U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:45 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,955,349 times

Advertisements

The only people that are going to post on this thread are the ones who think this (or a similar) event will make a difference.

Since American "big business" (like one of the beer companies) is giving money to the other side, I'd have to wish you "good luck!" Until American companies and wealthy stockholders embrace this (which ain't ever gonna happen) all I can say is "Good luck!" You get the Walton family out there to protest illegal immigration and, well, we'd all love to see it. Americans are capitalists which basically means "make money any way you can." Immigrants embrace that philosophy which is why so many want to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,023,373 times
Well, I have no opinion on any proposed event, but instead want to suggest that your statement '"Americans are capitalists which basically means make 'money any way you can'" places a far too cynical besmirching of our country's legal wage-earning citizens. No, most Americans draw the line at breaking the laws of the land.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:30 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,955,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Well, I have no opinion on any proposed event, but instead want to suggest that your statement '"Americans are capitalists which basically means make 'money any way you can'" places a far too cynical besmirching of our country's legal wage-earning citizens. No, most Americans draw the line at breaking the laws of the land.
No they don't. That's why so many prominent people get nailed for hiring illegal help. They really don't draw the line at breaking the laws of the land. When Wal-Mart thought they could get away with it by hiring "outside contractors," they did it too.

In my business, I can give you examples every single day of the week. You might not like it, but that's how a lot of wealthy people make money.

You also don't see shareholders demanding companies only employ legal employees -- or even stop offshoring jobs. All shareholders care about is "how much money did my stock make?" If public companies can't be forced to hire only legal employees, how the heck do you think you are going to force private companies to do that?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 33,457,723 times
That sounds very interesting. I'll keep a watch on this and see how it's going and my husband and I would actually consider joining you. I'd be happy to post on the midwestern states about this.

ColdCanadian, you would be more then welcome there and yes, you would be helping to make a point. One of my best friends is Canadian. She grew up there and when she got her teaching degree, was required to become an American citizen. Two years later she had a friend who also became a teacher, but got to have dual citizenship. There was a law that changed in those two years. If it's a cause you're interested in, you should be there.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,931,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That sounds very interesting. I'll keep a watch on this and see how it's going and my husband and I would actually consider joining you. I'd be happy to post on the midwestern states about this.

ColdCanadian, you would be more then welcome there and yes, you would be helping to make a point. One of my best friends is Canadian. She grew up there and when she got her teaching degree, was required to become an American citizen. Two years later she had a friend who also became a teacher, but got to have dual citizenship. There was a law that changed in those two years. If it's a cause you're interested in, you should be there.
Sure I'm interested, but work comes first meaning I get work sporadically throughout the year and I get paid by the hour. Typically at least half the year is slow.

Also I'm generally afraid of spending money frivolously because I'm trying to stretch my now kinda-crappy current income into a large enough amount of savings that I can afford to retire. Not that I really want to be retired any time soon, but that's the only way I can legally be somewhere that's warm at least half the year.

I appreciate the encouragement though.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM

231 posts, read 464,277 times
Default I am an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Summer would be out for many people its too hot and humid in that area.
This one is my favorite. If you all want to really drive your point home, you might have to step out of your comfort zones a little bit. Those illegal immigrants have proven how bad they want to be in the US just by crossing that scorching desert. How many have died due to the heat alone? It`s passion and desire and desperation. It`s having your back against the wall. If people are worried about the heat, then I don`t think they have been pushed far enough. I don`t sense the passion here- That Wehategringos site- it is sad and hateful and scary. And full of passion and it is powerful. It stirs feelings and emotions. (It might be enough to fire you guys up- check it out) You guys are going to have to match those feelings- I don`t think you have to or should use hate, but it so much more than creativity and picture-cards. If you want to go march on Washington, just go do it. Make it the most important thing in your lives. You have to risk it all, because that is what it seems like the other side does.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:30 PM

504 posts, read 1,620,159 times
You are right we have to have the passion and willing to sacrifice, we are very comfortable people including myself thats why we have voted people in that we hoped had a little backbone.I do not want to see brown people as less than second class citizens, but neither do I want my neighbors and friends. I care about these people and sometimes I think if the Mexican Government wasn't so corrupt, we would have saved money by helping the Mexican Government as we helped Japan and Germany. We gave so much manufacturing to China, and now they can produce almost everything that we need except food. Why didn't we give Mexico and South America the same opportunity? Sometimes I think we are are our own worse enemy. I will go to Washington, not to offer a solution but to ask for one. Summer in Washington Dc is horrible I lived there and now I live in hotter and muggier Florida, your right again one must sacrifice but if you do not have to don't. Please tell me how you are allowed to live in Mexico, if you will.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM

231 posts, read 464,277 times
no problem- I teach EFL here, so I have a work permit. I`ve been here for 6 years, and if you have a skill they need or want, it is quite easy to get a job and permit. It is also easy to live here on a tourist VISA (if you live close to one of the borders, or have money to travel there whenever the VISA expires), or just simply live here illegally, because I know some people who do that too, and have never had a problem. However, those people that I know are not really a strain on society- they aren`t working, and certainly not recieving any benefits from the Mexican government. Kind of happily living in the shadows if you will. It`s a different story down here.

Last edited by gringo istmeŮo; 10-09-2006 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM

183 posts, read 1,140,422 times
Has anyone thought about getting on the agenda and speaking infront of congress on these issues.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,023,373 times
Personal notoriety is a dangerous thing in modern society. One of our longtime local activists that I personally knew who helmed the (now defunct) Valley Watchdog site went to protest the illegals' rallies here in L.A., only to find flyers at this event with his picture on it, his car make on it, and its license plate number with an admonition to make trouble for this man. His family and he have since moved out of Los Angeles and to another state.

Last edited by fastfilm; 10-09-2006 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or