Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,379,498 times

Advertisements

Said the teacher, "Don't shout and swing it about, or the girls will be wanting one, too!"

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,233,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When I went to school I went to a public school and we read from the bible daily. We even prayed.. today the left would be fighting tooth and nail to separate God's word from the children and replace it with sex education.
Damn straight. I'd rather my children learn FACTS (sex education) than about some fictional sky daddy and I would have been the first to throw a fit if my kids had ever been told to pray at school.

Besides, how old are you? I'm 58 and I went to public school and I don't remember praying or reading from the bible at school.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova
When I went to school I went to a public school and we read from the bible daily. We even prayed.. today the left would be fighting tooth and nail to separate God's word from the children and replace it with sex education.
Well, yeah.
Science before sorcery.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 PM

334 posts, read 450,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
When you are perverted, you get off on the idea of teaching five year olds about sex.
Thay are NOT teaching about SEX, it is you guys that think of sex every time you talk about the human body. You guys don't seem to know there is a difference.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Which Bible? What prayers?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Schools are for teaching academics to advance in life. The left is all for getting into the personal lives of children.

How is teaching them human reproduction getting into their personal lives?

You just can't get past the "sex is dirty and only for making babies" idea stuck in your head.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 PM

229 posts, read 331,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well we're not talking about adults here but sex education for 4-5 year olds.
Precisely! My own thoughts on the matter are the same as below

Quote:
“I don’t think its age-appropriate,” parent Melissa Diebold told MyFoxChicago.com. “They have no concept of anything like that at that stage in life.”
Read more: Chicago public schools will start sex education in kindergarten | The Daily Caller
And for the record I'm an agnostic, so it's not just conservative Christians that are against something like this. I don't have children myself but I'm absolutely horrified at the mere thought of my nephews being exposed to this at such a young age.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknown67 View Post
Precisely! My own thoughts on the matter are the same as below

And for the record I'm an agnostic, so it's not just conservative Christians that are against something like this. I don't have children myself but I'm absolutely horrified at the mere thought of my nephews being exposed to this at such a young age.
So, you and others who disagree could opt out... or did you miss THAT part of the article?

Quote:
Parents can remove their children from the sexual health education program if they want
Personally I don't think it's too young, considering the proposed curriculum. It's not like they will be learning anything explicit, we're just talking basic anatomy and "where babies come from" kinda stuff. Didn't you start to learn those things around that age? My memory is a little fuzzy, but pretty sure that was about when I & my peers started asking the standard questions.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
P.S. Don't let the other posters confuse you, nobody (according to the article) is proposing they teach children about SEX. They even refer to it as sexual health education, and clearly outline what will be taught to each age group. So what is horrifying about your nephew learning basic anatomy and reproduction?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 AM

229 posts, read 331,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, you and others who disagree could opt out... or did you miss THAT part of the article?

Personally I don't think it's too young, considering the proposed curriculum. It's not like they will be learning anything explicit, we're just talking basic anatomy and "where babies come from" kinda stuff. Didn't you start to learn those things around that age? My memory is a little fuzzy, but pretty sure that was about when I & my peers started asking the standard questions.
I predicted a response like that so it comes as no surprise to me. The irony of the matter is that on many other issues we are probably in complete agreement but I'm on the opposite side in this issue. We are probably in agreement when it comes to other issues such as gay rights, civil liberties and the likes.

I can understand the reason for homeschooling now.

Last edited by TheUnknown67; 04-03-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.