Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
The word "h*nkey" is so inoffensive that I have it written on a coaster on my coffee table. And this wasn't bought at some specialty colored racist shop. My (white) friend bought it for me at a crafts show. That's how completely useless of a "slur" it is.

Coasters aren't very big and don't have room for very many words. What exactly does this coaster say? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,380 times
It has a picture of George Jefferson on it and is captioned "Shut Up H*nkey!"

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
Quote:
I don't think you know what the word "hypocrite" means. Not liking what I say doesn't make it hypocritical. I know that in your mind I'm excusing racially provoked attacks because it feeds your rage boner, but I never said that, and nobody has. But if it makes you feel better to get mad about hypocrisy on the internet (real or imagined), have at it.
Why would I be mad?

Stop putting words in people's mouths.
I don't give a ****.

I'm simply saying you're a hypocrite.
Yes I know what a hypocrite is.

People say things to you because of race.
BAD.

People say things to others because of race.
NOT BAD

Hypocrisy.

Now shut up.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM

Maybe you should take your own advice about putting words in people's mouths. If you can show me where I said that, I'll buy you as many beers as you want. And not PBR. Good beers. Not even kidding; I've made a booze offer before and have made good on it. So show me where I said what you claim I did, and your tab's on me. Until then (which will be never, because it didn't happen), might I humbly suggest that you read the words that were written and not the words that you want to have been written? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Since we seem to be taking the "anti-white slurs" claim at face value for the moment, it's not just that they were being tossed around but rather they were the motivation for violent action targeted at people of a specific race. That's a bigger problem then just people having their feelings hurt. For Lorielicious to make a big deal of having a racial slur randomly tossed at her one evening while dismissing the apparent racial animus behind a violent mob action when races of the perpetrator/recipient are reversed is particularly hypocritical. When it happens to her, it's indicative of a racist city. When it happens to white people with battery and robbery thrown into the mix, it's a "rare occurence" even though it keeps happening.
Can I give you a million rep points for this post?

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM

517 posts, read 1,703,830 times
I didn't realise my term "anti-white slurs" would cause a stir with people. I'm not American born and maybe I just didn't expect the level of feeling here.

But to clarify that, I can only say if I was verbally attacked with the words "h*****", "cracker" etc yeah I'd take offense. Of course I would. If someone is even trying to insult you, then they're trying to control you. It's that simple. Arguing that you can't insult a white person with a racist slur because "being white is so awesomely powerful" just makes me laugh. If someone got in my face and called me a "carrot", the word is irrelevent anyway because it's about their anger and violent intention against you. A few people here seem to be in denial about that. It's as if being white means you have no recourse when someone tries to attack you. "oh you're white, well you have a great life anyway so quit complaining" haha.

It's not a huge deal to me, I don't lose sleep over it believe me. But I don't like coasters with the word "h*****" on them anymore than the word "cracker" used when beating on an old guy. It's all the same crap. No excuses and no explaining it away.

By some people's logic here, the Jews had no reason to be offended at their persecution because they nice lives prior to that and reportedly did well in business (I'm referring to their wealth in 30's Germany).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So it was all race-based fearmongering with no basis in reality, after all. Shocking. SHO. KING.

Welcome to Chicago. 21st century city with 19th century views on race.
The incident I was referring to was posted by someone on the news page. I can't find it now but I did save it from another thread elsewhere. Here it is:
Quote:
ShakenAndAwakened
I was visiting some relatives in Illinois (live in Ohio) and
I had the misfortune of having been shopping on the Mag Mile when this started happening. I have never felt more in fear for my life. I saw some white man about 60 years old with probably his grand daughter knocked to the ground, and his wallet stolen by 3 'teens'
I've never heard so many venomous racial taunts as they were kicking at the man and robbing him. He was screaming for his grand daughter to run, and i ran up to her and pulled her into a store entryway. The 3 'teens' and other urban youths gathering were screaming stuff like, 'mind your bidness you white b*tch, and a bunch of other taunts i couldn't even understand.

People in the store were already calling 911, and thankfully some police sirens blaring a couple blocks of way got them to flee the area, but not before kicking the man again, callling him a f'ing cracker, etc. etc.

I am still half shaking as I type this, the man was taken away by ambulance with multiple cuts and bruises, but i think he will be ok. (as ok as you could be after something like that), i feel awful for his grand daughter, she was really shaken up
Anyway, it is what it is.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Tb) The word "h*nkey" is so inoffensive that I have it written on a coaster on my coffee table. And this wasn't bought at some specialty colored racist shop. My (white) friend bought it for me at a crafts show. That's how completely useless of a "slur" it is.
Quote:
If you can show me where I said that, I'll buy you as many beers as you want. And not PBR. Good beers. Not even kidding; I've made a booze offer before and have made good on it. So show me where I said what you claim I did, and your tab's on me. Until then (which will be never, because it didn't happen), might I humbly suggest that you read the words that were written and not the words that you want to have been written? Thanks!

Saying something is not a slur does not make it not a slur.
kthnx

Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 PM

Yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of word lawyering to pretend saying "h*nkey" is a fairly innocuous "slur" is the same as saying racism is okay sometimes, as long as it's not directed at me. Nice try though.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of word lawyering to pretend saying "h*nkey" is a fairly innocuous "slur" is the same as saying racism is okay sometimes, as long as it's not directed at me. Nice try though.
Make a poll.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The Chicago Police Department has issued a statement that there have been no complaints/reports of assaults, property damage or robberies ... last evening. None.
Have anything to back this up? Video, reports and arrests suggest otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies