Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know the OP much better. This isn't the only thread complaining about Blacks. And if you look through the thread, I've even addressed the issue. However, I address the issue in a way that I would see as more productive. I'm not excusing what those teenagers did. However, one way of offering solutions is to ask questions, rather than to sit there and mock the behavior. I asked the questions, I talked about important things such as fathers being absent from the home. I've even put up a video of Philadelphia's mayor addressing the issue of "flash mobs". There is a difference between addressing the issue, and using the issue to prop up an agenda of denigrating Blacks.

It is not facing the situation that is the issue. It is broad-sweeping generalizations, the sarcastic remarks, and generally using the event to look down on Blacks that disturbs me.
What broad generalizations? These flash mobs are almost exclusively committed by Blacks. If you want to infer all Blacks are flash mobbing that's on you. I would question your intelligence as a result but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They're just using tactics that are used in the wider discourse anytime someone shines a spotlight on African American dysfunction. They individuals are denounced as racist or Uncle Toms. Never are the issues addressed. What a sick community.

The fact that they are raising young people so detached that their idea of fun is going downtown and acting a fool is no big deal.
What you don't understand is that much of the Black American population has very little in common with the "hood rat" segment of the Black population. People like my father try to keep away from hood rats who do things like flash mobs.

And I just posted a video about the issue being addressed. The thing is, this kind of dysfunction only exists among those living in the inner city, specifically those who grow up in dysfunctional homes. This is mainly an inner city problem. Why should the rest of the Black population have to pay for the actions of a minority?

And what is the point of your broad-sweeping statements? If the point is to offer solutions, it isn't working. All it's doing is angering people.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
400 youths bothering people and the OP is just "complaining" by reporting this ?

Yes, denial and deflection run deep among some.

Soon enough the good people of Chicago will demand that something be done.
The spillover into what once were the "safe" areas won't be tolerated for long.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
What broad generalizations? These flash mobs are almost exclusively committed by Blacks. If you want to infer all Blacks are flash mobbing that's on you. I would question your intelligence as a result but whatever.
Which Blacks? When you say "Blacks", it can only be assumed that you mean all Blacks. You apply it to the entire Black population. When I discuss these issue, I apply it specifically to hood rats who live in the inner city, who often come from dysfuctional homes. I mention a specific segment of the Black population. Bill Cosby does this. Your posts seem to encourage an "us" vs. "them" mentality.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What you don't understand is that much of the Black American population has very little in common with the "hood rat" segment of the Black population. People like my father try to keep away from hood rats who do things like flash mobs.

And I just posted a video about the issue being addressed. The thing is, this kind of dysfunction only exists among those living in the inner city, specifically those who grow up in dysfunctional homes. This is mainly an inner city problem. Why should the rest of the Black population have to pay for the actions of a minority?

And what is the point of your broad-sweeping statements? If the point is to offer solutions, it isn't working. All it's doing is angering people.
And why are you taking this so personally ? If you don't live in the hood and don't flash mob then just comment on the content.

Black youth in inner cities have a growing problem that mayors are not addressing.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
This is called Wilding and it is not unique to Chicago, but does seem to happen there alot. You have a large population of teen's with nothing to do and up to no good.
I've often wondered if these kids aren't just bored. I noticed in the video's of this one the kids are well dressed (especially the girls). I admit I don't quite get it. It seems we've gone from driving around the drag, hanging out at the mall, to flash mobs.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And why are you taking this so personally ? If you don't live in the hood and don't flash mob then just comment on the content.

Black youth in inner cities have a growing problem that mayors are not addressing.
Why I am taking it personal? Because of the way people are mentioning the problem. I know this is about the "hood" and "inner city" youths growing up with bad role models, not to mention other problems. However, the way the problem is addressed is what is bothering me. This is about a specific segment of the Black population. However what I'm seeing is people saying "Blacks cause problems" or "Blacks do that" or....well, it isn't mentioning which specific part of the Black population. It looks alot like it is addressing Blacks as large.

I take it personal because of the way this issue is being discussed.

And Michael Nutter has addressed this issue(the mayor of Philadelphia). In fact, if you look back further in this thread, he has addressed it.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've often wondered if these kids aren't just bored. I noticed in the video's of this one the kids are well dressed (especially the girls). I admit I don't quite get it. It seems we've gone from driving around the drag, hanging out at the mall, to flash mobs.
Alot of it has to do with bad parenting. If the parents are not doing their job, this will affect the children. If there is no father in the house, this will cause problems too. Kids are not working or have anything to do with their time, well, it doesn't help. Another part is that many of these kids are not being taught personal responsibility.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
Very few people have addressed the topic of this thread, instead they choice to attack the character of the OP. Look, I don't know the guy, he may very well be a "self-hating black" or something. How does that take away from the fact that these flash mobs, mostly done by black youths, are terrorizing innocent people? All the deflection and spin isn't going to change that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I hate heretics more than I do pagans. If anyone embarrassed my demographic and subjected me to a backlash...I would be going ape over it. If I were an expat in China, and Americans were pulling this kind of crap, I would be splitting Americans heads. That's how I would feel about it. That is how I feel about it already since its bombs aways all too frequently. I already have to deal with it and it ticks me off.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you know that ? I've done tutoring and volunteer work and after the semester is over you never hear from them again or about them.
Because I get to know the individuals that I tutor. I am more involved in their lives than just teaching a subject. I don't work for a tutoring service.

Quote:
He is just blathering.
Please. Your whole thread is blathering. People answer you directly and you still skip around only to cosign with those that agree with you while at the same time dismissing actual discourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies