Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd still rather live here than Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM

359 posts, read 549,119 times
Actually I have been studying Toronto and Montreal, both cities seem to offer the same level of "urban experience" as Chicago, but without the crime, problems and mismanagement that Chicago has.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's not even racism. If Chicago never had one single black person in the city- You will still have this going on...
On what basis do you make this comment?

Latinos have lower median income and higher poverty than African Americans. I'm not aware of any Latino flash mobs, or Latino race-based attacks.

If it's all poverty, then why are the poorest Chicagoans not doing these mini-riots?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
I guess it's everyone elses fault, and they should not be deterred or punished.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post

Latinos have lower median income and higher poverty than African Americans. I'm not aware of any Latino flash mobs, or Latino race-based attacks.

If it's all poverty, then why are the poorest Chicagoans not doing these mini-riots?

Do we really need this kind of hardcore racism? Might be time to leave this board, if I wanted to post on stormfront, I would.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Actually I have been studying Toronto and Montreal, both cities seem to offer the same level of "urban experience" as Chicago, but without the crime, problems and mismanagement that Chicago has.
I will not trash a city I know noting about, but a few years ago, there were documentaries concerning drug abuse problems in Toronto. just sayin, no offense meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post

The mobsters arranged all of this through social media {twitter?}
All my spouse and I own are cell phones from 8 years ago. Must be people who can afford I phones and such. I know we can't afford them. An I phone for us would be surpassing luxury.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM

465 posts, read 872,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Do we really need this kind of hardcore racism? Might be time to leave this board, if I wanted to post on stormfront, I would.
I'm not understanding your comment. Are you saying this previous comment is racist?

It's now racist to report the identities of criminals? Is it also sexist to report their gender, or ageist to report their age?

It should be illegal to point out any identifying factors? Can we point out whether they're human or not, or is that discriminating against other animal species?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
What was racist about pointing out facts? Do you just call everyone a racist here or do you ever actually add to the discussion?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Since you asked me to correct you:

No. What I strongly implied (so strongly that I didn't really think this needed to be spelled out, but I'll to it just for you, because I care...) is that if a woman was scared of a group of teens, in Chicago, in relation to a story about "wildings" or whatever BS term we're calling them this month, she was probably white and the teens were probably back.

Only a moron would interpret that as meaning "of course a white person is going to be scared of a black person."

You, sir, are that moron. Congratulations. We'll have some parting gifts for you in the back.
By the way, I'm a female, not a sir

Yes she was cautiously scared.. I would be too if I saw a bunch of people that I perceived to be a possible danger. Its called street smarts, and for anyone to discount that gut feeling, then that person is naive. Who knows why she was intimidated? It could be that she had a right to feeling that way, and it does not mean it is a bad thing.

You still are being sarcastic with me - (calling me a moron) and judging my feelings. You are quite wrong in that. I am sahying that I can see her point. You would be too, if you were black for example and a bunch of people in hoods over their head come toward you. Again I am repeating my statement in hopes you have some compassion on someone who is afraid of a group of people coming to you,, please have some compassion and understanding for those who DO feel scared. Again, her being "scared" is my interpretation of the look on her face and what she said. She didn't say it in a hateful way, but as if she witnessed something like a person being hit by a train.

I really have an issue with people who judge others who feel a real reaction to something. It does not mean its a bad thing, it just is something someone feels in a situation. She should not be judged or I shoudl not be called a moron for expressing myself.

I think if young people want to be taken seriously, if they dont want to be feared, they ought to act like a mature adult, or at least a mature teenager, and if they come into a neighborhood should not be bumping into pedestrians as was reported. BUMPING INTO PEOPLE is not right. You would not like it either, I believe. Heck, I've been on the CTA and two people got into a loud screaming match the other day when one woman with a stroller would not move so that a person could get by her getting on the bus. If that would cause people to get to fighting, then I totally feel a person would get a reaction by having someone bump into them (which by the way is the way you get pickpocketed, when someone bumps into you, but also it is rude for someone to on purpose bump into you.

I still say, to those of you who "dont get it" you will continue to have a neighborhood like Englewood, where crime is winked at by some who dont snitch on their homies. Or the people who call a wonderful gentleman like Ben Carson an Uncle Tom because he doesn't act ghetto. Read the news on him and weep ... he is everything Obama should be. He makes so much sense, i wish he were president instead of that loser Obama. by the way, to those of you who voted for Obama just because you thought he was going to be your savior, I am sorry for you. I hope we survive the next 3 years.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Well two bystanders did get physically assaulted. It sounds like they haven't arrested anyone in connection with those attacks if they only arrested those fighting with each other.
The two people assaulted were in an unrelated incident on the Red Line subway. 11 people were arrested in that assault almost immediately.

Nothing above ground/Michigan Ave involved any assaults on pedestrians, robberies or property damage. I think people are getting the two different incidents confused. Basically just teens running around trying to cause a scene, but not acting out in violence towards tourists or stealing, breaking things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies