Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
I'm sure they did, but again, you're only looking from your perspective. There are tons of parents out there who don't do their jobs as parents. Even if they do their job, teaching them more can only help.

Learning life skills is more important than learning the Pythagorean Theorem or the symbolism in The Scarlet Letter for 99% of students.
Learning to read and write is the most important thing for a child to learn, at 5 years old you don't really need to know about reproduction. Teaching them whats important is the key to success and when we have high school kids who can't read we are failing at the most important part of teaching.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Did you read the title of the thread before you posted? Why would you even be here if it bothers you so much?

It's not the governments job to teach the things parents are suppose to, the family unit has failed and that is what needs to be fixed. nothing the government does has anything to do with common sense.
Yes, but not all families DO teach the kids what they're supposed to. I really DID think I had been shot, maybe when I was tying my shoe or putting on my little roller skates. You should have seen the resultant hysteria! Sex was NEVER mentioned in my house. Even the picture of Michaelangelo's David in the family encyclopedia had a bandaid over his nether regions.
It just made me more and more curious and confused.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Learning to read and write is the most important thing for a child to learn, at 5 years old you don't really need to know about reproduction. Teaching them whats important is the key to success and when we have high school kids who can't read we are failing at the most important part of teaching.
I simply cannot believe you are still beating that poor dead horse.
It has been pointed out over and over to you that that is not what will be taught at that age, yet you completely refuse to see or understand that.
Why?????

Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
Quote:
Great, but teaching these other skills isn't getting in the way of teaching English. Reading and writing are still taught. If someone can't read by high school, it's the child's fault. Maybe he or she has a learning disability, in which case it is still not the fault of the school's. Any capable student willing to learn will have no problems learning academics while also learning life skills.

Education, or life for that matter, isn't black and white or right and left as some of you try to make it. You can have both.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Teaching health and consumer education are two very important parts of advancing in life. At the very worst, your kids will be exposed to more information beyond what you already teach them. If you're so concerned, you can have them tell you what they're learning and you can feel free to tell them what to believe and what not to believe.
Tell me, for what purpose does a 5 year old need to know about sex and be taught this in school?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Tell me, for what purpose does a 5 year old need to know about sex and be taught this in school?
For the last time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I simply cannot believe you are still beating that poor dead horse.
It has been pointed out over and over to you that that is not what will be taught at that age, yet you completely refuse to see or understand that.
Why?????

Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
It is more jungily outside since the loss of the family home units.

Predator and prey everywhere you go.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
One thing is great. There are Christian schools so the left cannot have power over all 5 year olds.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
One thing is great. There are Christian schools so the left cannot have power over all 5 year olds.

Can you prove this has anything to do specifically with "the left?" Didn't think so, especially based on how you ignore all of my points. Btw, I know lots of liberals who went to Christian schools - myself included, if you count a Methodist-founded college.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
And it your option to send your children to those private schools. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies