I have dealt with several inner city kids who were bullied for wanting to learn because other kids from their neighborhood accused them of "acting white." I certainly don't think they constitute a majority of black people, but every child's future is precious and even if only 0.01% of black children in the world felt this way, I would still want us to rally to help them build up their self-esteem.

The best way I knew how to deal with the situation was to try supplementing some of their readings with African history about many of the Royal Families from various countries in Africa and other great civilizations which predated many European successes to encourage them to realize that they do come from a proud lineage of thinkers and doers. I doubt that little push helped them overcome all their insecurities about becoming successful black men and women, but they did start taking a more active interest in reading history once they had some historical heroes to look up to who weren't European... I know a lot of people like to act as though education is "colorblind" but children certainly aren't and I think if teachers edited their learning material to better engage the diversity of their classrooms it could make a significant difference.

Even so, I don't think this is a permanent solution and there are many areas of society which could stand to become a little more inviting and supportive. Equal doesn't necessarily mean the same and we should embrace the diversity of our nation as much as possible to make it more user friendly to everyone. Even if it is a tiny, seemingly insignificant percent.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, actually, it doesn't destroy that idea.

The Poverty in Black Education is Not Due to Racial Discrimination or Lack of Money in D.C. - Capitalism Magazine

Black dropout rate in county triples - The Daily Progress: News

http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/410...gOurFuture.pdf

Black people finish high school at lower rates than any other racial group. And this is despite efforts to lower the dropout rate.
Even when Blacks graduate from college, they still have higher unemployment rates.

31.8% of young Blacks with only a high school diploma are unemployed, compared to 20.3% of young Whites with only a high school diploma.
19% of young Blacks with a college diploma are unemployed, compared to 8.4% of young Whites with a college diploma.

The class of 2011: Young workers face a dire labor market without a safety net | Economic Policy Institute

And there is another statistic to consider. When it comes to Blacks graduating with STEM degrees, only 30% of Black STEM graduates get a job in their field.

Study: Minorities underrepresented in STEM jobs - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

"Half of all non-Hispanic Asian STEM degree holders go into a STEM job. But the likelihood is lower — 30 percent — among Hispanics and non-Hispanic Black and American Indian and Alaska Native workers"

Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Even when Blacks graduate from college, they still have higher unemployment rates.

31.8% of young Blacks with only a high school diploma are unemployed, compared to 20.3% of young Whites with only a high school diploma.
19% of young Blacks with a college diploma are unemployed, compared to 8.4% of young Whites with a college diploma.

The class of 2011: Young workers face a dire labor market without a safety net | Economic Policy Institute

And there is another statistic to consider. When it comes to Blacks graduating with STEM degrees, only 30% of Black STEM graduates get a job in their field.

Study: Minorities underrepresented in STEM jobs - The Answer Sheet - The Washington Post

"Half of all non-Hispanic Asian STEM degree holders go into a STEM job. But the likelihood is lower — 30 percent — among Hispanics and non-Hispanic Black and American Indian and Alaska Native workers"
An issue we have in Houson is that the Traditionally AA schools (Prairie View and Texas Southern) are not taken seriously at all in the business community yet many still attend. Change that Prairie View A&M degree into UT and suddenly job offers follow.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
An issue we have in Houson is that the Traditionally AA schools (Prairie View and Texas Southern) are not taken seriously at all in the business community yet many still attend. Change that Prairie View A&M degree into UT and suddenly job offers follow.
Interesting perspective. My guess is that HBCU's are not respected. It doesn't surprise me. Throughout this nation's history, Blacks have been overlooked and not accepted, and this has happened in America's history.

Someone also mentioned that the low number of Black-owned businesses is another factor. There has been a growth of Black-owned businesses. That being said, more are needed. It is a combination of things. It isn't just one issue or another. Some say it's lack of education. Some say it's lack of Black-owned businesses. Some say it is entrenched racial discrimination in the job force. I look at it like this. Lacking education doesn't help. But for Blacks with college degrees, unemployment rates are still high compared to college graduates of other races and ethnicities. Discrimination is a part of it. There needs to be more businesses started as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies